XLS Bumper Swap

Kkurtis

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hi there all!
I've got a 2004 XLS and I absolutely dread the bumper it came with, the one without the factory fog lights. Does anyone know if switching the bumper to one that has the lights in it is possible, like do all the brackets and all that line up the same as the XLS model?
Or is it also possible to modify the current bumper the accept the factory fog lights?
Thanks a ton!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there all!
I've got a 2004 XLS and I absolutely dread the bumper it came with, the one without the factory fog lights. Does anyone know if switching the bumper to one that has the lights in it is possible, like do all the brackets and all that line up the same as the XLS model?
Or is it also possible to modify the current bumper the accept the factory fog lights?
Thanks a ton!

Yes, it is definitely possible. They sell the entire bumper + fog lights on Ebay.

It would be much easier to buy a new bumper with the bezels than to modify yours. But, if you want to save money, you can always buy some driving lights from Hella or somewhere and mount them near the bottom of your current bumper instead.. just an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-EXPLO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1d426889&vxp=mtr

Keep checking junkyards! I plan to do a swap when I find the right color combo!

And it should be relatively easy to do the swap yourself.

I had both my bumper covers off already when I did my body lift and it was quite straight forward.

I picked up an XLT bumper cover for my XLS and realized after I put it on that the molding isnt the same width as my factory wheel well moldings...and thoughts?
IMG_20130219_1033261.jpg

IMG_20130219_1149251.jpg

IMG_20130219_1149541.jpg

Late reply but I've got the same exact black XLS and bumper too and i have to say i prefer this bumper than others. I feel this can take more wear and tear and kind of has a rugged feel instead of a cheap feel. Only problem is fitting a fog light in there. I'm thinking an LED lamp or those in the spaces provided in the bumper.

I picked up an XLT bumper cover for my XLS and realized after I put it on that the molding isnt the same width as my factory wheel well moldings...and thoughts?

that is a great looking ex. what is your setup I have a red xls and I really want to do a bumper swap like that to mine.

IMG_20130219_1033261.jpg

IMG_20130219_1149251.jpg

IMG_20130219_1149541.jpg

xls to xlt

What did you do for wiring and switches? Did the xlt switch fit the xls wiring harness inside? Where did you tap the harness up front to get power to the lights up front? Or did you run a completely separate harness for the lights? I just did a bumper swap for my xls, but have not touched the wiring yet. Thanks in advance.

Back