2014 Explorer Limited power loss at higher altitude | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited power loss at higher altitude

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just moved from Massachusetts to Colorado Springs. I know that the altitude is what is causing my power loss but what I can't find is the best option to try and get some of it back. I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with the NA 3.5L. I have been searching the forums and can't really find anything for the newer Explorers. I have been looking at CAI's and throttle body spacers but I'm not sure as this is my first time living at such an altitude. Has anyone figured this out?
You might try 86 Octane gasoline if it’s available.

I have just moved from Massachusetts to Colorado Springs. I know that the altitude is what is causing my power loss but what I can't find is the best option to try and get some of it back. I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with the NA 3.5L. I have been searching the forums and can't really find anything for the newer Explorers. I have been looking at CAI's and throttle body spacers but I'm not sure as this is my first time living at such an altitude. Has anyone figured this out?
Take the negative battery cable off .put a towel under so it will not touch battery post take the positive jumping cable connect too the negative cable and the other red too the positive that is still connected to battery leave connected for 10 minutes. Remove jumping cable and connect the negative back too battery .this will cause the vehicle to relearn itself. Hope this is helpful

You probably won’t be happy with it unless you; 1) install a turbocharger, 2) sell it and buy one that’s turbocharged.
Cold air ram and throtte body will do little to nothing make up for altitude power loss.
There is a youtube on TORQAMP turbocharger which is electric and makes very little modifications to original OEM setup. I think its 5psi boost for up to 3.0L at all rpm ranges. The loss of atmospheric pressure from SL to 6000’ is about 3psi on standard day. My WAG would be that you would recover your SL horsepower with your 3.5 at all except maybe the highest rpms. You can contact them for the particulars on your vehicle. This is the website and email for contacting:
TORQAMP.com
Jelke@torqamp.com

Hello Phil.
Since you live in Colorado Springs (and if you're interested), you could visit the National Museum of WWII Aviation and have a look at how Republic solved the problem of high altitude power loss in P-47 Thunderbolt, affectionately referred to as the Jug. The airplane dominated the sky at altitudes above 25,000 ft by incorporating a turbo supercharger that ran the entire length of the fuselage aft of the P and W R-2800.

P-47-powertrain_DSC_7265-66-pano (2).jpg 1_P-47-powertrain_DSC_7262 (1).jpg 0_P-47-powewrtrain_DSC_5382-crop-1024x739.jpg

P-47-powertrain_DSC_7265-66-pano (2).jpg 1_P-47-powertrain_DSC_7262 (1).jpg

P-47-powertrain_DSC_7265-66-pano (2).jpg

Try using higher octane fuel and see if that helps some. Not just 92 - but even higher from a specialty gas station.

Try using higher octane fuel and see if that helps some. Not just 92 - but even higher from a specialty gas station.
Probably the extra costs would not be worth the small amount if any, power gained.

Peter

Probably the extra costs would not be worth the small amount if any, power gained.

Peter

You might be right. In this area, the higher octane fuels (~ 100 ) are more expensive but still lower cost per gallon (or liter) than normal fuel in Canada and California prides itself on very high fuel taxes.

Thanks. I have found a lot of stuff about turbos being good for high altitudes and I don't have any problem with my SHO. It makes me wish I had the Explorer Sport. The problem solver/mechanic in me thinks that a fan in the intake tube to help draw air (kind of a redneck turbo) would make a difference but who knows

The others have brought up good points. It may be worth considering another explorer with the 2.3 ecoboost or the sport if the power loss is bothering you that much. If you think about it jet planes are able to fly at a higher altitude than prop planes because of the engines ability to compress the air entering in. Don't even bother with the ebay electric turbos, they are worthless plus you run the risk of the propellers breaking off and getting sucked into your engine

Hello Phil.
Since you live in Colorado Springs (and if you're interested), you could visit the National Museum of WWII Aviation and have a look at how Republic solved the problem of high altitude power loss in P-47 Thunderbolt, affectionately referred to as the Jug. The airplane dominated the sky at altitudes above 25,000 ft by incorporating a turbo supercharger that ran the entire length of the fuselage aft of the P and W R-2800.
Awesome post and on-target point. Also good to see appreciation for the workhorse that was perhaps the best-engineered (but, ahem, least "visually appealing") fighter of the war, responsible (all versions) for both more air victories and for bringing more pilots home safely than any other.

But back on topic, agreed that supercharging is the true fix, the one that will work.

You are going to lose power due to less air being able to be compressed inside your motor. My 2011 5.0 Mustang loses a ton of power when I go over Monarch's pass in Colorado.

I also have 2014 Sport that doesn't lose much power at all because naturally higher altitudes have cooler air which is easier to compress for turbos. What you are experiencing is completely normal for a NA vehicle.

A tune may open it up more with power, but the loss you experience at altitude will always be present on a NA motor. A cold air intake is not advisable as there really isn't a true cold air intake designed for this platform. A drop in filter (aFe/AEM) would be your best bet.

The bold is not really true.
80F at sea level is the same temp as 80F at 10k feet above.

The main benefit of turbo(s) is that they can usually compensate for the less dense air at higher altitude.
I believe the boost on the Ecoboost engines are absolute pressure, so the system tries to target the same boost level regardless of altitude.
Since the air is less dense at higher altitudes, the turbo(s) have to 'work harder' to obtain the same absolute pressure inside the manifold.

The good thing is if you can hit the same boost level, you'll maintain more power. You'll lose some power just due the fact that you are compressing the air more which equals more heat and you are possibly operating outside the turbo's optimum efficiency range. But the power loss will be nowhere near what an N/A engine sees.

Back