• Register Today It's free!

thermostat trouble

Type 3 TJ

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Sport Trac XLT
My sportrac started leaking from the thermostat so i took it to Red Mccombs ford west and paid over $400 to get it fixed. Well it started leaking again so i called and guess what im 7 days past the one year warranty. SO im doing it myself. I got it pulled apart and ALL the DIYer say NO silicone guess what i find. All you ford dudes, is this normal? Looked like it was leaking from the sensors. AND the thermostat has rust on it. Should i get all new stuff for over $100 or get new seals and clean and put back together?

IMG084.jpg

IMG087.jpg

IMG088.jpg

IMG089.jpg

IMG090.jpg

IMG091.jpg

IMG092.jpg

IMG093.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As7xUNY0S_I

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having a very hard time believing ANY Ford dealer would do that.
Any use of sealant without o-ring seals is unlikely and unacceptable.
Take as many pics as possible and contact Ford service if it's true. GL

I got it all cleaned up and installed new o-rings and sensors. Now no leaks :thumbup:

IMG100.jpg

IMG101.jpg

Good job! I would inform Ford customer service about their $400 dealer "repair".

Good job! I would inform Ford customer service about their $400 dealer "repair".

Thanks! I did, I called and left a detailed message for the Service Manager and also posted all the pics on their facebook. :D Let see if he calls me back. If not i'll call his boss.

I got a call from the service manager today. He said he would pay for the new parts i had to get at autozone($32). I said because i had to take a day and fix their mess up how about paying me back the labor i paid them($245.86). He said he would call me back tomorrow about it. Will see what happens.

Well looks like they are accepting responsibility better than most businesses.

I got a call back, they will only pay for the parts i had to buy. $32 I guess im not going back there for any warranty work.

Back