• Register Today It's free!

5R55E VB replacement 98 exp 4.0

buckwill

Reaction score
City, State
trona calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
i looked for the thread ive read and couldnt find it so here goes, i bought a never used test VB from active ebay tranny shop in fla,,the posts i have read, as i remember,, said that i must dromp part of the exhaust system. i removed the lower bolt from the cat that crosses under the trans after first shoting some PB blaster at the threads,, took some grunting and an 18 inch breaker bar but it came off after breaking it loose, no problem. That other one, the upper one could only have been put in BEFORE the body was put on the chassis,, the captive nut with the wing welded on was on my side but i couldnt turn it, it was alreadey wedged against the exhaust pipe. i dont have a choice, i must remove the bolt by going into that tiny space and trying to turn it from above, out of sight, and only able to touch it by jst the tiniest part of my fingertips,, one hand to either side of the exhaust pipe, one turning the 13 MM wrench,, one notch at a time, the other, the left,, guiding the box of the wrench onto and holding the head on the nut,, when it broke loose,, oh my the pain,, that wing on the captive nut swung into my finger,just under my wedding ring, pinning it against the exh pipe and i could not get loose, blood is running down my elbow, and of course that 13 mm box combi wrench is under my shoulder someplace. some yelling. a little cussing, denise pusehd te wrench with a broom under my hand and i was able to tighten it back enough to make that captive wing release me,,, some washing, a bandage and i got tha son a gun off,. the upper rider side exhaust is a sort of partial ball mount, it is not necessary to completely remove the coupling,just loosen the lower bolt . just swing ith cat out of the way opening up to remove the pan and filter/VB,, now just a few words about that line tech that put that bolt in from the top pretty much making removal a majic act, i hope when he goes home, his mother runs from under his porch and bites his ankle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive looked till im blue in my fce but cant find it,, can someone tell me the VB to transmission bolt torque numbers,,, if i could have found it, i wouldnt ask,, ive see where many guys said that someone who diddnt use proper spelling, punctuattion or syntax, they wouldnt bother reading or answering, that offebders were lazy,, well this is what i have and its not likely to change, imgratefull for what i do have,, buck

I can get it for you Buck, just give me a few minutes to find it. 97 inch/pounds, I step it up in three stages: 50, 75, then 97.
5R55E_VB_torque.jpg

VALVE BODY TORQUE SPECS

Separator plate-to-main control screws (T30): 53-71 Lb-in

Solenoid clamps-to-main control screws (gold 10mm): 53-71 Lb-in

Main control assembly-to-case screws (10mm): 71-97 Lb-in

Manual valve detent spring screw (10mm): 71-97 Lb-in

Fluid filter-to-main control assembly screw (10mm): 71-97 Lb-in

Reverse servo cover-to-case bolts (10mm): 106-124 Lb-in

Fluid pan-to-case screws (13mm): 115-133 Lb-in

Thank you for your service!

thanks, ireally appreciate the help,,,, someplace between 10 to three i droppeed 2 boltsinto the oil pan, i should have dove in there right away but didnt, one was balack like most the others, but one wa cad plated and significaantly longer than the others, do any you aave an idea where that goes

For the filter?

5R55EVBboltplacement2.jpg

holder

thanks, ireally appreciate the help,,,, someplace between 10 to three i droppeed 2 boltsinto the oil pan, i should have dove in there right away but didnt, one was balack like most the others, but one wa cad plated and significaantly longer than the others, do any you aave an idea where that goes

You need one of these:
Holder.jpg

There are several lengths on bolts that hold the valve body.

thanks to all you guys for helping,, this is exactly what i ndeded,, thanks, to sedition an anybody else for your posts buck thanks doom

You need one of these:
View attachment 67570
There are several lengths on bolts that hold the valve body.

i did exactly that,, i used to use egg cartons for rocker arm stuff, keep everything together,, now im gint to braze a pipe bushing and quarter inch plug in the pan, my garage floor is a mess, one hand holding it up and pan full of oil, got away from me

thanks drdoom and sedotion,, i brazed a castele nut castele down and half inch bolt and washer for oil drain. works slick,, can someone tell mei if theres a spring under reverse servo,, i cant find one but in other trans seems theres always been one, looks like there should be one here, ive found pics on net with and without,, whats with that, i had all theparts and no spring buck,, oh thanks in advance

thanks, thats kinda what i thought, i didnt remember one fallin out but i found pics with a spring, very confusin, thanks

well SUCCESS,the VB change worked.. new oil 7 qts, half quart seafoam trans tune up, new filte,,, roil an filter on engine whie i had it in the air, test drive was good, surprised mem,,i kinda expected some kinda problem,,m, OD light is out, didnt blikn,, something strange, while it was on jackstands, i cycled trans thru gears to listen for noises,,the speedo didnt work,, does speed come from front wheels???,,, worked fine on test drive,, thanks for help and info,,i made a trans pan drain with a body washer brazed to 1/2 X 3/4 bolt, and castle nut on the inside of the pan brazed castles down to provide mostly last drop of the trans oil,, then neoprene washer to seal, wound up looking almost exactly like the engine drain plug,, buck my costs were 162.00 for new VB from Ebay,, 40 something for mercon V, and 20 sme and change for new filter an 13 for seafoam, i fully expected to need new trans, so im ahead, buck

Attachments

• 5R55E valve boduy and torque sequence.jpg
    5R55E valve boduy and torque sequence.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,070

Good job, Buck.

Back