Help identify coolant hose routing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identify coolant hose routing

TheGageinator

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello everybody! I just got a 2002 Explorer with the 4.6l and I'm sorting some stuff out on it.

What I need help with is the routing of the heater hoses...

I noticed this valve just laying in the engine bay

20160105_174621_zps3gwcsox7.jpg

I also noticed this coolant passages just capped off. Behind the TB on the plastic Manifold

20160105_174639_zpsua8uzmpg.jpg

20160105_174630_zpsnmoetpn4.jpg

My 2002 is an early build, there are later build 2002 models. I don't know if mine has that valve you're holding. But that passageway that was capped is probably supposed to be capped. I and many others have replaced their plastic manifold and the replacement part comes with a capped passageway right where yours is. Check and make sure that passageway is part of the manifold. If it is, cap it using a worm style hose clamp. Others like me have accelerated hard with the vehicle and that cap can come flying off and coolant goes everywhere. But a capped passageway is normal if the vehicle has had the intake manifold replaced -- which seems to be a common repair.

Also, since you just got it, here is another familiar problem to many: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287097

The valve is the heater control valve. When you turn the temperature switch on your dashboard, it controls this valve by vacuum. The grey line is the line that controls it. The valve is mounted slightly below the bottom edge of the valve cover. If the valve is laying in the engine compartment it would seem to indicate it has been bypassed and you probably have no heat. Your hand blocks the view of the heater hoses to the heater core.

I'd be careful just hooking that valve back up. I'd think it'd only be bypassed if there was a leak in the heater core.

Back