• Register Today It's free!

Streaky windows

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
I know there is a thread here, but I can't find it now.

Just so we know it's not a new phenomenon, this was a previous generation I parked next to today.

IMG_20110920_181107.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The *******s. It's not a phenomennoeneemoonmomnom. Never could spell that word. That doesn't give me much hope for a cure.

I had this same problem.
The dealer fixed it.
I believe they cleaned the window channel.

I had this same problem.
The dealer fixed it.
I believe they cleaned the window channel.
Are you sure it is 100% gone? If so, I think you are the first on this forum to have it cleaned up. I have tried cleaning that strip in the sill with a few things including rubbing alcohol and the streak, although not as bad, is still there. Everytime I lower the window and stop it before it goes down completely, there will be a faint horizontal line across the glass where the window met the channel/sill. I now am in the habit of lowering the window all the way to avoid this particular problem.

Are you sure it is 100% gone? If so, I think you are the first on this forum to have it cleaned up. I have tried cleaning that strip in the sill with a few things including rubbing alcohol and the streak, although not as bad, is still there. Everytime I lower the window and stop it before it goes down completely, there will be a faint horizontal line across the glass where the window met the channel/sill. I now am in the habit of lowering the window all the way to avoid this particular problem.

I have never had the streaking problem, but I avoid partial lowering like you because it creates a line. I am able to clean it off with normal window cleaner, but it is an inconvenience.

comes off easily enough with a dry microfiber cloth.

Whats the cause of the streak? Grease?

I cringe thinking my shiny new Ex will always have dirty looking windows?

peterk9 said:

Mine is definately fixed.
The streaking is completely gone on both front windows (the back ones did not have the problem).
They said they cleaned the window channel/track.

Mine is definately fixed.
The streaking is completely gone on both front windows (the back ones did not have the problem).
They said they cleaned the window channel/track.

Glad to hear it's gone. I've yet to hear what the root cause of this was. It is still very annoying. I was hoping 6 months would have been long enough for it to go away. Most of the time you really can't clearly view your side mirrors. I've been waiting for a clear cut solution before I have the dealer pop off door panels, etc.

WingsfaninNC said:
Glad to hear it's gone. I've yet to hear what the root cause of this was. It is still very annoying. I was hoping 6 months would have been long enough for it to go away. Most of the time you really can't clearly view your side mirrors. I've been waiting for a clear cut solution before I have the dealer pop off door panels, etc.

They told me that they did not remove the door panels.

This same thing happens on my 2007 Mustang. On the mustang forums they've actually discovered the only way to fix it is by placing moleskin or Velcro (softside) on the window channel, the problem looks exactly like the picture posted above.

This same thing happens on my 2007 Mustang. On the mustang forums they've actually discovered the only way to fix it is by placing moleskin or Velcro (softside) on the window channel, the problem looks exactly like the picture posted above.

Whats the substance thats getting on the window?

Last I read was it's not actually a substance, but micro scratches from the rough weather trim in the channel. They discovered this when it kept occurring on aftermarket tint. So now all Mustang owners use the moleskin before they tint.

If I remember I will take a picture of my Mustang when I get home, it looks the same as the OP.

Back