Sport Dressed as an XLT?

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seward, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Saw this Ex on craigslist and thought it looked mighty interesting.
2drXLT.jpg

I've heard of the Explorer Expedition being like an Eddie Bauer spec sport, but I've never seen a sport with chrome bumpers and no factory fender flares. I honestly think it's a nice clean look. Anyone have one like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's clean....I'm glad you posted....I couldn't remember who / nor find post where we discussed you looking for a rust free one / and how I might be able to mediate one here in So Calif.... did search but to no avail.
Where is this one located?

Yep, I'm still looking for a clean manual truck. This one's in Anchorage and has a blown head gasket, so I don't think it'll be the one for me haha! I just thought the trim level was interesting. I don't think Ive ever seen another sport like it.

It’s probably factory. They offered many trim/bumper combos over the years.

Found another 2DR Explorer in this trim -- realized it's not a Sport at all, it's an XL!

blueXLrear.jpg
blueXLleft.jpg

blueXLright.jpg
blueXLfront.jpg

I guess the XL has chrome bumpers, only comes in manual, and doesn't have the black paint on the sides of the rear window like an XLT?

Apparently the XL came in a 4DR 4x4 configuration too -- still manual without black on the liftgate though.
greenXLrear.jpg

greenXLright.jpg

greenXLleft.jpg

Interesting, I wish mine had body paint on rear hatch pillars like that one, instead of Ford OEM rattle-can black, like most mine are peeling. Recently plasti-dipped them.

Interesting, I wish mine had body paint on rear hatch pillars like that one, instead of Ford OEM rattle-can black, like most mine are peeling. Recently plasti-dipped them.
I personally prefer how the black looks with the tinted rear windows and liftgate glass, but I too have had to repaint mine (a couple times now). I've always used the Rustoleum semi gloss black because it's durable, easy to find, and fairly cheap. That said, I plasti-dipped my rims several years ago and they're holding up well too. Like any coating, the prep work is key.

I like the black pillars too but since mine and 80% of them that I see are peeling due to poor quality OEM flat black I'd take the acrylic polyurethane enamel body paint over that. I don't have the patience nor justify all the labor on a '95 rig to do it correctly - sand it all down to smooth surface / prime / paint etc......if the rest of the rig was in near mint condition I would seriously consider the time investment.
P.S. I just checked for some Sports in my area for you and one that seemed to have potential turned out to be a pig in a tuxedo.... :) ....overheated SOHC....but still "running"

P.S. I just checked for some Sports in my area for you and one that seemed to have potential turned out to be a pig in a tuxedo.... :) ....overheated SOHC....but still "running"
Haha thanks!

Yeah, I've been trying to stay on top of the hunt, but there's a lot of junk out there on CL and folks on FB Marketplace generally all seem to be flaky. I know something will come up eventually -- till then, I'll be savoring the last miles in my '97 on the three gears I have left!

Found another 2DR Explorer in this trim -- realized it's not a Sport at all, it's an XL!

View attachment 330234
I guess the XL has chrome bumpers, only comes in manual, and doesn't have the black paint on the sides of the rear window like an XLT?
Before 2004, Sport = 2 doors. XL, XLT, etc are just trim levels.

Before 2004, Sport = 2 doors. XL, XLT, etc are just trim levels.
Yes, I understand how XL and XLT (and others) are common trim levels for the four door trucks, but I was previously unaware that any second gen two door trucks came in the XL trim. I have definitely seen them that way in the first gen trucks.

If I understand correctly, '95-'98 (?) two door trim levels went something like XL<Sport<Expedition

And four door trim levels went XL<XLT<Eddie Bauer<Limited.

At some point XL became XLS -- '99 I think?

Maybe we're saying the same thing; all Sports ('91-'03) are two doors, but not all two doors are Sports.

All two doors are Sports. IE it’s a 1994 Explorer Sport XL. They have different trim levels. The expedition was only a 1995 thing.

I never heard of a "Explorer Expedition" until I saw one of the emblems on Ebay for it last week. And when on my search for a 4.0 OHV engine Explorer (knowing of the SOHC timing cassette issues) I would seek out the "basic / budget" version Explorers -- XL or XLS for 97 - 2000 years knowing they were the one's that always had the OHV engine in them....as well as the 95 or 96's that only had the V6 in OHV setup.

All two doors are Sports. IE it’s a 1994 Explorer Sport XL. They have different trim levels.
I started to post something similar this morning, but from my phone at work and I got interrupted. All 2 doors are Sports, and all 2003 and earlier Sports are 2 doors. 2 door = Sport, Sport = 2 doors.

Yep, I'm still looking for a clean manual truck. This one's in Anchorage and has a blown head gasket, so I don't think it'll be the one for me haha! I just thought the trim level was interesting. I don't think Ive ever seen another sport like it.

Have fun haggling on price. 2WD with 46181 miles...

Have fun haggling on price. 2WD with 46181 miles...
Man that truck looks clean! But yeah, I don't think I could bring myself to pay $8k for a 20+ year old Explorer in any condition.

Favorite line: "IT IS PRICED TO SELL QUICK"

I love how they know it’s had “highway miles”. The mileage is actually low enough it’s probably a bad thing. 2wd, $4,500 tops, and that’s even silly.

Here's a clean one with low miles and cheap (what's the catch...right?) but it's auto and I'm pretty sure you wanted a stick like most Sports are....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m kinda sorta considering this one...

55C56994-33F6-4B87-B17C-0E20C30818C4.jpg

Back