installed Hid's in the x today.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installed Hid's in the x today....

pithon987

Reaction score
City, State
okc,oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 xlt
So I installed hid's in the truck today hi/lo beam ffor the headlights and also got some for the fogs I ordered the ddm tuning kit 55watts for both kits and they are 8000k so now that stupid check lamp light comes on everytime I turn it on........has anyone figured out a solution to get that problem fixed?
Thnks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 8000k bi-xenon HID's and I also get the bulb out indicator. I have done alot of research on it and it seems the only way to trick the computer into thinking regular bulbs are plugged in is to wire in 50w resistors into the high and low beam wire for each headlight. That's alot of work so I just hit the reset button when I turn on the headlights.

I have 8000k bi-xenon HID's and I also get the bulb out indicator. I have done alot of research on it and it seems the only way to trick the computer into thinking regular bulbs are plugged in is to wire in 50w resistors into the high and low beam wire for each headlight. That's alot of work so I just hit the reset button when I turn on the headlights.

Its not really hard I just did this like 2 says ago and whala! No more check bulb! =) it worked I bought my resistors off ebay for like $12 a pair....real easy!

Did you have to use 4 resistors to make it work? I figure one for high and one for low (each side). Was there enough wire in the stock harness to wire in the resistors without splicing alot of wire?

Did you have to use 4 resistors to make it work? I figure one for high and one for low (each side). Was there enough wire in the stock harness to wire in the resistors without splicing alot of wire?

Yes u need 4 one for high and one for low (each side) and I didn't splice into the wires I used the clips they sent me with the resistors so I don't cut and ruin the harness....real easy

I just installed some 55w VVME's 4300K Bixenons in my Ex today. I used some 6ohm/50w resistors in my lowbeams only. I never use the highs so I just passed. Finding a safe spot for the resistors was kinda pita. I also used some high temp silicone on the ends of the resistors to keep out water. Made a big difference lighting up the road.:)

I just got a set of the Bi-xenons in today. Installing them tonight. Can I ask what kit you have? Mine came with a harness and what looks like a relay box for the High/Low.

I just got a set of the Bi-xenons in today. Installing them tonight. Can I ask what kit you have? Mine came with a harness and what looks like a relay box for the High/Low.

You definitely want to use the relay kit. Real easy to do but get yourself some resistors to eliminate the bulb out message.

You definitely want to use the relay kit. Real easy to do but get yourself some resistors to eliminate the bulb out message.

Just got them installed. Took all of 15 minutes. Friggin BRIGHT man!!! so where do these resistors go? I read about them here on the forum but no one has a diagram posted? Or maybe I just missed it?

I mounted between the ballast and bulb. You need two resistors one on each side for the lows and another two if you want for the high. Just use the wire taps and one goes to the + (low beam) and - (low beam).

If someone could take a picture or draw a diagram on how to install the resistors that would be awesome. I understand how they work but am unsure exactly where they go in relation to the bulb/ballast/wire harness.

Thanks

u guys got pics of them installed

2011-02-27183019.jpg

2011-02-27182147.jpg

2011-02-27183029.jpg

2011-02-27183048.jpg

Remember you need 2 per side if your runnin hi/low hid's

lookin good pithon

Thanks for posting a pic. Where exactly did you splice the resistors? Did they come with instructions? My guess is no but I figured you could tell me in layman's terms. Good looking truck!

I just saw above, one end into the + and one into the -. I got that, where in the harness should I put them: before the ballast, after the ballast and before the bulb?

The HID relay harness only plugs into one side of the vehicle's headlight socket. The other side will be unused. I put one resistor between the ballast and bulb. And the other side is unused, so I just tapped into the factory wiring.

Gotcha. Thanks for dummmying it down for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011-02-27183019.jpg

2011-02-27182147.jpg

2011-02-27183029.jpg

2011-02-27183048.jpg

Remember you need 2 per side if your runnin hi/low hid's

where did you bought your hid kit for headlight and fog lights?? also where did you bought the resistors, for you explorer???

Back