How To! Repaint Interior Trim (Smartly) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To! Repaint Interior Trim (Smartly)

Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
Good Evening To ALL!

First off I'd like to say i'm am SO against spray paint. I've always had terrible outcomes. However this time was different. I cannot stress how important it is to take your time!!!! With that being said here goes!

So does anyone else have that ugly "wood" trim for there interior? Well I do. (Did). I really, really, really hate wood, unless we're talking real deal inside. But lets be honest this isn't a Tesla. So in order to turn...

THIS
b3u8h2.jpg

Into something more stomachable.
First things first you'll need to gather your supplies.
1. Interior Trim (Obvious)
1-1/2. Painters Tape
2. Dawn Dish Soap and warm water (w
3. 1000 Grit sand paper
4. Rubbing Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol (w/ Lint Free Towels)
5. Primer, and Spray Paint of Choice
6. Clear Coat

Once everything is stripped from the truck and laid out around your work area grab a sponge and clean the pieces very thoroughly. This will help strip the oils/preservatives off of the plastic.

After giving the pieces a good cleaning take the 1000 grit sand paper and give the pieces some TLC. Very carefully sand away, very light pressure. All we're trying to do is take some of the clear coat off as well as rough up the surface so the primer will adhere better.

Then again give them a good cleaning with the dish soap (Again to strip some of the particles/preservatives)
Dry the pieces off with the lint free cloths, and set aside until all the pieces are really dry.

Now that all the pieces are dry, take the alcohol of your choice and rub it down generously. (Used for getting the last of the preservatives and oils off.)

Now for the fun part! Get the primer ready. I suggest a spray handle to clip onto the paint can to give more leverage and accurate spraying.

I went with Rust-OLeum brands.
ojigpt.jpg

The only piece that will need will need some tape (unless you're putting designs on your trim) is your center piece. which will look like so
2lvli4o.jpg

After taping up and laying out to spray grab the primer and give it a light coating. LIGHT. Let it dry and spray again. After a few layers and it's completely covered let it SIT! About 8 hours worth of drying will suffice (depending on where you are in the world and the climate). Results follow.
Primer_Progress2.jpg

After all the priming it's time for the actual paint. Once again light coats allowing about 30 minutes of dry time. Repeat this step as many times until you are satisfied with the coating. I do not suggest more than 4 coats. Make sure its covered. Little comparing and picture
Sandedand_First_Coat.jpg

Time for that clear coat. Follow the same steps for priming and painting (i'm sure most of you all know how to paint). Once satisfied let it sit. FOR DAYS. No touching, moving, looking, smelling, thinking, ANYTHING. Find a dry hot place. I chose the back of my truck because it's insulated, dry, and gets hot here in the summer so it was almost perfect. But find what suits it best.
Drying_Paint.jpg

Final results.
Done_Console.jpg

After_Collage.jpg

Before_After.jpg

And here's my truck just because
Babes.jpg

I'm sorry for it being a little broad. I'm new to doing write ups! Please if you guys have any questions let me know! Also any advice please don't be afraid to let me know! Thanks for looking and hope it helps someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been wanting to do this forever.. but how the heck can I pop those pieces out? Also, is there a specific name for these parts? I'm looking on RockAuto and I can't find anything like the pieces for the trim.

I've been wanting to do this forever.. but how the heck can I pop those pieces out? Also, is there a specific name for these parts? I'm looking on RockAuto and I can't find anything like the pieces for the trim.

Hey good morning. As far as the pieces popping out goes they're all clips/pins. The only thing with screws is the AC control piece on the dash console. Other than that it's pretty easy. Taking the electrical pieces out involves a flat head and pennies. I'll send some links. As far as the part numbers go let me do some searching

Jacob -

what is the head unit ?

Do you have it hooked up to the rear camera ?

PS: Now you have me thinking about repainting mine. Do you worry about chipping it or scratching ?

The head unit is the Pioneer AVH-X2800BS, It's
Jacob -

what is the head unit ?

Do you have it hooked up to the rear camera ?

PS: Now you have me thinking about repainting mine. Do you worry about chipping it or scratching ?

The head unit is the Pioneer AVH-X2800BS, It's equipped to hook up to a rear camera if I had one, but no it's not. It's the most upgraded Pioneer DVD head unit without having navigation (We have phones). but I do have the unit modded where I can play movies even with the car in motion just so the wife doesn't get toooo bored while we travel.

And I did worry at first with the paint chipping. However the longer it's been sitting the harder the paint is becoming. I put quite a bit of clear coat on. It's very smooth and "acrylic" feeling. I'll keep you updated on the condition. All the research I did before hand was saying this is the best method without chipping. Plus the durability reviews people were giving was pretty high. the pictures don't do it justice. It's looks 500x's better in person than the standard trim colors.

Also I found what should be what you're looking for. The part number showing on the door handle assembly electrical housing trim piece is "14524". However I don't think you can buy this separately. Here's the link if you'd like to dig a little deeper. I will as well. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2008&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Thanks Jacob -

That is helpful.

I need to find the model number with Nav option.

Thanks Jacob -

That is helpful.

I need to find the model number with Nav option.

So this is what you're going to be basing off of. I prefer Pioneer over most brands because I was raised on them, and also they've never really given me any trouble. This is the top of the line In-dash Nav/radio. A little bit more pricey, but if you HAVE to have GPS this is what I would buy. But phones also have GPS that is basically free with your data plan.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...ck-black/4901313.p?id=bb4901313&skuId=4901313

also the center console that I painted that houses the head unit and all the controls number is "<04023" however it comes with a kit, at least from what ford sells. I hope this helps a little bit !
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2008&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Good Evening To ALL!

First off I'd like to say i'm am SO against spray paint. I've always had terrible outcomes. However this time was different. I cannot stress how important it is to take your time!!!! With that being said here goes!

So does anyone else have that ugly "wood" trim for there interior? Well I do. (Did). I really, really, really hate wood, unless we're talking real deal inside. But lets be honest this isn't a Tesla. So in order to turn...

THIS
b3u8h2.jpg

Into something more stomachable.
First things first you'll need to gather your supplies.
1. Interior Trim (Obvious)
1-1/2. Painters Tape
2. Dawn Dish Soap and warm water (w
3. 1000 Grit sand paper
4. Rubbing Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol (w/ Lint Free Towels)
5. Primer, and Spray Paint of Choice
6. Clear Coat

Once everything is stripped from the truck and laid out around your work area grab a sponge and clean the pieces very thoroughly. This will help strip the oils/preservatives off of the plastic.

After giving the pieces a good cleaning take the 1000 grit sand paper and give the pieces some TLC. Very carefully sand away, very light pressure. All we're trying to do is take some of the clear coat off as well as rough up the surface so the primer will adhere better.

Then again give them a good cleaning with the dish soap (Again to strip some of the particles/preservatives)
Dry the pieces off with the lint free cloths, and set aside until all the pieces are really dry.

Now that all the pieces are dry, take the alcohol of your choice and rub it down generously. (Used for getting the last of the preservatives and oils off.)

Now for the fun part! Get the primer ready. I suggest a spray handle to clip onto the paint can to give more leverage and accurate spraying.

I went with Rust-OLeum brands.
ojigpt.jpg

The only piece that will need will need some tape (unless you're putting designs on your trim) is your center piece. which will look like so
2lvli4o.jpg

After taping up and laying out to spray grab the primer and give it a light coating. LIGHT. Let it dry and spray again. After a few layers and it's completely covered let it SIT! About 8 hours worth of drying will suffice (depending on where you are in the world and the climate). Results follow.
Primer_Progress2.jpg

After all the priming it's time for the actual paint. Once again light coats allowing about 30 minutes of dry time. Repeat this step as many times until you are satisfied with the coating. I do not suggest more than 4 coats. Make sure its covered. Little comparing and picture
Sandedand_First_Coat.jpg

Time for that clear coat. Follow the same steps for priming and painting (i'm sure most of you all know how to paint). Once satisfied let it sit. FOR DAYS. No touching, moving, looking, smelling, thinking, ANYTHING. Find a dry hot place. I chose the back of my truck because it's insulated, dry, and gets hot here in the summer so it was almost perfect. But find what suits it best.
Drying_Paint.jpg

Final results.
Done_Console.jpg

After_Collage.jpg

Before_After.jpg

And here's my truck just because
Babes.jpg

I'm sorry for it being a little broad. I'm new to doing write ups! Please if you guys have any questions let me know! Also any advice please don't be afraid to let me know! Thanks for looking and hope it helps someone.
Wow, that looks a lot better than I thought it would. Now you've got me thinking about it too. Nicely done!

Wow, that looks a lot better than I thought it would. Now you've got me thinking about it too. Nicely done!

Thanks, after week one of being installed. It's hardened up completely and still looks and feels really good. I was really weary of doing it myself. But it's turned out so well I can't down it anymore.

Looks great. Thinking of doing the same thing but using SEM paint.

Looks great! Im not a fan of that wood either, luckily mine had the faux carbon fiber designs.

Next time before you clear, I would recommend wet sanding with a 1500-2000, or even 2500 grit, and then using something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and it would look like a mirror finish. Did some taillights like this for some co-workers and they turned out amazing. Looked like candy/wet paint.

Looks great! Im not a fan of that wood either, luckily mine had the faux carbon fiber designs.

Next time before you clear, I would recommend wet sanding with a 1500-2000, or even 2500 grit, and then using something like Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and it would look like a mirror finish. Did some taillights like this for some co-workers and they turned out amazing. Looked like candy/wet paint.
That's sweet! I'm going to be doing a friend's soon . I'll keep that in mind, would love to see how that works out !

I found the compound a year or so ago and love the stuff! Cheap and easy to use too, just get some of those buffing pads, and microfiber towels.

Heres a picture of the LS headlights I just did. Didn't tint them, just removed the yellowing/haze they had from the sun over the years. The foggy part is not how bad they were, thats just from wet sanding with a lower grit, I think 1500.
B6F8077F-ABCB-4AB8-AD05-7236AFB3ABD4_zpshar2r8hi.jpg

They could use another treatment of the polishing compound, but they are id say 95% clear now vs what they looked like when I bought the car.

Back