Building your own roof rack. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building your own roof rack.

Well this is how I mounted it. Its not the greatest but it works for me and it was cheap.
I used steel straps, drilled holes in them then I bent them around the rack and bolted them together as tight as it could go and its actually very sturdy.
I still have to trim the straps and paint them
027_zps1fc4e0fa.jpg

028_zpsd2fd259f.jpg

029_zpsf64f363d.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the pics! I have all the materials, just need to find the time to get started.

Thanks for the pics! I have all the materials, just need to find the time to get started.

You're welcome I hope they help!

My rack should finally be on by the end of this week. I ended up using 3/4" conduit and getting all of the joints welded. It turned out really good for about $30-40 including the paint. Pics to follow.

you can buy an actual roof rack, from wally world now, for like $59.99. it is steel, and very easy to assemble. A buddy of mine got one for his Blazer.

you can buy an actual roof rack, from wally world now, for like $59.99. it is steel, and very easy to assemble. A buddy of mine got one for his Blazer.

I wasn't very impressed with the walmart rack...it is shorter, not as long and not as wide as the one I built. I was able to have a custom fit rack for at least $20-30 less.

I wasn't very impressed with the walmart rack...it is shorter, not as long and not as wide as the one I built. I was able to have a custom fit rack for at least $20-30 less.

Wally world lol not walmart but yeah the walmart one isn't very good in my opinion

Picture002_zps0a6b8383.jpg

I just put lights on mine about a month ago

I ended up taking mine off (for the time being) it was rattling too much, I need to find something to safely prop it up with. I tried pipe insulation but it still rattled.

I ended up taking mine off (for the time being) it was rattling too much, I need to find something to safely prop it up with. I tried pipe insulation but it still rattled.

I haven't had a problem with mine rattling at all

What do you have in between the rack and the roof 97?

What do you have in between the rack and the roof 97?

I have the factory roof rack on the strapped the rack I built on that using steel straps and the little rectangle things I think that's what you're asking about are just square steel tubing. I just put them there to maybe help with the weight of there was a lot in the rack

I'm glad to see this posting! About a hand full of years ago, I had a 97 4dr Exp that I fit 33's and made a "real" 4wd to use/make into a "trails Forestry vehicle". With the back seat laid down I had a stokes stretcher, mega-first aid kit, axes, chainsaw, da da da da da... BUT it was during Cash For Clunkers and I got so many parts on the cheap.

I got 5-6 matching Explorer roof rack cross bars up there with... I think... 5 tie down loops - all evenly spaced. THEN I used sanded electrical conduit, about 1.5" or so, to make a roof rack that was 5 feet wide and 9 feet long - as wide as the roof and from the open tailgate to just over the windshield.

I put oars, a canoe, tents, coolers, - - OH, and I tapped in a line to run 8 lights; in each corner of the rectangle facing it's respective direction. -Also, I got a white king size flat sheet and sewed on some lashings to tie to the roof along the side and then got two 8' aluminum poles and string to make a tarp/tent cover that I could put out like an awning when I'm just campin...

PS . I'M HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD AS when I originally posted what I'd made I got two or three pages of jokes and junk from those with small jeep baskets that my fiance BLASTED a response and I wasn't on here for quite a while after the d!(#s the posts/guys were being.
Man, I wish I still had that Explorer, but with big tires and "real" 4wd I dont miss crap for gas mileage

Thanks a lot! I just recently removed the lights and roof rack looking to maybe put a light bar up there instead. Do you have any pictures of your ex to post?

I'm glad to see this posting! About a hand full of years ago, I had a 97 4dr Exp that I fit 33's and made a "real" 4wd to use/make into a "trails Forestry vehicle". With the back seat laid down I had a stokes stretcher, mega-first aid kit, axes, chainsaw, da da da da da... BUT it was during Cash For Clunkers and I got so many parts on the cheap.

I got 5-6 matching Explorer roof rack cross bars up there with... I think... 5 tie down loops - all evenly spaced. THEN I used sanded electrical conduit, about 1.5" or so, to make a roof rack that was 5 feet wide and 9 feet long - as wide as the roof and from the open tailgate to just over the windshield.

I put oars, a canoe, tents, coolers, - - OH, and I tapped in a line to run 8 lights; in each corner of the rectangle facing it's respective direction. -Also, I got a white king size flat sheet and sewed on some lashings to tie to the roof along the side and then got two 8' aluminum poles and string to make a tarp/tent cover that I could put out like an awning when I'm just campin...

PS . I'M HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD AS when I originally posted what I'd made I got two or three pages of jokes and junk from those with small jeep baskets that my fiance BLASTED a response and I wasn't on here for quite a while after the d!(#s the posts/guys were being.
Man, I wish I still had that Explorer, but with big tires and "real" 4wd I dont miss crap for gas mileage

I sold the old Explorer - sorry no pics

I sold the '97Explorer with the roof rack.

I used one rod of pipe to make ends with two 90's and 4ish feet of straight on each side. So, you'll have four identical pieces.

Then I got some piping that had an external diameter the same as prebent inside diameter to sleeve in. These pipes were, i think, 4 feet long. Once I marked for center then I sleeved them into the other bent U's. I drilled and tapped flush bolts every eight inches, but I cant recall what the name of the specific bolts. - they were not a protruding nut/bolt and they were to hold each end together on the straight pieces.

I used some 8 inch piping with flattened/flanged ends to bolt in to make risers, but I used cap screws (with threadlocker) and flat/beveled head carriage bolts to look better

blah blah blah.... when done with it all, I got a total of 5 or so factory roof cross bars and evenly spaced them. Then, bolted the cage to them. It spreads the weight of what you put in there and many hands make for light work.

The most weight was that once I flat blacked it and felt testy enough, I carefully crawled up there and layed in it. At the time I was about 330 pounds. But, once I had a deer up there which I had a pre-cut sheet of plywood and slid him up and on. He rode like a champ. - I don't know what was heavier me or the dear but it was trustworthy once I layed in it.

"good 'nuff fer gov'ment werk"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sold the '97Explorer with the roof rack.

I used one rod of pipe to make ends with two 90's and 4ish feet of straight on each side. So, you'll have four identical pieces.

Then I got some piping that had an external diameter the same as prebent inside diameter to sleeve in. These pipes were, i think, 4 feet long. Once I marked for center then I sleeved them into the other bent U's. I drilled and tapped flush bolts every eight inches, but I cant recall what the name of the specific bolts. - they were not a protruding nut/bolt and they were to hold each end together on the straight pieces.

I used some 8 inch piping with flattened/flanged ends to bolt in to make risers, but I used cap screws (with threadlocker) and flat/beveled head carriage bolts to look better

blah blah blah.... when done with it all, I got a total of 5 or so factory roof cross bars and evenly spaced them. Then, bolted the cage to them. It spreads the weight of what you put in there and many hands make for light work.

The most weight was that once I flat blacked it and felt testy enough, I carefully crawled up there and layed in it. At the time I was about 330 pounds. But, once I had a deer up there which I had a pre-cut sheet of plywood and slid him up and on. He rode like a champ. - I don't know what was heavier me or the dear but it was trustworthy once I layed in it.

"good 'nuff fer gov'ment werk"

Oh that sounds like it was a very well built rack! I think if I make a new rack ill have to steal some of the things you did if you don't mind.

Back