Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Shift Indicator - Does it light the position?

mtdave

Reaction score
Hello, I'm wondering if the explorer is suppose to light up the appropriate gear selected by the gear shifter on the console?

Yes, the position is shown on the dash, but currently the P/R/N/D.. on the console does not show any indication. Is this right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I'm wondering if the explorer is suppose to light up the appropriate gear selected by the gear shifter on the console?

Yes, the position is shown on the dash, but currently the P/R/N/D.. on the console does not show any indication. Is this right?

Welcome to the Forum mtdave.:wavey:
It is working as it should. Only the dash lights up the shift position.
I'm assumimg you have an Explorer. It would be helpful for future reference if you showed the model and year in the left column in your profile. That would be helpful to members when addressing questions or concerns you may have since not all models have the same features.

Peter

Hi mtdave,

As Peter has written below, your vehicle is operating normally. You can get additional information about your vehicle in the Owner's Manual, 3rd printing, available here for download: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Also, you're always welcome to reach out to me via PM.

Welcome to the Forum mtdave.:wavey:
It is working as it should. Only the dash lights up the shift position.
I'm assumimg you have an Explorer. It would be helpful for future reference if you showed the model and year in the left column in your profile. That would be helpful to members when addressing questions or concerns you may have since not all models have the same features.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

Have an awesome day,
Crystal

The gearshift indicator (P,N,D etc) on the console of my '16 Platinum lights up, but does not indicate what gear the trans is in. My '10 Sport Trac has an orange indicator for the current gear. Am I missing something, or is this normal?

I think it's normal. That's what my '15 Limited does. Slightly annoying if you ask me.

The gearshift indicator (P,N,D etc) on the console of my '16 Platinum lights up, but does not indicate what gear the trans is in. My '10 Sport Trac has an orange indicator for the current gear. Am I missing something, or is this normal?
Doesn't it show the gear position in the dash? I thought it did on my 2011. It does on my MKT but not on the console.

Peter

it will show on your dash what position are you (P, R, N, D, M) in red or orange (i think) but not in the shift nob console they only illuminate.

Thanks for the answers. The gear position does show in the dash. Seems like everything else on the vehicle indicates something, so it seemed likely that the gearshift on the console would be indicated as well. Seems pointless to light up without showing something. Since the '10 console showed gear position, I thought the '16 should as well. BUT... then the '10 also has gas hood supports instead of the cheap hood prop ;) .

Likely by design for you to keep your head up, versus looking down.
Not an issue for me, considering I also own manual vehicles and there's no indicator lights to tell you which gear you're in.

Thanks for the answers. The gear position does show in the dash. Seems like everything else on the vehicle indicates something, so it seemed likely that the gearshift on the console would be indicated as well. Seems pointless to light up without showing something. Since the '10 console showed gear position, I thought the '16 should as well. BUT... then the '10 also has gas hood supports instead of the cheap hood prop ;) .

Not quite sure on the '10, but on our old '06, the indicator was actually just a piece of orange plastic that mechanically moved with the shifter. Not sure that design would work with the current design which would probably require multiple light bulbs. Also, was a little disappointed when the '15 didn't have gas hood supports.

Does the center console indicate which gear you are in on a 2014 Explorer

No, the letters on the console simply give you an idea of where the gear is. Indicator is in the instrument cluster.

No, the letters on the console simply give you an idea of where the gear is. Indicator is in the instrument cluster.
Thank you. That's what I suspected, but in my opinion a design flaw.

Does the center console indicate which gear you are in on a 2014 Explorer
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Thank you. That's what I suspected, but in my opinion a design flaw.

Agreed...........not much of a cost savings either
Would have been convenient to show on the console & the dash.........wouldn't think that was too much to ask on a 50,000 vehicle

Agreed...........not much of a cost savings either
Would have been convenient to show on the console & the dash.........wouldn't think that was too much to ask on a 50,000 vehicle
Not sure why you would want it on the console. You shouldn't be looking down at it while driving. The dash, maybe but not the console. It's an automatic!

Peter

Not sure why you would want it on the console. You shouldn't be looking down at it while driving. The dash, maybe but not the console. It's an automatic!

Peter
I don't look down while driving, but I do when I first start, putting the vehicle in gear

I don't look down while driving, but I do when I first start, putting the vehicle in gear
A valid reason. I just use the dash display for that 95% of the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is hard for us old folk that are used to there being no indicator on the dash and having to look down at the shifter to tell what gear we are in. But new vehicles take a little bit of getting used to. I am just to the point that I can tell by the feel of the selector as I shift it into drive.

Back