truck dies while driving | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

truck dies while driving

It might work with the battery charge booster. My experience has been if you need a little boost, that works. If the auto parts is close by, take battery and alternator and have both checked. I have had batteries that have had the voltage, but not enough amps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We tried to test the battery but it was acting weird and could get no accurate readings but maybe with the battery terminals off it will work. Any idea if oriely's or autozone will test an alternator? They are both within 2 or 3 miles of me.

Auto zone for sure will. They might load test batteries too, but I've always taken my batteries to an interstate battery store if I need load testing. Just be careful what you do under the hood because if you short something out with everything still hooked up you could damage the PCM or any other number of things.

I jumped my truck with the engine start on the battery. charger and it worked, but it died after running for a few minutes. So I take it my battery is drained of amps so I will replace it but in the process of finding this out I saw a bit of smoke and after investigation it looks like oil is on the bolts on my engine and id dripping onto my headers. Il try and post pictures, is this like a gasket leak or worse?

20131213_122346.jpg
20131214_122127.jpg
20131214_122059.jpg
20131214_121844.jpg

Not a big deal on the oil leak, it's not related to the problems you are having. Battery and Alternator is what you should replace.

After your up and running (battery and alternator) looks like you could attack the valve cover gaskets to fix the oil leak. Just make sure to check your oil level.

Ok got the battery checked and its still good so I will take the alternator up to autozone to have it tested. Thanks for all the help everyone and now on to the vavle cover replacement, is thay a diy fix or professional ?

So the alternator passed the tests.... any ideas what to check next?

Start with cleaning all your connections and put some dielectric grease on everything. I had an issue with my diesel once where I had good connection from the alternator to one battery but the other one, even though it was wrench tight made zero connection. As soon as I cleaned and rebooted my connections everything worked great.

Start with cleaning all your connections and put some dielectric grease on everything. I had an issue with my diesel once where I had good connection from the alternator to one battery but the other one, even though it was wrench tight made zero connection. As soon as I cleaned and rebooted my connections everything worked great.
Ok I will add this to my lisy of stuff to try and do today :thumbsup:

Just cleabed the MAF, IAC, and throttle body and they were all black so its safe to say that was never done. Was going to replace my fuel filter since it ne er has been changed can someone post a link on how to change it? I looked but could not find one for my specific truck and dont wanna mess up. Tomorrow I will put the battery and alternator in and see if she fires up.

Judging by your post above, unlikely the fuel filter was ever replaced. Hope it's the cause of your stalling issues. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! Here is a pic of the IAC to show how dirty it was and the throttle body was just as bad but I didn't take pictures. [
20131215_155411.jpg
20131215_155336.jpg
/quote]

Wow. That's the dirtiest IAC I've ever seen, surprised it ran at all. ;) Make sure you also check the PCV elbow linked in post #2 .Curious to see what comes out of the fuel filter, take some pics if you can. What's the mileage on your ST?

Wow. That's the dirtiest IAC I've ever seen, surprised it ran at all. ;) Make sure you also check the PCV elbow linked in post #2 .Curious to see what comes out of the fuel filter, take some pics if you can. What's the mileage on your ST?

O thanks I forgot about the pcv elbow I will look into it tomorrow. The truck has 156k miles iv had it for about 8k and we bought it with like 135k for my brother and he was the type of person as long as it drives there is no need to do anything to your car lol go figure he just blew his radiator by not checking his fluids lol
and to add to that he got a flat in this truck and rode home on the rim 5 miles, had to replaces the brakes and rim haha hes book smart but common sense.... not too much

I took off ny pcv elbow and it looks fine, plugged 1 end and blew into it and no air escapes so its good right? It feels a lil soft but not spongy just how rubber feels usually.

May have been replaced, probably a 50% failure rate after 10 yrs. Let's get your Trac started, and go from there.

Also I am trying to change my fuel filter but I cant get it off. I am using the plastic clips that slide on the line and are suppose to release the spring to get it off but I cant get any of the 3 lines off. Any tips?

Spray and flush the fittings with penetrant first. Try wedging a plier or wide flat blade screwdriver to pry the tool
into the fuel line. Compress the stainless spring fingers in the fuel line fitting. Do NOT use force, finesse is the key.

Ok will wd40 work? And also the auto parts store gave me a filter thats longer and thinner than mine, should I take it back and get one the same size as mine? I have the part number now so that may help them get it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any penetrant. WD-40, PBB, Tri-Flow (My favorite, smells great too ;)). Be very patient doing this, you are working around gas. Those hard fuel lines can be damaged easily and expensive to replace, if you can still find them at all.

Back