What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 105 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Sync 3 APIM swap and 3.4 version firmware upgrade. Newer maps plus AA compatibility.
I plan to do this later this year. I have only seen one source for the APIM. Do you know if we have any other options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan to do this later this year. I have only seen one source for the APIM. Do you know if we have any other options?
Not knowing which source you're talking about makes it difficult to recommend another.

Peter

Ok cool, so my Explorer should run around that time too, i got Livernois 93 performance tune, CAI, and correct plugs (14's where changed heat range) No thermostat yet, will probably get one from ecoboostpowerparts.com.

I am ready to do plugs this weekend, which plugs have worked the best on the '14 n/a? I have my eyes on the ngk iridium. I have seen a couple gap suggestions but would like to know what is currently best bet!

I got my APIM and screen from Simply Michigan on eBay. It needs to be the recessed screen and they go quick. I missed 2 or 3 before I finally snagged one. Not cheap, but better than spending similar amounts on a replacement head unit. I mainly wanted AA capability, but getting updated built-in maps and the more responsive and better (IMO) interface was a big plus. They were out of stock on the USB hub I needed for my '16, but had the hubs for the '11-'15 models. I got the hub and antenna from Amazon.

Simply Michigan eBay Store
USB Hub for 2016 on Amazon
Antenna on Amazon

Those are the parts and pieces I bought. A little over $800 total. I emailed SimplyMichigan about the recessed screen and he gave me a heads up when they were about to add another unit to the store. Very responsive eBay seller. Like I said, they go quick.

Any issues with the firmware upgrade?
None at all. I used FordSyncDownloader from Cyanlabs. Very straightforward and the apps author is very responsive on Discord (there's a link to that in the app).
Pic of 3.0.18093 running on my 2016 Sport.
20200723_182902.jpg

Pic of AA running on 3.0
20200722_203458.jpg

Pic of iHeartRadio running through the Apps function in 3.0.
20200722_202954.jpg

I didn't take any pics after I updated to 3.4.20136, but other than visuals and responsiveness, it pretty much works the same.

Minor details, but been a while I was thinking about a way to better store my umbrellas in my trunk.
Install 2 leather strap on the headliner one has a magnetic clasp for easy in/out.

I keep mine in the driver's door lower pocket. It is one of the shorter ones with the push button opener.

Peter

I keep mine in the driver's door lower pocket. It is one of the shorter ones with the push button opener.

Peter

I keep mine in that same area. Ive got a short compact one that fits right in there.

I got my APIM and screen from Simply Michigan on eBay. It needs to be the recessed screen and they go quick. I missed 2 or 3 before I finally snagged one. Not cheap, but better than spending similar amounts on a replacement head unit. I mainly wanted AA capability, but getting updated built-in maps and the more responsive and better (IMO) interface was a big plus. They were out of stock on the USB hub I needed for my '16, but had the hubs for the '11-'15 models. I got the hub and antenna from Amazon.

Simply Michigan eBay Store
USB Hub for 2016 on Amazon
Antenna on Amazon

Those are the parts and pieces I bought. A little over $800 total. I emailed SimplyMichigan about the recessed screen and he gave me a heads up when they were about to add another unit to the store. Very responsive eBay seller. Like I said, they go quick.

None at all. I used FordSyncDownloader from Cyanlabs. Very straightforward and the apps author is very responsive on Discord (there's a link to that in the app).
Pic of 3.0.18093 running on my 2016 Sport.View attachment 319283
Pic of AA running on 3.0
View attachment 319284
Pic of iHeartRadio running through the Apps function in 3.0.
View attachment 319285

I didn't take any pics after I updated to 3.4.20136, but other than visuals and responsiveness, it pretty much works the same.

I like everything in this post but the beer 🤢 LMAO! 🤣:chug:

I like everything in this post but the beer 🤢 LMAO! 🤣:chug:
I'll admit Mich Light might not be the best, but it's a pretty good "everyday" beer. I drink all different kinds and brands. Not particularly a fan of IPA's like most of the younger generation seems to be. Stouts, porters, lagers, ales, I like 'em all.

The Sync 3.4 system is working great. (Well, as great as any Sync system ever has)

What did I do, hack into my 2011 XLT with Forscan and added Navigation. I'd put that as a productive day!

This is a culmination of the changes I have made
CC449DFB-E914-4234-ADAD-12BF0F2B34EB.jpeg
OEM Bumber Guard

DE3F46C4-E9CE-482A-B80C-CF4FAA22600F.jpeg

Front Window Tint, OEM Splash Guards, OEM Window Deflectors

BDA44421-5C09-4822-85F6-B480E4ADE7D2.jpeg

Explorer Hood Badge

Things you can’t see:
  1. LED Turn Signals (front and rear)
  2. LED Reverse Lights
  3. LED High Beams

I put that same bumper guard on mine and it does nothing to protect the edge which is where most of the stuff hits lol Looks cool tho!
I totally agree with you there

Check out this post. This is the one that protects the edge. It is made by BMC. Rear Bumper Protectors

Peter

Because of the embossed chrome, this is nearly impossible to appreciate in person. I put dark gray vinyl stickers inside the "EXPLORER" on the tailgate.

View attachment 320162
Because it is all in the details!
That looks nice, got more details, you cut all of them yourself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because it is all in the details!
That looks nice, got more details, you cut all of them yourself?
I thought about it! My wife just got a Cricut, but I looked around online to see who had some. I got these from this seller, though actually on Etsy. Kind of a pain to apply, but follow their online instructions and you'll be alright.

Back