Gerald, do you remember this trail at Moab?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gerald, do you remember this trail at Moab??

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember seeing that spot, thats a nasty roll!

Holy shiznit, just watched the video! That looked rough! Happened very quickly too, you didn't see it coming. I did notice that they didn't follow the spotter too well :rolleyes:

Ouch!!! :roll:

yeah looks like they didn't follow the spotter then just kinda goosed the gas too much from what it looks like...

Just finished watching the video and that is some serious roll over. :eek:

:eek: HOLY ESKIMO :eek: That was an expensive week-end. Good nobody got hurt! I don't think she hit the gas too much. She kept the speed nice and stedy, but it is very steep and, ignoring the poor spotter, she ended up taking the wrong line. What I noticed that first she followed the spotter very well. So I was wondering, if - with the spotter taking some steps back and the angle getting steeper - she was not able to see him anymore. (we all know, sometimes you just see either the hood or the sky).

:redexp: :roll: :redexp: :roll: :redexp: :roll: = $$$$$$$

Looks to me like spotter error. He told the driver to start turning right much too late. It seemed the driver had the right idea, but the spotter told them to keep it left. Had they ignored him, it might've been a different story - perhaps that's why he was grabbing his head - DOH! Glad everyone was okay! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OUCH!

I watched it like 10 times trying to figure out what happened. It did look like she ignored/couldn't see her spotter. So who's done it and what do they think?

From my review... The spotter may have been a bit slow on saying to turn right, but I'm calling drivers error... I saw no attempt at turning those wheels to the right... Not to mention, what the driver exprience was... I know when i get remotely tippy, I STOP and talk to my spotter...They all started hollerin, and didn't stop... The sounded loud to me...

My ruling, drivers error. Not watching spotter.. not stopping when things got iffy... Maybe not listening to the surroundings...

No matter who's fault, it'd definately suck, and good thing they had a tough cage in it.
Pete

I know Gerald has pictures of his truck on this hill someplace and if I remember he said it is really steep so I doubt she could see the spotter.

Things like this happen to the best of them so I'm just glad she didn't get hurt. Now they can really build that Jeep

Scary Memories....

Yeah, I nearly lost it there too. There is no way a picture can convey what it feels like when you're here at the bottom and realize that the only way out is to go up that wall. :eek:

101LookingAtHellsGate.jpg

We all know how pictures never do justice to the difficulty of the obstacle. But look at that guy on the left wall and try to visualize the angle of the cliff below him.
The only way out is up the same wall by straddling a wedgie straight up the cliff beside him.

It is a HELLUVA steep wall to climb up. Even when you take the perfect line you get air.

101HellsGateAir.jpg

Here I am at the very same place she lost it. At 13 seconds into the video she had the correct line. 14 seconds; she started to veer to the left of the line and the spotters hands went from "left" to "up/neutral". They should have gone on over to "right", considering her speed and the fact that she was obviously going the wrong direction by then and a neutral wheel postion would continue her onto the wrong line. By 15 seconds she was obviously way too far left and the spotter finally motioned "right". 16 seconds: her right front tire drops in the wedge and by then I am not sure she could have turned right without heavy duty power steering to help. Her only chance was midway through 16 seconds when she started getting air and the tire became unwedged, allowing her to turn right to get back to the line. This was also the exact instant that she lost sight of her spotter (if she was watching him) as her hood went skyward. The final critical mistake was at 17 seconds when she stayed on the throttle without getting back on the line.

I was vertical and eased off the gas some when I went skyward, where whe stayed on the gas. My Explorer was lazily rocking back and forth on the ragged edge of doing a backflip at the very same place she flipped. I have no doubt that had I kept on the throttle like she did, I would have ended up doing the very same thing. That obstacle leaves absolutely no room for error.

Hmm... thanks fer the pics Gerald! Actually, as long as I had a stout cage in my truck, I'd have no prob doin it... That is according to the pics... Seeing it in real life I bet is different :)
Pete

God that looks scary. Before I ran that I think I would have alot of other trails under my belt first.

Gerald, good analysis of the video. Are you looking for a new nickname, "off-road-professor"? :p

What also should not be forget is that the 4-door Explorer has a 18.2" longer wheelbase than the Wrangler, which in this kind of situation is a hugh advantage.

Back