• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack ideas

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
So I want to weld up a custom roof rack, and I overbuild everything. Before I go pulling the headliner out, maybe y’all can save me some work? What is under the stock rails on the roof? Specifically, is there a nut welded under there or a threaded bar that is structural? Do I need to pull the headliner to replace these with something else as a base to weld to?

Attachments

• 76683009-E612-486F-85AF-EB07DCA6C34A.jpeg
    76683009-E612-486F-85AF-EB07DCA6C34A.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 226

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are nutserts in the roof itself, the screws just go into those. I like those as anchor points, if the rails are sturdy etc, they distribute the load better. I'm hoping I can find or make up a metal square piece to fit the channel. Note those are curved front to back, not really flat. Ideally I'd make something to replace the OEM support rails, and then bolt a rack assembly onto those.

Yeah I have two 1x1 square tubes bolted to what’s left of the original clamp/bracket things, and thought about doing what you suggested. My other thought was to remove the rails and replace them with some maybe 1-1/2x3/16 flat bar to match the curve, and bolt that to the original holes, maybe further forward, and then using a straight edge to make uprights of the correct lengths to accommodate the rack. I kinda want to make it the whole length of the roof, that’s why the extension.

Yeah I have two 1x1 square tubes bolted to what’s left of the original clamp/bracket things, and thought about doing what you suggested. My other thought was to remove the rails and replace them with some maybe 1-1/2x3/16 flat bar to match the curve, and bolt that to the original holes, maybe further forward, and then using a straight edge to make uprights of the correct lengths to accommodate the rack. I kinda want to make it the whole length of the roof, that’s why the extension.
That sounds like a very good plan.

Now to find some spare time! Lol I’ll post pics if I can get to this in the next couple weeks

I went to the wrecking yard and got rails to extend the rack to the front. There are nut zerts in the roof for mounting the stock rails in the stock position. I used 3 sheet metal screws in each rail extension with rubber washers to mount them. I bought 4 hitch style racks, assembled them, welded them together and mounted them using bolts and the existing slides. I got all my camping gear on top, rear seats removed and my bed is ready, made-up in the back.
We often take-off in the late afternoon/evening to get a good spot, sleep and set-up camp in the morning. I have only ahd one trip for enough days to remove the racks and use in camp, very handy.

rack2.jpg

rackety.jpg

xedge-1.jpg

That’s cool! So your saying you used stock rails to make yours longer?

Yes as I wanted to retain the slides and mounting. I grabbed extra flat nuts that ride in the tracks at the wrecking yard and matched bolts to them. There are four bolts down into the slides on each rack. I don't always mount all four, don't always need the full rack. I am looking for utilitarian use more than pretty, so I rivited a bunch of hold downs to the roof. The rack is strong being bolted down and then I strap it all down to the separate tie downs. I am likely to remove the side on two of the racks so I can fit wider stuff. I got the racks on sale at harbor freight.

I have also made a fairing for it and note my slide-out tailgate/table:
big-shot.jpg

air-deflector.jpg

I went to the wrecking yard and got rails to extend the rack to the front. There are nut zerts in the roof for mounting the stock rails in the stock position. I used 3 sheet metal screws in each rail extension with rubber washers to mount them. I bought 4 hitch style racks, assembled them, welded them together and mounted them using bolts and the existing slides. I got all my camping gear on top, rear seats removed and my bed is ready, made-up in the back.
We often take-off in the late afternoon/evening to get a good spot, sleep and set-up camp in the morning. I have only ahd one trip for enough days to remove the racks and use in camp, very handy.

rack2.jpg

rackety.jpg

xedge-1.jpg
Can you please post more close up pics of the extended rail? I want this but I’m not seeing how you extended the rails. And are those the generic eBay style racks? Appreciate it very much!!

Ok, so it looks like I have a mountaineer which has a completely different roof rack. Mines a bit “fancy” and would look stupid extended.
I’m heading to junk yard today to get two Explorer racks. I can get a 64” rack off eBay for 150-200 bucks. I’ll post some pics.

Ok, so it looks like I have a mountaineer which has a completely different roof rack. Mines a bit “fancy” and would look stupid extended.
I’m heading to junk yard today to get two Explorer racks. I can get a 64” rack off eBay for 150-200 bucks. I’ll post some pics.

What condition are your factory rack parts in? I want to change one of my Explorers to the Mounty rack, bt haven't had the time to go to my JYd's to look for one.

The Mountaineer racks have different locations of the holes, and the bars are nothing alike as you now know. It's all plastic except the two cross bar pieces.

After years of using my stock roof rack, I purchased a trailer to use instead. It has 12" of road clearance, it is only 5x8, and it makes a nice storage shed when I am not towing it.

Securing stuff in the roof rack is a pain, risky because of theft, and open to the weather.

Attachments

• 607.jpg
    607.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 182

I have a first gen but it should be similar to what you have... I removed my factory cross bars and made my own out of 3/4 steel square tubing. I secured them to the factory rails with the nut plates that normally have the little tie down things screwed into them.

My rack came from Cabela's. I attached it to the square tubing cross bars with hose clamps (not ideal but they have worked well.) It's very low profile and I've had probably 3-400lbs on it with zero issues. I recently attached a couple of Pelican cases to it as well for somewhat secure and very weatherproof storage.

Sm8k1lb.jpg

HQRBSix.jpg

dxWb2re.jpg

What condition are your factory rack parts in? I want to change one of my Explorers to the Mounty rack, bt haven't had the time to go to my JYd's to look for one.

The Mountaineer racks have different locations of the holes, and the bars are nothing alike as you now know. It's all plastic except the two cross bar pieces.
It’s in pretty good shape, you’re more than welcome to it if you’re around Gainesville Florida.
The junkyard here only charged me 25 bucks per rack
And the explorer rails are in fact metal covered in some rubbery material. I got some yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for.

Attachments

• 630396AD-2FDA-4E9E-8209-5AB6D0DA5FB6.jpeg
    630396AD-2FDA-4E9E-8209-5AB6D0DA5FB6.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 199

Sounds like you got a handle on something that will work for you.

My lady and I just got back last night. We got 3 nights camping in Moab. We hauled most everything on top which made it easy to make a comfy bed in the back.

My rack has evolved:
img_2832.jpg

Sounds like you got a handle on something that will work for you.

My lady and I just got back last night. We got 3 nights camping in Moab. We hauled most everything on top which made it easy to make a comfy bed in the back.

My rack has evolved:
View attachment 321826
Is that a half basket I'm seeing? Or does the rocket box fit in the basket?

Looks good!

Is that a half basket I'm seeing? Or does the rocket box fit in the basket?

Looks good!
That is four hitch racks that are modified. I cut the rails off one side to fit the SportsRack box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back