2000 5.0 fuel line/fuel filter upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 5.0 fuel line/fuel filter upgrade

I agree, that Andrews filter is the one too use. JD, you can also replace just the filter media inside the filter housing inexpensively. I'll have to go torment a parts place to find out what size the end of the filter is. I'm betting 5/16.......

Having a lot of fun in Montreal right now. Business is done, so it's fun time tonight. Back home tomorrow, then I'll order the filter and 2 adapter ends. Free shipping with Summit does not apply to Canada, too bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, so I found the correct fitting that ahodges used to convert the fuel pump exit to an6 at Jegs. I did some price matching and came out with some pretty good pricing. Here is the part numbers used (I bought both the 3/8 and 5/16 conversion adapters since it was only $6.00. It would cost me that in gas and time to go to a parts counter and measure the fitting on the fuel filter.

799-640850 LT1 FUEL FITTING $9.23 - to be used at the fuel tank
428-10300 RED/BLUE COMPETITION FLTR $49.59 - new fuel filter
799-640930 Fitting -6 AN Male to 5/16 $9.67 - exit of fuel filter to existing fuel line
361-982268 -6AN to 1/2" NPT 90 degree elbow
361-981668 -6AN To 1/2" NPT straight
-6 an to 6 an Straight Female Coupler
about 8 feet of braided 6an (3/8) line
2 6an ends

Just got my filter in and the 10300 is NOT a inline filter like stock...how could it fit in the stock place??
EDIT
I see now..Now I need a 90*:(wish I would have paid attention to this before I bought the new fittings

image_zps1e60c3ef.jpg

Oops, sorry JD, I thought you had been thru Andrews thread on this. A picture makes a world of a difference.

Oops, sorry JD, I thought you had been thru Andrews thread on this. A picture makes a world of a difference.

Lol its all good.I did go through it but at that time I was using a different filter(IE WRONG FILTER):banghead: ill just have to pick up a 90* or I was thinking I may just mount it next to the tank, then I could just use what I got.probably be safer back then because my pipes run out in front of my tires.ill be doing the tank and line swaps this weekend FINALLY:D

O don't know if you pay attention to FB at but I tried to cut my drive shaft tunnel last weekend and drilled a hole right into my old tank:mad: stuck a bolt in the hole and called it a day, so I can only put a gallon in it before it leaks!!!hahah

Im just glad to read ' the OLD tank'
Im not a facebook guy, but I guess I should from time to time.

Glad to hear your making such great progress. Mt filter on backorder with Jegs till Oct 2nd. That's ok, I still don't have my new fuel pump, or the other fittings.

Im hoping to get the intercooler mount completed under the truck, along with the fuel pump and filter done before winter (That's usually the end of October). Then I can just kinda plug away with fitment of the piping up top and wiring over the winter.

Once spring hits (April), I should be easily ready to have the turbo mounted.

That's between 4 and 5 months of snow. I sure wish I had a skilled trade that was required in the USA. Its probably not too late to go back to school to be a nurse.....Nurse Don...Hmm...

Just got my filter in and the 10300 is NOT a inline filter like stock...how could it fit in the stock place??
EDIT
I see now..Now I need a 90*:(wish I would have paid attention to this before I bought the new fittings

image_zps1e60c3ef.jpg

Glad you got it. You'll be happy with it once you get it all installed. I didn't realize I needed a 90 either until I got the filter.. I thought I was screwed and that there wasn't anyway it would work. That's when I found that 90 that goes from 1/2" pipe to 6 AN! Bingo!

Pumps installed with the braided line to the new fuel filter.

I edited the parts I used The fuel line is 5/16 from the fuel filter to the motor. At least I had all the correct pieces.

This was no fun at all. I pulled the old fuel line right out. I figured leaving it wouldn't hurt, except if it needs to be re-used there will be all kinds of dirt in the ends making it un-useable. Im glad its done, and there are no leaks.

At least 1 item off the checklist before the turbo goes in.

Back