• Register Today It's free!

Ranger steering shaft

96ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
So while at one of the local salvage yards here I noticed that the ranger steering shaft is notably thinner than the explorers, so I got one and it has give a good bit more clearance at the headers. I think it's enuf to be able to clear non explorer headers, I will post pics of the size differance and what I had to mod to get it to fit. And once I get time will test fit differant headers.

ok so here are the pics, you can see only mod i had to make was to cut a slit in the side to clear the notch, the ranger shaft is about one inch longer than the explorer shaft and i think it would work for a 3" BL with out the extension i have a 2" BL and still have plenty of room left on the shaft for more if i wanted.

not much room between factory shaft and header.
IMG_0776_zpsada8efee.jpg

the notch, yes my work isn't all that pretty.
IMG_0778_zps84adc9b4.jpg

much more room with ranger shaft.
IMG_0780_zps35b579cd.jpg

you can see the size difference.
IMG_0777_zps11ab52aa.jpg

here you can see the difference as to where it was on the ranger stock and where it sits on the explorer with 2" BL, only and inch difference.
IMG_0782_zpsf2e6bd15.jpg

over all view.
IMG_0779_zps32c584ba.jpg

what y'all think??

What year ranger did the shaft come from? Very cool find!

The one I snagged came off a 98 ranger so I would guess what ever years are the same as the 98 would work, I think 93 or 94 and newer some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Back