do i replace a water pump that is not failing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

do i replace a water pump that is not failing

Reaction score
ive got the radiator, fan , front bumper and whellhouses out of my 2000 explorer xlt 5.0, bought it new. 205k miles. engine burns clean. havea few questions since i can get to the front of the motor now. (im replacing all hoses, belts lines and a few other things to make it relaible for a 1000 mile trip

if your water pump isn't failing and its age is unknown, would you replace it?
there is some kind of wierd looking switch inside of left frt wheelhouse near core support. has a few vacuem lines and an electrical cable. what is, what does it do? when it is not functioning right, how does the engine perform? Mine has an idle which does not maintain a constant rpm.
Is the EGR a ***** to replace, will it most likely break? any tips? seems its near the firewall all tucked back.
passenger side exhaust manifold. how likely to snap a bolt off in the head if i try to replace it?
thanks
david

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 205,000 miles with the front stuff out of the way at the moment I would DEFINITELY replace it...

I'm confused by this: You said YOU bought it new....but then you say: "and its age is unknown, would you replace it?"

????

Do beware of this possibility....but still bite the bullet and get it done now:

I’d do it. It won’t ever be easier. At the very least the impeller probably has considerable wear at 200k

My vote buy the pump and hardware and put it on the shelf
if it starts to leak Then fix it
If it ant broke don't f............
The reason I say is I bought a aftermarket unit it wss bad out of the box
Buy only a Motorcraft unit

Light years easier with no radiator in the way. Those bolts are only going to get more stuck as well.

Light years easier with no radiator in the way. Those bolts are only going to get more stuck as well.
My bad
when I do a pump I also replace the rad and hose s

I’m also biased as the water pump was the only thing to ever keep my Mounty from getting to my destination.

My bad
when I do a pump I also replace the rad and hose s
Hoses for sure. It’s not a bad idea to swap out the radiator, but nice ones are spendy. I hate doing things twice. Unless it’s electrical. Then I’ll do it a million times, like a total dummy.

Then I’ll do it a million times, like a total dummy.
You do electrical stuff ....I like to tinker with tube amps ...
How long have/were your box covers off in your house?? Lol

I went to school for residential stuff but after I had my first couple seizures I couldn't do it anymore

You do electrical stuff ....I like to tinker with tube amps ...
How long have/were your box covers off in your house?? Lol
All the device covers have always been on. The panel box cover has been off for 15 years.....

The water pump is due if it gets to 200k miles, but also the timing chain set. I was going to do mine last year, but one of the first bolts broke, and I needed it done by the next day. I was replacing the radiator, so going farther was a good plan, I got the balancer done but skipped the WP and timing chain.

So definitely buy the WP and all six coolant hoses, maybe the fan blade if it's cracked, fan clutch etc. But to do the water pump, you should really do it when you can be without the truck for a few days. Any broken WP bolt could extend the repair time by a bunch. The timing chain is not hard to do once the WP is off, and you allocate an extra coupe of hours to R&R the timing cover. I gather having a spare timing cover is best before trying to get that off.

ive got the radiator, fan , front bumper and whellhouses out of my 2000 explorer xlt 5.0, bought it new. 205k miles. engine burns clean. havea few questions since i can get to the front of the motor now. (im replacing all hoses, belts lines and a few other things to make it relaible for a 1000 mile trip

there is some kind of wierd looking switch inside of left frt wheelhouse near core support. has a few vacuem lines and an electrical cable. what is, what does it do? when it is not functioning right, how does the engine perform? Mine has an idle which does not maintain a constant rpm.
Is the EGR a ***** to replace, will it most likely break? any tips? seems its near the firewall all tucked back.
passenger side exhaust manifold. how likely to snap a bolt off in the head if i try to replace it?
thanks
david
I have always opted to replace relatively inexpensive parts with 100k+ miles on them when I am doing a repair that allows me to take advantage of the disassembly needed for that repair. For the price of the water pump it is worth it to me to do this for the piece of mind knowing that part won't be a concern for a long while. Plus, I don't have to spend time doing it later. I have done this all my life except for my younger days when money was tight. I recently replaced the water pump on my Mountaineer when the radiator had to be replaced. It just made sense to do it while it was easy to get to and replace. Especially for a vehicle with more than 100k miles. Yours has 200k+ miles which makes preemptive repairs more than justified, IMO.

I have always opted to replace relatively inexpensive parts with 100k+ miles on them when I am doing a repair that allows me to take advantage of the disassembly needed for that repair. For the price of the water pump it is worth it to me to do this for the piece of mind knowing that part won't be a concern for a long while. Plus, I don't have to spend time doing it later. I have done this all my life except for my younger days when money was tight. I recently replaced the water pump on my Mountaineer when the radiator had to be replaced. It just made sense to do it while it was easy to get to and replace. Especially for a vehicle with more than 100k miles. Yours has 200k+ miles which makes preemptive repairs more than justified, IMO.
Thank you!

The water pump is due if it gets to 200k miles, but also the timing chain set. I was going to do mine last year, but one of the first bolts broke, and I needed it done by the next day. I was replacing the radiator, so going farther was a good plan, I got the balancer done but skipped the WP and timing chain.

So definitely buy the WP and all six coolant hoses, maybe the fan blade if it's cracked, fan clutch etc. But to do the water pump, you should really do it when you can be without the truck for a few days. Any broken WP bolt

So definitely buy the WP and all six coolant hoses, maybe the fan blade if it's cracked, fan clutch etc. But to do the water pump, you should really do it when you can be without the truck for a few days. Any broken WP bolt could extend the repair time by a bunch. The timing chain is not hard to do once the WP is off, and you allocate an extra coupe of hours to R&R the timing cover. I gather having a spare timing cover is best before trying to get that off.
Great, thank you I was wondering a
At 205,000 miles with the front stuff out of the way at the moment I would DEFINITELY replace it...

I'm confused by this: You said YOU bought it new....but then you say: "and its age is unknown, would you replace it?"

????

I don't recall having a mechanic havingvdobe it. I'm sure I didn't. Hence uncertainty.
bout that timing chain. I'll do bith
could extend the repair time by a bunch. The timing chain is not hard to do once the WP is off, and you allocate an extra coupe of hours to R&R the timing cover. I gather having a spare timing cover is best before trying to get that off.

thanks
david
Hi friend,

As @Mbrooks420 shared, I would take a good look at the timing cover gasket. This is a very common leak point at the age of your vehicle, at the top of the the corners of the timing chain cover where the coolant goes in and out. If you pull the water pump, I would definitely do the timing chain cover gasket and while you are there, the timing chain and gears as well. All parts relatively inexpensive.

The pulleys in the belt routing are all wear parts, there are 3 of them to replace from my memory, do them all if you have not already. When they fail, you will be on the side of the road.

I do not know your maintenance history but if it were me, heading out on a long trip, I would consider the fuel pump assembly at this age/miles if it has never been replaced along with a complete tank cleaning (you need to remove the tank to do this)

As far as the EGR valve, are you getting codes? You do not say why you want to replace it and yes, it can sort of be difficult to get a good grip/angle on both the threaded connection to the exhaust manifold (I have used a crow's foot to break this connection) and the small bolts actually holding the EGT to the intake however, it is not that terrible of a job but I am not sure why you would want to replace it?

Surging idle could likely be IAC valve. Easy, inexpensive to replace. Cleaning the MAF sensor may help.

As far as the passenger exhaust manifold, the bolts to the head could be an issue, depends. I have replaced several of these and did break one off but it was on a vehicle that had a significant amount of rust. I ended up drilling it out and re-tapping but this can get tricky. Again, you did not say why you wanted to replace this, I am assuming you are getting a tapping / clicking sound and you can see the carbon tracks somewhere on the manifold / head where it is leaking? In any case, the real trouble bolts are the ones connecting the manifold to the down pipe to the exhaust. On the passenger side, these are a real pain to access and you may have to cut them off. These bolts pretty much get a build up of corrosion and combined with the heat cycles and combustion gases, they are very, very stubborn to remove, even with a lot of patience, penetrant, heat, etc....

I cannot tell from your description what your are talking about in the "left frt wheelhouse near core support". Maybe additional description or a picture will help.

Funny thing, I am now down to owning / servicing 3 of these 5.0 - 4R70W drive trains and I would trust going across country in one of them more than I would my recently purchased 2.0 Ecoboost Twin Scroll Turbo - 6F35 drive train.

Good luck,

@CDW6212R said:

"to do the water pump, you should really do it when you can be without the truck for a few days."

@
eaganexlorerhz : ^^^^^^ This is the best free advice.

80% of this job is proper surface prep, chasing the bolt holes with a tap so you get accurate & even bolt torque, and when ready to assemble - cleanliness...

It's also nice to have the time to allow the RTV to cure a full 24 hours before putting coolant back in the system.

Hope that helps -

I would change it, with not knowing how long it has been on the truck and the constant work it will be doing on a 1000 mile trip it could be any moment it starts to weep. Also on long trips dont forget to bring quick repair stuff, its alot cheaper than a tow bill. Pepper goes with me any long trip, it will seal small water leaks and can be easily (over other things) got back out of the system.

+1 for doing the pump, timing set, and cover gasket. Order new studs too, they’re likely corroded.

Murphy will strike. You’ll get it together, the old WP will fail. You’ll replace it, only to find your timing cover gasket is now leaking from disturbing everything.

Do it once, do it right.

Put it like this my 06 4.0 Merc i got because of timing chain issue. I replaced everything from that point out and havent had any issues with the truck in almost 100k aside from a FP sensor. Drives like a new truck and is driven daily. And use Motorcraft oil only IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

????

Mine started leaking at 150,000,... I just replaced it. At 205,000, I would not hesitate, if I were you.

Back