Spdrcer34 is going V8!.... | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spdrcer34 is going V8!....

Very nice, lots of great details.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent out the Following parts to be Powdercoated:

Modified Throttle Body Elbow
Modified Coil Bracket
Modified Throttle Cable Bracket
Modified Fuel Pressure Regulator Bracket
Thermostat Housing
Upper Radiator Hose Tube

All are going to PC'd a color called Bengal Silver....which has a slight Metallic look to it, and it is VERY close to the color of the TrickFlow silver. I have already had my Accessory Brackets, and Timing Cover PC'd that color...

Today I received my Silicone Couplers for my new Throttle Body, and Lightning MAF. The OD of the MAC intake is 3". And the OD of the TB is 3.25, and the OD of the LMAF is 4". So I needed a 3.25"-3.00", and a 3.0"-4.0" to put it all together...

I need to find a 4" Stainless Steel Worm Clamp for the LMAF side..

Ryan

Attachments

• LightingMAFto75mmTB.jpg
    LightingMAFto75mmTB.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 649

Very nice!

I'm using your thread to try to convince my buddy to swap a V8 in his Expo. His has about 260k original engine and trans I believe. It's starting to miss now and he's done working on it, he wants to swap out another 4.0 OHV into it, but I'm trying to convince him to swap a 5 :D

....Good luck with that....

LOL

The EARLY part of my thread scares people who can't/don't weld...And this part is going to scare anyone that doesn't want to (or can't) spend that much on their project.

Ryan

I'm using yours to show him how much more badass! he can make it :D

I'm definitely gonna read it ALL when I get home from work in the morning, as for now I'm on slow mobile :(

I sent out the Following parts to be Powdercoated:

Modified Throttle Body Elbow
Modified Coil Bracket
Modified Throttle Cable Bracket
Modified Fuel Pressure Regulator Bracket
Thermostat Housing
Upper Radiator Hose Tube

All are going to PC'd a color called Bengal Silver....which has a slight Metallic look to it, and it is VERY close to the color of the TrickFlow silver. I have already had my Accessory Brackets, and Timing Cover PC'd that color...

Today I received my Silicone Couplers for my new Throttle Body, and Lightning MAF. The OD of the MAC intake is 3". And the OD of the TB is 3.25, and the OD of the LMAF is 4". So I needed a 3.25"-3.00", and a 3.0"-4.0" to put it all together...

I need to find a 4" Stainless Steel Worm Clamp for the LMAF side..

Ryan

NICE! You know I'm a fan of the powder. :D

Ryan, did you see any other sizes for inlet pipes when you made that up? I've only looked a bit, and didn't find "L" shaped pipe separately. I'd like a size closer to the 75mm TB and 90mm MAF. I think a 3.5" would be great if it'd fit at the radiator hose well.

I bought my Silicone Couplers from Silicone Intake Systems. Very fast shipping..I got them in 48 hrs!

In the Bending Reducer section they have a 4" to 3.5" 90* reducer.

Now, onto todays progress...I finished making the new coolant lines to the Heater core, along the passenger side.

I used a few -10 PushLock fittings to adapt the 5/8" Heater core and water pump hoses to accept a standard -10AN lines. Then I made up a couple -10 AQP lines to get it all plumbed....It looks awesome...

I accidentally ordered Black -10 AN couplers. I have since re-ordered Blue ones, they are on the way. I will keep the Black ones, and I'll use them on my daughter's `67 Mustang.

Ryan

Attachments

• HeaterCoreLines1.jpg
    HeaterCoreLines1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 619
  • HeaterCoreLines2.jpg
    HeaterCoreLines2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 623
  • HeaterCoreLines3.jpg
    HeaterCoreLines3.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 613

That's looking fine.

Check the heater control valve, by mouth if will. My stock HCV was still allowing hot coolant flow with the vacuum applied. It was heating my AC, making warm air. I got a new OEM part, which is designed a hair different. It's a little bigger, but stops flow completely. I didn't check any aftermarket brands, it wouldn't hurt to.

I have deleted A/C entirely. And that being the case, do I even need a HCV? I would like to clean up the vacuum lines a bit.

Yes, the HCV will help. With mine letting coolant through, my vent setting was hot, at any low temperature setting. All of the air goes through the heater core, so if you ever need the vent or defrost in warm weather, you don't want the air heated. Just check what you have, it may be fine. My old one functioned, but the valve inside did not fully block flow. The new design is a round ball with a hole drilled through it, it works better.

BTW, have you used the PTFE braided hoses from Silicone Intake Systems, how do you like them? I see that they use a different fitting design, and say that other fittings don't work with their hose. I like the design, and they may have a black braided line which is cheaper than other brands.

I have not used THOSE specific PTFE lines, but I have built some of the Aeroquip lines for Power Steering in the past. They are a PITA!

Seperating the PTFE/Nylon liner from the rest of the hose is VERY difficult.

For my high pressure hose, I'll continue to have them locally fabricated with a hose end crimping machine.

Ryan

Thanks, I can get lines made here too. I just want black hoses for the ATF, instead of SS braided if possible. The main brands charge more for the black nylon braided stuff, which makes no sense. I think what I saw there was $3.50 per foot, which would be great if it's actually black like there generic pictures. Night,

It's AMAZING how much of that stuff you CAN NOT SEE with all this crap in the way..

Today was a busy day, I COMPLETED the following...

Cut, assembled and mounted the last section of Fuel Feed Line
Cut, assembled and mounted the Return Line
Cut, assembled and mounted the FPR vacuum line
Set the FPR to 40psi
Cut and and attached the PCV lines
Removed the Torque Monster Headers
Removed the Valve Covers
Removed the Valve Cover Studs (they are VERY bad idea on TMH equipped vehicles!)
Installed the Valve Covers
Installed the TMH's (I can R&R each side in less than 20 min now!)
Lengthened the MAF wires
Lengthened the IAT wires
Ran the Spark Plug Wires
Mounted the Power Steering Return Line
Tightened the Upper Intake nuts (the rear drivers side is NEARLY impossible to reach)
Mounted the Big Square Plug above the Intake Manifold (Modified a 2nd gen Plug Mount)

I still have a few things to do...

Mount the Radiator
Run a new Over Flow line
Make a new MAF/filter mount (to replace the MAC piece that I can't use with a 90mm MAF)
Measure for a new (non-A/C) belt.

And after I get it running, I have a few OTHER things that I need to do...like replace the tie-rods, rebuild the sway bar bushings, mount the Nitrous Solenoids, and bottle..

But for NOW...I just need to get it running...

Attachments

• AlmostDone.jpg
    AlmostDone.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 551

IT RUNS....IT RUNS....IT RUNS!!!!

I had issues with the ECM, and had to have the stock tune rebuilt. I uploaded a STOCK tune, and with my second try, (after a 3 second cranking start attempt) It actually started right up!!!

There was ZERO water/coolant in it, so it only ran for 5 seconds.

I put the radiator in place, mounted everything up....went to fill up the engine with water to check for leaks....and appearantly I forgot to install a plug at the rear of the passenger side of the intake manifold. So water was pouring out as fast as I could pour it in....

OOPS!

Now I need to get it plugged...filled up...and get the exhaust done.....nothing like driving across town with open headers to the exhaust shop! LOL

Ryan

just went through just about all of this thread and all I can say is can we get a video of that startup before you get the exhaust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the hole I forgot to plug!

As soon as I found it, I remembered why I never plugged it. I didn't have a 3/8" NPT plug for the hole. And by the time I had everything dry fit, and placed....it covered the hole that needed to be plugged.....out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

Ryan

Attachments

• PlugHidden.jpg
    PlugHidden.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 506
  • PlugExposed.jpg
    PlugExposed.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 489
  • PlugFilled.jpg
    PlugFilled.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 494

Back