What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 106 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Because of the embossed chrome, this is nearly impossible to appreciate in person. I put dark gray vinyl stickers inside the "EXPLORER" on the tailgate.

I have been looking at black ones on eBay for that.

Looks awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got around to hardwiring my dash cam. I got the Kenwood dash cam at BestBuy on sale for $99.00 and found the hardwire kit for $19.00. I was going to wire to fuse box via fuse-tap. What a pain, 2015 used mini type fuse and the tap would not go into the fuse holder. After looking at it closely the tap was manufactured poorly. I decided to scrap that after doing contortion acts just to get to the box. I pulled the wires back up to the A-pillar and tapped into the purple wire and grounded to 7mm bolt that was right there. Worked great, wish i had done that to begin with.
Hiding wire was too easy.
6B7F4279-D402-40A7-9594-0F7D3F8D4244.jpeg

Made some back end changes in the past few days.

Tinted back reverse/blinker, tinted back bottom reflectors, changed Limited emblem to black, changed EcoBoost emblem to black.

IMG_3980.jpeg

I just went out with my trusty laptop and obd2 thingy and enabled remote start. Ordered the 5 button key fob and now playing the waiting game to get it in....cut and programmed. Been a good day.

Made some back end changes in the past few days.

Tinted back reverse/blinker, tinted back bottom reflectors, changed Limited emblem to black, changed EcoBoost emblem to black.

View attachment 320360
Looking nice...young man

I just went out with my trusty laptop and obd2 thingy and enabled remote start. Ordered the 5 button key fob and now playing the waiting game to get it in....cut and programmed. Been a good day.

Looking nice...young man
Remote start is a game changer. Especially in the heat.

I hope this is my last post about programming keys. Since I enabled remote start and programmed a 5-button key, and it was successful.
I decided to purchase an extra 5-button key and use the 2 4-button keys as backups (in the catch all drawer at home). Programming the 4th key was a failure and not only that, none of my keys would start vehicle or buttons would not work. I was sweating at this point and not only because it was 90 degrees at 9:00 pm here in ATX. So I had to do the dreaded erase all key option on FORScan. 12 minutes of anxiety getting into the programming mode.......programmed the 2 5-button keys first, then the 2-4 button keys. Success on all 4. Now I leave well enough alone and i have all the keys that my system says are programmed.
Good Night Eileen

Installed tempered glass screen protector on my sync3 screen. I had cleaned the screen the other day and a tiny spot could not be removed. It was a very tiny nick in the screen(i ferry 4 grandkids around), so preventative maintenance was in store.

Finally had time to work on the Sport-
Steeda rear control arms last week and Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade today. Welcome back, Apple Car Play!

in the garage- rear sway bar.

Finally had time to work on the Sport-
Steeda rear control arms last week and Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade today. Welcome back, Apple Car Play!

in the garage- rear sway bar.

And the sway bar is in! Middle hole- BIG improvement over stock bar.

And the sway bar is in! Middle hole- BIG improvement over stock bar.
I wonder if I did something wrong, or if I'm just more difficult to impress. In what order did you reattach those sway bar end links and tighten down the new bolts to the frame?

I wonder if I did something wrong, or if I'm just more difficult to impress. In what order did you reattach those sway bar end links and tighten down the new bolts to the frame?
I followed the steeda instructions.
Loose attachment of the end links-
Then attach the mounts, Center the brackets on the bolts, tighten to 42lb/ft, tighten the end links.
Have you made aggressive lane change maneuvers, back to back? Big sweeping on or off ramps at high speed? Mountain roads? I hit highway 176 outside Saluda NC. Body roll has been reduced significantly and oversteer comes on much later. Vehicle response to sudden direction inputs is definitely quicker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back