dropped apply strut overdrive band | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dropped apply strut overdrive band

carlosaranda

Reaction score
City, State
knoxville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mercury montaneer
I accidently removed the transmissions overdrive band adjusting bolt and the "apply strut" anchor fell into transmission pan, can i re_install apply strut from the bottom of the car? 2003 mercury montaneer. Can you guys help me.. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can put the strut back on from inside the pan as long as the strut that fell off is on the adjuster side and not the servo side. Each band has two struts.

o\d apply strut anchor

Thank you guys,, i've remove the volve body,, now i can see part of the band, i have about 2"inc of clearence. I can put the "apply strut" in, and put the adjusting bold in,, however.. i cannot see is my apply strut its catching on the band properly.
Since that one side fell off.. should i be worried bout the other side, or that side will stay in place?

The apply strut has a small dimple to catch the bottom of the adjusting stud. It won't stay in place unless the stud is in the dimple. Use new valve body gaskets, and a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts. Make sure that the proper lenght bolts go where they're suppose to. Torque the bolts in a criss-cross manner.

apply strut

Thank very much,, this was very helpful.. i was looking for a level plug on this car 2003 mercury mountaineer, because it did not have a transmission dipstik, i thought that bolt above the transmission band was a leveler plug. Rookie mistake.. it was a adjustng bold for overdrive band... now i've put the apply strut back in and placed the adjusting bolt back into it,, the apply strut stays in place but it wiggles.. is it supposed to be tight in it?

I hope its right and OK to use this thread for my question or help.
Ford Explorer 1995 2WD
Car runs great just transmission issue

Background on the issue is:
flashing overdrive light
Transmission winds out in first gear and I have to let off the gas to get it to switch Very erratic going into gears

So after reading the forums it seems it would be the valve body replacement would work. I purchased on on ebay

So when I dropped the pan, I did not notice at first but I found two pieces in the pan.
ODStrut-1.jpg

Unfortunately, when I was working on the vehicle I did not know what it was or where it came from as well as I could not look it up. I had to get the vehicle back together and it was working before so I figured at worst it would be in the same place it was when I started.

In my rushing however, I put the new valve body on and buttoned everything up. but in the rush I forgot to properly align the shifter pin. So now I have to open it up again tomorrow.

I have to get this car together for a trip. So I may have to use it with this broken for now, but if its something I can fix tomorrow I will.

From what I understand this is the overdrive band strut. I am not sure if it can be fixed when I have the car apart again tomorrow or if the transmission has to be pulled. I cant see where this part when or where it goes I have no picture and all the reading I have done does not show its location.

It also appears that the part is broken as I see what looks like its broken off but not sure because I have not saw one that is new.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

The part on the left is the band anchor, it is broken off the band. The only way to fix it is to remove the tranny and disassemble it to get to the band.

Hello

Thanks for the reply

So. I am a backyard mechanic that does not mind getting dirty to do something (mostly because of necessity because I am broke, LOL!)

I have a 95 Ford Explorer 2WD. It runs good and such and I keep good care of it.

The O/D light is on, the gears were shifting late, and a few other things that from reading around said it seemed like it might be my Valve body or Valve Body gasket.

So I purchased a "rebuit" valve body on ebay and installed it. When I took the body off I found those pieces and I assumed it was the over drive band stuff as you spoke of. Since I have no other vehicle and needed to get it going I put the new valve body in and got it back so I can use it.

Now the car shifts worse than it did before. It races up in 1st until I let off the gas, then about 1600 RPM is switches to 2nd and same with 3rd basically.

I wanted to ask you three questions:
1. Do you think this was a bad valve body or selenoid or can this be do to the band problem?

2. How hard would it be to do a rebuild on the transmission myself or is there any info you can direct me to that I might be able to see how to do it?

3. Lastly and most importantly. How much would you charge (or anyone out there that can do it for a great price) to do the rebuild if I got the kit (parts)? How much to do the removal, rebuild and install? Etc.

I dont have a lot of money and its an old car but I would really like to get this fixed.

Thanks for your help

I wanted to ask you three questions:
1. Do you think this was a bad valve body or selenoid or can this be do to the band problem?

No way to diagnose a possible valve body issue when its missing two gears, I think the problem is due to a broken band.

2. How hard would it be to do a rebuild on the transmission myself or is there any info you can direct me to that I might be able to see how to do it?

I think you should be able to rebuild it yourself, but that will depend on your skill and your determination, many on this site has successfully rebuilt their transmissions with the info they were able find here. Check out the sticky section for information on rebuilding your transmission.

3. Lastly and most importantly. How much would you charge (or anyone out there that can do it for a great price) to do the rebuild if I got the kit (parts)? How much to do the removal, rebuild and install? Etc.

You might be able to find someone to rebuild yours as a bench job for around 1000 to 1500, total job with warranty can be around 2000 to 2800 depending. Forget bringing your own parts, that's a pain for the shop/builder, just let them do their thing.

I dont have a lot of money and its an old car but I would really like to get this fixed.

I hear that all the time.

Back