New shock/strut assembly question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New shock/strut assembly question

I don't see any particular difference between the Munroe and KYB, as long as we are talking that standard quick struts and not the economy grade. There are allot of owners here who have used Munroe and found them to be just fine.

At the moment, the KYB are $150 more expensive. This is not always the case. I have heard the KYB described as a slightly better grade part, but I'm not sure I would put much stock in that. If the KYB had been that much more expensive when I did mine, I would have used Munroe. I think you are fine in using the least expensive parts because I think that both are quality.

If the boots on the upper ball joints are split, then they are very likely toast. You can check to see if there is any play there that shouldn't be. I'm sure you can find a youtube video on how to check your ball joints. The upper control arm is another situation where it's hard to know weather to save money by just replacing the ball joint, or to replace the entire control arm (which includes a new ball joint).

MOTORCRAFT MCSOE13 {#1L2Z3085AA} front left upper ($104)
MOTORCRAFT MCSOE12 {#1L2Z3084AA} front right upper ($106)

The ball joints themselves run about $30. You can get them for as low as $5, but I would never put anything like that in my suspension. If you do just the ball joint, you have to use a ball press to get the old ball joint out and press the new one into the UCA. Again, there will be plenty of youtube videos for this. I like to use Motocraft parts for control arms and ball joints and I don't think that Motocraft sells the upper ball joint without the control arm. Someone else can give you a recommendation for a ball joint if you want to go that route. Look at the UCA carefully. I have seen them rusted out around the ball joint to the extent that the ball joint is almost coming out of the arm. That would be a disaster if it happened at high speed, like an end over end flip disaster.

You are definitely headed for a 4-wheel alignment after this, so keep that as part of the budget as well.

LMHmedchem

Monroe it is! Would rather save the $150, especially with everything else I have in mind. From what i've read KYB may be higher quality, but as I said every other thread says something different, along with the ones that say both are crap.

The boots are definitely shot on the UCA, I was thinking of just replacing the whole arm as they look pretty awful as well. I was looking at some MOOG UCA's
MOOG RK620225 {#1L2Z3085AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint ($46)
MOOG RK620224 {#1L2Z3084AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint ($47)
from rock auto, again i've read mixed reviews, supposedly MOOG has gone downhill in recent years. Do you suggest going with Ford for a particular reason? Or just personal preference.
I HAVE read some terrible things about the ball joints on some aftermarket Dorman models, about not fitting at ALL. But nothing so bad against the MOOG, other than the boot is sub-par quality and may only last a couple years, if that's the case, i don't mind paying another $100-200 down the road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odd, mine still has a factory rake to it and the rear are so stiff than a full load of firewood in the back with the rear seats down barely makes it sink.

Oh, I think maybe 4x4 models have different/better springs??? Can anyone confirm?

I do have a 4x4. To be honest my suspension is in pretty decent condition still, it isn't sitting low, and is a decently comfortable ride. I don't feel i really need new shocks, but I do plan on taking some long road trips in the near future, and just feel anything would be better over stock. My main problem is I feel small bumps and cracks throughout the whole car, and the cornering doesn't seem what it used to as well.

I do have a 4x4. To be honest my suspension is in pretty decent condition still, it isn't sitting low, and is a decently comfortable ride. I don't feel i really need new shocks, but I do plan on taking some long road trips in the near future, and just feel anything would be better over stock. My main problem is I feel small bumps and cracks throughout the whole car, and the cornering doesn't seem what it used to as well.

Cornering can be alignment and bad sway-bar bushings too. As for the little bumps also be sure your tires are not over inflated. 29 front 35 rear if I recall correctly.

Cornering can be alignment and bad sway-bar bushings too. As for the little bumps also be sure your tires are not over inflated. 29 front 35 rear if I recall correctly.

Got new tires and along with alignment less than 2,000m ago, so alignment should be ok, and tire pressure is good. I plan on thoroughly checking EVERYTHING while i'm under there, shocks are a for sure thing, and if there's anymore problems i'll fix them when I get the time

29 / 35 if you want a cozy ride that eats your tires. I run 40 front and back, so 44 once hot.

True, the LTs need a lot of pressure to wear correctly. An additional benefit is they usually have an extra 1/32" of tread depth :)

29 / 35 if you want a cozy ride that eats your tires. I run 40 front and back, so 44 once hot.

Seems a bit excessive :p plus I do want a cozy ride :)
How long have you had Monroe's on? And how's the ride, any noticeable changes in quality over time?

Seems a bit excessive :p plus I do want a cozy ride :)
How long have you had Monroe's on? And how's the ride, any noticeable changes in quality over time?

I can't speak for the explorer version of Monroe's but I've tried Monroe's on my MBenz and hated them then got KYB's and love them. Also tried Gabrial's on my other car and were as bad as Monroe then also upgraded that one to KYB.

Monroe it is! Would rather save the $150, especially with everything else I have in mind. From what i've read KYB may be higher quality, but as I said every other thread says something different, along with the ones that say both are crap.

The boots are definitely shot on the UCA, I was thinking of just replacing the whole arm as they look pretty awful as well. I was looking at some MOOG UCA's
MOOG RK620225 {#1L2Z3085AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint ($46)
MOOG RK620224 {#1L2Z3084AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/Ball Joint ($47)
from rock auto, again i've read mixed reviews, supposedly MOOG has gone downhill in recent years. Do you suggest going with Ford for a particular reason? Or just personal preference.
I HAVE read some terrible things about the ball joints on some aftermarket Dorman models, about not fitting at ALL. But nothing so bad against the MOOG, other than the boot is sub-par quality and may only last a couple years, if that's the case, i don't mind paying another $100-200 down the road

EDIT: Those Moog parts are the R-Series, for the "economy minded purchaser" so i'll be staying clear, the CK-Series seems to be of better quality, with gusher bearings. But with those i'd only save a whopping $18, so might as well go with the Motorcraft, seem to have served me well thus far.

I can't speak for the explorer version of Monroe's but I've tried Monroe's on my MBenz and hated them then got KYB's and love them. Also tried Gabrial's on my other car and were as bad as Monroe then also upgraded that one to KYB.

Just what I needed to hear, finally had my mind made up haha :mad:
Mind me asking if it was the econo-matic line (cheap) or the regular quick strut?

Monroes tend to produce a passenger car feel. They offer a cheap truck shock for that "truck" ride. Just not for Explorers and not as a quick strut. People with imports probably won't like the feel of Monroes, preferring a stiffer shock.

The Monroes are okay. Feels like OE. My interest, is functionality and longevity. I'll believe I'll get that out of Monroes, probably not Moog or other cheep "white box" brands. If I could get a deal on KYB's, I'd buy a set, just so I could compare.

Monroes tend to produce a passenger car feel. They offer a cheap truck shock for that "truck" ride. Just not for Explorers and not as a quick strut. People with imports probably won't like the feel of Monroes, preferring a stiffer shock.

The Monroes are okay. Feels like OE. My interest, is functionality and longevity. I'll believe I'll get that out of Monroes, probably not Moog or other cheep "white box" brands. If I could get a deal on KYB's, I'd buy a set, just so I could compare.

KYB's are stiffer than Monroe or Gabriel in my experience. Which is a good thing since all struts only get weaker as they age, why start out with one that is already weak.

Looks like Monroe Quick-Strut is $441.70 shipped with 5% discount and KYB Strut-Plus is $609.21 due to a recent price hike. I would look elsewhere for KYB's. Part numbers are SR4081 Front and SR4051 Rear.

Amazon has the SR4051 for $107.58 each free shipping.

So if you get the front from RockAuto for $279.76 shipped with 5% discount and the rear from Amazon for $215.16 shipped it comes to $494.92 which is $53 more than Monroe.

FYI, the total from RA for Monroe Econo-Mattic would be $307.59 shipped.

All these numbers remind me why I did not replace my springs and got a complete set of Sensen's for $100. lol.

BTW to go KYB struts only and keep your existing springs would be $274.08

KYB's are stiffer than Monroe or Gabriel in my experience. Which is a good thing since all struts only get weaker as they age, why start out with one that is already weak.

Looks like Monroe Quick-Strut is $441.70 shipped with 5% discount and KYB Strut-Plus is $609.21 due to a recent price hike. I would look elsewhere for KYB's. Part numbers are SR4081 Front and SR4051 Rear.

Amazon has the SR4051 for $107.58 each free shipping.

So if you get the front from RockAuto for $279.76 shipped with 5% discount and the rear from Amazon for $215.16 shipped it comes to $494.92 which is $53 more than Monroe.

FYI, the total from RA for Monroe Econo-Mattic would be $307.59 shipped.

All these numbers remind me why I did not replace my springs and got a complete set of Sensen's for $100. lol.

BTW to go KYB struts only and keep your existing springs would be $274.08

Not necessarily looking for a stiff ride, i'd like to eliminate feeling small cracks completely for the most part. But I think I like your idea there, $53 is not too much more. Plus I have heard more bad about monroe than KYB. The replacement set that monroe sent this person...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411610
was the same issue with rear, one being variable and one being constant, which was concern in the initial post. Not that I think it would happen to me, it's just the fact it could.
I don't really like the numbers either, especially with UCAs, and was planning on doing brakes/rotors. but the convenience i can't pass up

EDIT: GAHH! :mad: Just as I was about to order i saw Monroe is now offering a $100 rebate on all 4 quick struts. It would be $330 for quick struts after rebate, vs. $454 KYB strut plus (-$50 amazon card).
Any idea if the price on KYB goes up/down frequently? Another poster mentioned rockauto had KYB's at nearly half price not a week ago

Wow, never realized there were those spring issues. I AM SO GLAD I REPLACED STRUTS ONLY AND KEPT MY FACTORY SPRINGS! Ya ya, many of you say they're prone to breaking, but unless they actually have why replace them? After reading that thread Monroe sounds dumb to me. Looking at the other manufactures their springs look questionable too except for Sensen's.

KYB
SR4051.jpg

Rancho
RS999934.jpg

Sensen
9214-0009.jpg

Monroe Econo-Matic
181322.jpg

Monroe Quick-Strut
171322.jpg

BTW, complete set of Sensen's with springs shipped from RA with 5% discount $283.92

Only one way to offer low a cost part and that is to use lower quality material. When you can get a part half the price as usual, there is a reason. There's no way around this.

Quality parts require a lot of engineering and testing. "Form, fit and function"doesn't equal quality.

Does anyone have pictures of the OE Ford part? It would be interesting to compare looking at the pictures of all the other brands. When I was looking, I don't seem to remember Ford offering anything like a quick strut. It seemed like you had to buy everything separately. It seemed like the struts were ~$125 and the springs were $275-$350 each. Plus, there were some other parts you needed if you weren't going to re-use some stuff.

I seem to remember just the parts adding up to $1750, plus you had to put everything together. It would be just interesting to see the OE springs for parts that were running $475 each compared to some of the others that run $100-$150.

LMHmedchem

Does anyone have pictures of the OE Ford part? It would be interesting to compare looking at the pictures of all the other brands. When I was looking, I don't seem to remember Ford offering anything like a quick strut. It seemed like you had to buy everything separately. It seemed like the struts were ~$125 and the springs were $275-$350 each. Plus, there were some other parts you needed if you weren't going to re-use some stuff.

I seem to remember just the parts adding up to $1750, plus you had to put everything together. It would be just interesting to see the OE springs for parts that were running $475 each compared to some of the others that run $100-$150.

LMHmedchem

Well here is a OE spring on a Sensen strut:

2mhiu8n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KYB it is

For anyone wondering I ended up going with KYB strut-plus all around. Thanks for all the good info and opinions. I contacted Monroe directly about the variable/constant spring and there responses were so off I decided against them completely.
Just struts would have been a good idea if I wasn't so set on the convenience of the full assembly. Not to mention I like EVERYTHING to look nice and shiny when i replace it :thumbsup:
Order should be here next early next week and hopefully i'll have everything put in by mid-week and let you know how it goes.
This was my first thread and a huge help, great community! :salute:

Back