LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,432

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! Why are your overload springs on upside down? Is there a benefit to this?

They provide safety in a flip-over situation.
Of course I`m kidding, they are Old man EMU 2" lift springs I had gotten during my previous building binge. That`s how they came to me.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got my exhaust back in.

I had to modify my cat system to fit above the bracket. The stock configuration has the second chamber at an angle, so I cut it and turned it flat..
I didn`t realize at the time that I only really had to cut between the two sections, the cut in the first pic is actually redundant because it doesn`t matter where that flange lines up, the connector allows you to spin the exaust to wherever you need it. If anything, it will decrease under truck wind resistance, allowing me to wheel faster. Good practice anyway, and the whole proceedure only took about 45 minutes.

I`ve been doing all my own welding since after the radius arms were done by a friend. I guess I didn`t have the confidence, I`m no expert but I did pretty good on the radius arm bracket, and now the cat.

Anyway the pics tell it all, so look at them!

Attachments

• exhaust reinstall 1.JPG
    exhaust reinstall 1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 995
  • exhaust reinstall 2.JPG
    exhaust reinstall 2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 996
  • exhaust reinstall 3.JPG
    exhaust reinstall 3.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 991

Eventually I got the whole exhaust in and started the truck to let her run a while..
If it looks funny, the muffler was from a local shop, something called a "spinner". It was cheap when I got it so whatever.

Attachments

• exhaust reinstall 5.JPG
    exhaust reinstall 5.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 977
  • exhaust reinstall 4.JPG
    exhaust reinstall 4.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 986

Ended up ordering a set of 6 inch lift coils locally from a company called BDS, for a 79 Bronco. Too much hassle to try and get some of the more often used brands on the site here. I`ll have to figure out how much the Ex will compress them next.

I got the local machine shop working on my method to bring the lower coil seats back in line, I`ll talk about that more when they are done.

Attachments

• BDS 6 inch coils.JPG
    BDS 6 inch coils.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 992

Lookin good so far:thumbsup:

I think those full size Bronco coils are going to be pretty stiff on the Ex. Does BDS make coils for an Early Bronco? Those should work better as far as spring rates are concerned but rock em if ya got em:D

Damn, you got the wrong coils. Now you have to do a v8 swap to add extra weight. :(

:D

Alright I feel dumb, take your shots, ya vultures!

one slip up among a greatly detailed build....who cares.....you make up for one slip up with the rest of your build......

Haha, we've all been there/done that. :p: I dont think you can put enough weight on the front of your X to run those. I know you can swap stock 79 Bronco coils into an early Bronco and it gives about 3" of lift. Considering the coils are about the same height, that should give you an idea of how stiff they will be.

:D Tunnel vision, I been so focused on 79 this and that that I never even gave it any thought.
Anyway, that`s why it`s good to share here! I should be able to get some new springs in by the weekend...

My springs finally came in, since they are skyjacker, they are red, which I didn`t even think of at the time, and that kind of sucks! I hope to paint them since they would be the only red thing on the Ex.

I had the local machine shop make me some shims to go under the coils seats, they are about 8.5 degrees. For the top I needed a way to ensure the bolts are sitting straight, so in lieu of another shim, it was suggested I use some angled washers that are used in the construction of steel structures. Specifically, they are used when bolting large channel or I-beams together. The channel is angled inside to about 8.5 degrees.

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 900
  • angle shim.JPG
    angle shim.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 915
  • front spring prep.JPG
    front spring prep.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 906

Well, I think may have got screwed up here yet again.
I was researching spring rates and such to formulate mounting the springs, and when I search the skyjacker site, I find that the part number of my springs "176" come back as:
Coil Spring for a 1979 FORD F-150 PICKUP SUPER CAB
Description
Softride; Coil Spring; Pair; Front w/6 in. Lift;

The box says on it, as well as the part#
6" coils 66-79
7" 66-77 BRO (Bronco, I assume)

When I crunch the numbers by spring size I get a compression of 2.619 inches of the springs under my front vehicle weight.

Any thoughts?

Hey just curious, what number did you use on each front corner for weight?

Any thoughts?

I think you should just order some Wild Horses 5.5 or 6.5 Rock Crawlers and call it good like everyone else. :D :p:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hey just curious, what number did you use on each front corner for weight?

Well, in the absence of for sure numbers I used an overall weight of 4200lbs, and based on info I found where guys weighed the front vs the back, they indicated the front typically weighed somewhere around 100 lbs heavier. So I divided the weight, offset a hundred to the front and halved that number, so it`s about 1100lbs per front side.

That`s a big question in itself, is that number even correct? I don`t know for sure. I searched and searched for skyjacker spring rate info and can`t find any either, but I did find a spring rate calculator based on spring dimensions.

I think you should just order some Wild Horses 5.5 or 6.5 Rock Crawlers and call it good like everyone else.

I may just do that to be safe, The local parts store isn`t a supplier for those brands so I thought I might avoid a mail order thing where I get screwed on over-the-border duty.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Looks great! Why are your overload springs on upside down? Is there a benefit to this?
attachment.php

I am going to guess: He wants the hieght from it ~.5", with out the flex limitation that an overload causes.

no man its a rollover safty feature.. but seriously kirby is on to something there.

Back