2nd gen Explorer V8 headers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen Explorer V8 headers

i am frustrated with Bob of TMH. i have been trying to get him to build me a set of his newest edition, the 1-1/2 to 1-5/8 stepped headers for my Mounty. we have talked on numerous occasions over the last 4 months and i still have no real date. communication is terrible. he has never called me back and 1 out of 10 times i try to call, he picks up. to his credit, he told me he wouldnt take a penny or promise shipment until he had a perfect set of headers. but i am putting my new engine in in 1 month and i need some friggin headers and the standard TM's won't flow enough.

well, necessity is the mother of invention, so i decided to come up with my own design. i did this before on my 351w based mounty project and it turned out well, so i thought i would give it a go with the 302 engine. so, i started by measuring and building the engine and engine bay obstructions in CAD. then, i designed my headers in 3D. gotta say they are pretty nice! i used a 1-5/8 primary to a 4 in 1 collector with a 2-1/2 exit, 2 bolt flange and a ball flange gasket donut. they exit near where the stockers do, but without a set of stockers in hand, measuring through the wheel well openings is the best i could do. doesn't really matter, because to take advantage of these headers, i will need a custom 2-1/2 y-pipe. the pipes all run down from the head flange. none of this up and over crap and no 2 piece bolt together primaries.

i am very satisfied with the clearances around parts and there are no kinks around the steering shaft. the DS header should go in easy enough with only disconnecting the steering shaft from the column and swinging it out. the PS header may be more difficult. hard to tell without actually trying it. it may have to go in from below by removing the starter, which wouldnt be so bad. the only sticky point is i dont think the dipstick will route through its normal path, but a SN95 mustang dipstick might work. easy enough to mess with after the fact.

ok, so my question here is would anyone be interested in buying a set of these for their 2nd gen? it would be nice to have an alternative to TMH, but i won't put in the extra effort to test, productionize and have them professionally built if there aren't any takers. this isn't a call for money or commitment, just an indication of potential customers. i will do my best to keep prices in line with the competition, so plan on 700-800 for a set with all the hardware and gaskets. maybe even a new dipstick and tube if needed. 1 size will fit all for these head flanges...same as every other aftermarket mustang header on the market. i think even the bung for EGR would be there regardless. i would just sell a longer flexible EGR tube separately (since the location would be farther away than the stocker).

here are some teaser pics of the model...

Attachments

• DS header.jpg
    DS header.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4,218
  • PS header.jpg
    PS header.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,663

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice!

I'd buy but after some persistence finally got my TMHs not too long ago. Nice to have options tho!

sorry i dont have a better pic but,

DSC01321_Medium_.jpg

she's pretty tight in there even without the starter.

Wow, Steve I really hoped for more interest here. I know you could put out a good set of tubes, and , competition is always good. I am very interested.

Bump

I'm interested but won't be doing anything with exhaust until after this summer. One thing I am concerned about is the 1_5/8" primary.... That seems pretty big for a 302 that hasn't seen a bit of modification. Other than that, the design looks great. Definitely looks like it would beat the hell out of the Ford Racing headers.

What are your thoughts about the size issue?

i don't think the 1-5/8 is optimal for a stock engine and exhaust system, but you are in the NEED FOR SPEED section. remember, above all else, this is a Mustang engine and a damn good one at that! its just being choked off by a sorry excuse for an exhaust system and a really small cam. everyone who modifies their ENTIRE powertrain, is using time tested mustang aftermarket parts. why would the headers be different? TMH are great, but i have spent alot of time analyzing what makes them good and where they lack. ignoring the fact that breathing through a straw would be better than the stock manifolds, the header flanges match the head port shape to reduce turbulance. also, the tubes enter the collector in order of the firing sequence to enhance cylinder scavaging. then, the 1-1/2 tubes are well suited for the low lift/low duration cam to keep velocity up for further scavaging effects. the problem is the formula goes south on a modified engine and even worse for a stroker engine.

ask yourself this...do you think a stock explorer engine makes better low end torque than a gt-40 crate engine? you'd be wrong if you said yes. not only does the crate engine make equal torque to the explorer engine at 2k and 3k, but it then starts to make MORE torque after the explorer mill peters out. do you think ford's dyno numbers were done with a set of 1-1/2 headers? hell no! they were 1-5/8! i am by no means an exhaust dynamics engineer, but i can piece together information ot make an informed guess.

that said, i have been working at finding the components to make these, but it appears that only long tube header components are available. gonna keep looking.

Well, I don't mean for the comparison to a stock 5.0, more like anything that is only very lightly modified... Then again, you are taking advantage of all the room you've got there, so you made those bends pretty big, so I guess velocities would stay pretty high even if you were just running a mildly aggressive cam. What are the lengths on those primaries? What kind of pipe are you looking for?

Id take 2 sets, cousin is looking for some as well

I'm still here, lurking......and I would buy a set....

Ryan

I'd def take a set too.

i have some parts on order to make a prototype. i have no idea when they will get here. i ordered them a month ago! doesn't matter though. i am spread pretty thin these days. besides my job and family, i am doing a part time design gig for an automatic box glueing machine. i am also working on productionizing the worlds first bolt-in tow hook bracket for mustangs. cant believe its a worlds first, but it is! there is no product on the market to bolt on a track recovery tow hook without cutting, welding or drilling...not even by Ford! the 2012 BOSS 302 Laguna Seca doesn't even get one!

anywho, i am VERY busy! my engine is waiting for me to put in the truck. i am just waiting for the parts and some time. keep posting if you would buy a set. its motivation to get this thing going:)

I'm interested in the tow hook too,for my '94 GT.Thought about trying to make the headers myself too,but like you,spread pretty thin these days,and just starting to move into a new(old) house,don't even have the garage set up yet,you start making them,they will sell like hotcakes on here.

i'd be interested in your headers. what are you figuring on a price range? Also, i have a '98 5.0 awd that i'm slowly building up, and was wondering what any other good mods were. i've installed a set of mufflers after the second set of cats and a cone airfilter adapter plate from Kursk motorsports. I'd like to make it a SUPER quick awd. a poor man's sti. one last question, saw a thread about electric fans and was wondering what the correct size would be? i'm a pro at blowin money away and would like to step away from that habit. thank you.

Unfortunately, you can't make these things quick without money or at least fab ability. If you can get them to work right, turbos are probably the best way to do it. Second would be a stroker. I havediscussed before, the importance of torque to make these things move. They have zero aerodynamics which make the acceleration effort more difficult. The trans is the next problem. The gearing is all wrong. 1st isn't deep enough and the rpm drop between 1st and 2nd makes it fall on it's face. Need alot of low end torque to overcome these issues, as well as a decent top end so you can wind out first and shift into second at a reasonable rpm.

If you could get these into production how long would it take? I have $900 to spend on headers and the ones on my mounty are cracked as of now. If you could have some within the next year I'd a sure sale

i will know more in may, but right now, i don't see an issue with production in under a year. i am thinking these would have to be small quantity produced to order or passed off to a header manufacturer. we will see.

Bump, interesting. I see a little light in the tunnel. Good luck there, keep at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back