New (to me) '06, with a few questions.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (to me) '06, with a few questions..

Im 6'2" (240lbs) and have absolutely no problem sitting in the 3rd row seats in my explorer, If my daughter begs hard enough sometimes I ride back there with her....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here’s a shot of the EB interior with the optional two tone, I believe it was part of the EB luxury package

E117236A-98D0-4742-93A1-7BDF538D0817.jpeg
Here’s a shot of the EB interior with the optional two tone, I believe it was part of the EB luxury package

Hmmm..

Thanks Michael.

So I have 2 cheap versions of Eddie Bauers, time to get some spray paints ready :)

Hey, that's alright! I really wish mine had the original wheels, though. The asshat who replaced them probably just sold 'em for scrap at the salvage yard.

I'll have to peruse some places, see if I can find a set for sale, and see what kinda money I'd be into...

Looking at google images of EB's, it appears as if there are 2 sets...one's a split 5 spoke, the other's a split 6 spoke style...not sure if they're two different sizes or whatnot...I'd rather have 17" than 18" for the ride quality reason alone. Thoughts?

the split 4 spoke is 17" for sure, thats whats on my step moms EB

The 18 inch are the “chrome clad” which just means they permanently glue a plastic shiny cover over the face of the rim, and eventually they discolor.

PL, I call my Eddie Bauer the “Edward Boner” edition, because it’s an Eddie in name an color scheme only. No heated mirrors, no 6 disc stereo, no power passenger seat, no steering wheel audio controls... all of these things were standard on my 2001 Accord Ex V6.

Michael - mine is the same. Manual climate control even. The only option beyond base that it has is backup sensors. Scared the hell out of me the first time I backed it out of the garage. I bought it used and didn't know it had it. Mine does have day time running lamps and auto lights but that's about it.

Just came to confirm ; Good chance it's your plugs.

I had the exact same issue on my 06' LTD 4.6. Hesitation under moderate throttle, and hard bucking at WOT.
I finally noticed that when it bucked hard, I'd get a CEL for about 10 seconds, and then it would shut off.

I checked the codes before I shut it off, and I had a misfire on Cylinder 1.

Decided to start by changing the plugs. A lot of people have talked about how difficult it is to get them out without breaking them, but I had zero problems.
The old plugs weren't overly fouled, but the electrode was worn down significantly, and consistently across all the plugs.

Changed all 8 plugs this weekend and now it's buttery smooth and I even reclaimed some fuel mileage.

A little update....put close to a thousand miles on it in the three weeks we've had it. This thing is nice, does everything i need it to without complaint.

I need to hit up the threads in the tech sections about changing plugs....I've got a set of plugs and coil packs to put on, I'd like to do it tonight, but I don't know. I've been putting in LED lighting in my shop and I'm kinda tired, not to mention, did 4 struts on the wife's car earlier on top of that LOL.

My mind tells me to get back out there and do more, but my body says to throw a pizza in and turn the PS4 on and chill, I've done enough today and I have to go to work tomorrow...

Thanks Michael -
I am learning something new every day.
I thought all EBs were fully loaded same as Limited, just the exterior paint scheme was different. I guess I was lucky to have 2 EBs loaded nicely.
I guess the Limited were loaded with everything.

But please enjoy your Boners the way they are :)

A little update....put close to a thousand miles on it in the three weeks we've had it. This thing is nice, does everything i need it to without complaint.

I need to hit up the threads in the tech sections about changing plugs....I've got a set of plugs and coil packs to put on, I'd like to do it tonight, but I don't know. I've been putting in LED lighting in my shop and I'm kinda tired, not to mention, did 4 struts on the wife's car earlier on top of that LOL.

My mind tells me to get back out there and do more, but my body says to throw a pizza in and turn the PS4 on and chill, I've done enough today and I have to go to work tomorrow...

I recommend trying to get your hands on the Lisle extraction tool. I bought it from Amazon and didn't end up using it so I sent it back for a refund.
Pick up some nickle anti-seize if you don't have any.

Got the plugs and coils changed out without any issues, the 4 on the pass. side were finger tight, the driver's side were snug but not so much that I was nervous.

Thing runs so much harder now, can't believe how strong it feels. Kinda want to get a cat back or even a nice muffler to put on, to give it a little rumble, but not anything that sounds like a Cup car.

Thoughts?

Hey if it floats your boat go for it. A cat back increases power by allowing free flow, which will increase noise. In my younger days I put a flowmaster 50 series on my jeep, and enjoyed the sound, despite the drone on the highway..... Nowadays, I dont want to hear my exhaust. Dont get me wrong, I love the sound of a free flowing V8 at idle, but to me, its not worth the drone on the highway. On something I only drive on weekends I would go for a nice catback, but on a daily driver, I'm keeping it stock.....

I've thought about it too, but I'm more concerned with fuel economy these days.
I need to replace the exhaust gaskets/studs/manifolds, as they're both puttering.

Weirdly, I noticed after I changed my plugs that my city fuel econ increased, but highway fuel econ went down.

Wow, been awhile, and was looking at some stuff, and found this thread.

To catch up, I did some LED lighting, dome lamps all the way, puddle lamps, and front turns, and reverse lights.

Note..if you do the turn lamps, use the CANBUS-ready lights. Wal mart's LEDs will blink fast and make the info center give an error. Lesson learned....

This thing is great, aside from some cooling issues I had. Basically threw a bunch of parts at it, and it is STILL not right, but a lot better than it was. Cliff's: with the AC on, the temp gauge would climb to the top after 10-12 minutes of driving. No matter the speed.
New fan clutch, water pump, and even put a shroud in that the previous owner(s) took out for some damned reason. They told me they had the trans rebuilt...no idea for sure.

It will occasionally get to the upper mark on the gauge, then comes back down after a minute or two to where it normally sits. The ac doesn't blow hot when this happens. Tomorrow (today), I'm going to flush the cores out, and see if that makes a difference.

Other than that, I love this thing. Next up is to find a manual third row seat in the colors the stock one is, and change out the broken power units.

I would still like to put a muffler with a little growl, but I'm picky. I want just a little tone, nothing obnoxious, and to eventually have the front door glass tinted. Not sure what missouri allows, need to call the local glass shop and see what he says.

Still want stock wheels and some all terrains on!

Cliff's: with the AC on, the temp gauge would climb to the top after 10-12 minutes of driving. No matter the speed.

It will occasionally get to the upper mark on the gauge, then comes back down after a minute or two to where it normally sits. The ac doesn't blow hot when this happens. Tomorrow (today), I'm going to flush the cores out, and see if that makes a difference.

Mine has started doing the same. I initially thought it was my fault.
When I changed the power steering rack last winter, I had to pull the lower rad hose, so I changed the coolant while I was at it.

What drained was yellow/gold (not neon green). I didn't realize that Ford has it's own HOAT coolant, and thought the previous owner used cheap coolant, which is the same yellow/gold color at the local parts place, so I threw in the neon prestone "universal" stuff.

I also didn't realize that about half the coolant is stuck in the engine and can't be removed without pulling the engine, so ultimately, I mixed the Ford Gold and the Prestone Neon together.

I suspect that caused some rad clogging, so I've been running a flush though with distilled water. It's running about 5C cooler on average, but still doing some weird stuff. On some drives, it'll hover around 90C (normal operating temp). Gets to 97C and (I assume) the thermostat opens and it drops down to 90C again.

But on some drives, it'll get into the low 100s and stays there. With AC on it hits around 110C (Was 117C before flush) but it stays there even after I turn off the AC. Other times, I'll turn on the AC and the temp won't climb at all.

I'm hoping it's just a bad thermostat. I ordered one, and a new rad cap to be safe, so that's what I'm working on now.

The thermostat bolts are a pain in the ass to get out. The Ford manual doesn't say you need to pull the upper intake manifold, but I might have to. Another pain in the ass, because that means removing the fuel rails too, but I'll have access to the CHT sensor, so that might get changed too.

When I did my Tstat, I just took the throttle body off. Still need a small wrench to get the left bolt out (as you're looking at the t stat housing), but it's doable.

As an aside, did you know a 4.6 will idle without the throttle body?! LOL

Made me say...what the fu....LOL.

I did end up getting it out. Had to pick up an offset 8mm wrench (was actually just a brake bleeder wrench) and then it was super easy.

The Tstat was slightly rusted and was having trouble opening and closing, which is why it was overheating sometimes, and other times it was fine.
When I pulled it out, it was seized closed.

Replaced it, and now it stays between 89C and 93C, even under heavy load up an incline, with AC on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of a followup...185K now and still runs great. Pulled an unloaded 18' car trailer back and forth between here and a friend's house several times, absolutely no issues with that.

This thing is great. Had a few bugs at first to deal with...missing fan shroud, cylinder head temp sensor was bad...put coils and plugs in not long after I got it...good to go. Got some good rubber on...snow...no problem.

The ONLY issue I have...muddy gravel roads...the mud gets thrown up on the running board underneath the backs doors. When it freezes, the door are are hard to open and then won't close unless I take a long screwdriver and dig the frozen crud out.

If it's slushy out, and then freezes later, the slush will do the same thing. All the plastic trim is in such close proximity...

Back