Roof Rail Delete | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rail Delete

The roof is identical across every model - Base, XLT, Limited, ST, and PIU. I don’t know how to prove it to you - of course it won’t flag for a ST when it was for a Base or PIU. But there is no tangible difference between the roof or mounting points for the roof rack rails or lack thereof across the model range. You either accept the common architecture of the different models, or you don’t...
Quite a difference between the mounting points on the Sport and the ST....
Inside vehicle access required on the ST to get to the nuts, as opposed to tapped bolt access from top on the Sport. Front retainer totally different on both vehicles.. And that's without getting too deep into the architectural differences

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could this be it? But cannot get a p/n.

I did find the retainer pieces for the roof rack less moulding though.

RH retainer - Less Roof Rack

LH retainer - Less Roof Rack

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.44.03 PM.png

EDIT:

So here are some moldings that look correct, but I can't obviously validate that
a7545074eab77d2b6792617059e14d88.png

Nailed it Shahdog. And, there is no guarantee that the RR mounting points on the ST are the same on the PIU. That is why Joff, the site mgr for Dana is going to research the parts. I am the first person that has asked for them. With the 2020 PIU being a new model, none of the departments here have had the dubious distinction of rolling one. :snicker:

could this be it? But cannot get a p/n.

I did find the retainer pieces for the roof rack less moulding though.

RH retainer - Less Roof Rack

LH retainer - Less Roof Rack

View attachment 179603

EDIT:

So here are some moldings that look correct, but I can't obviously validate that
a7545074eab77d2b6792617059e14d88.png
Only two mounting points. The luggage rails on an ST w/o sunroof have four.

Quite a difference between the mounting points on the Sport and the ST....
Inside vehicle access required on the ST to get to the nuts, as opposed to tapped bolt access from top on the Sport. Front retainer totally different on both vehicles.. And that's without getting too deep into the architectural differences

What model are you even talking about? There is no Sport... That died in 2019.

There is no externally-accessible nuts or bolts on the XLT either. You have to drop the headliner.

Only two mounting points. The ST rails have three. If in fact you have found the correct parts, the issue then becomes will it fit the ST and, if so, what to do about the center mounting point point on the ST rails.

It appears that they simply didn't need the third mounting point to retain a light piece of plastic. The front and rear points appear to be identical.

Also, investigating PIU parts is probably adding to the complexity. The Base model has the exact same roof rack delete on it, and you won't get stuck in the loop of trying to prove things like having a PIU VIN, dealers that don't do much fleet, etc. Every Ford dealer in the nation either has or will be dealing with Base model trims, and should have equal access to the part.

What model are you even talking about? There is no Sport... That died in 2019.

There is no externally-accessible nuts or bolts on the XLT either. You have to drop the headliner.

The reference is between the differences on the 5th gen (Sport) and the way they are mounted on the 6th gen (ST).

The reference is between the differences on the 5th gen (Sport) and the way they are mounted on the 6th gen (ST).

Got it. I didn’t realize we’d been comparing two different generations this whole time. Not sure how the last gen was relevant, but that explains the insistence that the roof is different. Of course it is! They’re two separate generations. Not sure what the 5th gen ever had to do with all of this, but I’m glad we’re all on the same page now that the roof on all 6th gens is the same.

Bad news. I gave the parts dept the vin of a newly delivered base Explorer w/o the roof rails. He ran it and came up with the picture you posted. There are no separate part numbers for the inserts. Evidently Ford is of the belief that if the inserts need replacing it is because the vehicle has rolled onto its roof. As such, the only way to obtain the inserts would be to order a replacement roof. Gag ! I am going to ask Benny at Levittown Ford if that is his conclusion too.

Just now from Benny:

I believe the numbers are
LB5Z-7850462-AA
LB5Z-7850463-AA
The data in the catalog is a bit funky I think because the VIN may be too new.

They are on a slight backorder and looking at the diagram these may be oversized to ship. Our selling price is about 414.00 on them
Please let me know if you may be interested.
Thanks,
-Benny

Keep us updated on the install and if there are any issues? The middle mounting whole ect

Benny just sent me an invoice for them. They are now ordered. All I can do now is wait.

The issue as I perceive it is going to be related to supply. I am sure that those on hand are dedicated to the production units. Be they PIU or base XLT.

Just now from Benny:

I believe the numbers are
LB5Z-7850462-AA
LB5Z-7850463-AA
The data in the catalog is a bit funky I think because the VIN may be too new.

They are on a slight backorder and looking at the diagram these may be oversized to ship. Our selling price is about 414.00 on them
Please let me know if you may be interested.
Thanks,
-Benny

Ya! those are the p/n's I found. Wonder if that is the same Benny from my Mopar forum...Based on the parts I found, the retainer may be specific to them as well. I can list those out too

Right molding - LB5Z-7850462-AA
Right retainer - LB5Z-7802500-AB
Left molding - LB5Z-7850463-AA
Left retainer - LB5Z-7802501-AB

Here are the parts w/ picture. There is the molding and the short retainer below. I can't get numbers for the bolts, nuts and clips though. Maybe benny could. I would also have him check the retainer as there looks to be 2 part numbers, sunroof and light bar

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.44.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.44.03 PM.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 141

So much for being unattainable special you-need-a-hookup parts. :chug: :snicker:

So much for being unattainable special you-need-a-hookup parts. :chug: :snicker:

Ill be keeping mine for random storage up top, however I am excited to see someone do this mod and how it goes!

Ill be keeping mine for random storage up top, however I am excited to see someone do this mod and how it goes!
I typically prefer them. I took it off my Explorer, but at the time it was lowered 2 inches and rolling on 225/45s :crazy:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a cleaner look without!
It looked better with the 31 mudders and lift. Looked GREAT at the transmission shop all the time.

Back