FROADER's '98 4x4 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FROADER's '98 4x4

Update!

Nothing exciting, though. It made it into the garge and is now an additional shelf in there.

IMG_20110302_160111.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update!

Nothing exciting, though. It made it into the garge and is now an additional shelf in there.

IMG_20110302_160111.jpg

Need to add some more lift so you can stack more lumber under it :p:

Poor truck...:(

...I believe he has a life changing event in the next week or so...

..:shifty_ey ..Then he moves out to the garage with the Ranger and gets to producing like a madman...:biggthump

Nice! I was thinking about doing something like that to my b2, but was wondering how it would look... looks like I'll be doing it!

IMG_1975.jpg

*@%&*%*&^* Colin, I want your truck, just like it is....... and it's crammed in a garage, neglected, on the other side of the country!:mad::mad:

Man, sorry to hear no job ! !

I'm actively looking for a Ranger .......in my price range...... which is cheap. My daughter starts college in 6 weeks which means I also have little/no play money. :(

So I have a decision to make and would like some help... Some extra thoughts based on experience (and the fact they know my "style") from DB_1 and rockranger.

I put the utility bed up on CL and finally got a bite. The guy asked if I wanted to trade his regular bed and he'll also throw in some money. My question is do I want the bed and modify it like Kyle M. and a few others on TRS like below. This still utilizes the bed.

003-16.jpg

Or, do I want to build a truggy with bedsides, so it looks like the rig above, but without an actual bed?

Screenshot2010-12-04at115751PM.png

Or... just say f-it and back half/full truggy like below?

IMG_1976.jpg

Dave, I know you haven't wheeled without the bed yet and are in the process of building the back half, but what do you think?

Truggy.

I looked at this one last week, near Uwharrie. Wish it had been a Super Cab (and I had some $$$) but I liked the construction of the bed. Simple/sturdy steel framing with aluminum decking. I had not seen the decking used as floor planks. That might be an idea you could use even building a truggy. (Sorry, PAINT fugged up my copy/paste photos)
YellowFlatBedRonnieHoneycutt_sm.gif

flatbed_sm.jpg

If you not getting bites on the flatbed then taking his regular bed and some $$$$ might be a good move. The regular bed would probably be easier to sell.

Man, I'd snatch it up in a minute for what you listed at ................ if I wasn't on the other side of the country. :(

Nevermind.... The guy just told me it's a 2003 Mazda bed. If I'm going to get a bed, I wan the lines to match.

The lines do match. The Mazda bed is the partial step-side.

Unless, of course, if you mean you want a style side bed...

I vote Truggy! cause that's the direction we are going! lol

Kyle M setup is badass. You would have to shorten the frame and wheelbase though to get the same look.

It depends on how hard you want to wheel it. If you plan to go to Johnson valley and wheel hard the bed will not last. Once I have the money I plan to tub mine out. If you want a bed I will give you mine when I tube it. Some bondo needed.

Well after putting my flatbed plans on the back burner for a while I picked up a decent bed this weekend. It's 6'x8' and I may have to alter it a bit depending on if I end up with a regular cab or an extended cab truck. I might replace the wood with aluminum decking planks if I can find them reasonable. But the price was right and I couldn't pass it up. Now I'll have to get serious about finding a Ranger I guess.

DSC03427.jpg

Progress!!

Zukman & Zukmam came by to grab the flat bed and wheels and tires off of this thing. They brought the trailer and we had an interesting time getting it from the truck there.

photo2.jpg

It actually looks more like an off-road project now...

photo1.jpg

...and then back to being sad as a storage shelf/cupboard...

photo-4.jpg

Thanks again, Norm and Sue!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently i'm not good with using a 2x4 as a leverage device:p:

Back