2014 Explorer Limited loses power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited loses power

Benji99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer Limited
My 2014 Limited Explorer is my wife's vehicle. While this has happened several times now it has only happened once while I was driving the vehicle. Driving along the interststate the explorer lost power for about 2 seconds. I didn't have a chance to look at the dashboard to see if anything unusual lit up. My wife has reported most recently when this occurred, she noticed the gear selector didn't show D for drive and nothing was lit up. She said she flipped the car into neutral and back into drive and everything was fine. Again, this has happened about a dozen times now while driving.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm going to take it into the dealership in a couple of days but was hoping to have an idea of what it might be. Certainly seems like it is transmission related as the engine does not lose power.

Thoughts?

My 2014 Limited Explorer is my wife's vehicle. While this has happened several times now it has only happened once while I was driving the vehicle. Driving along the interststate the explorer lost power for about 2 seconds. I didn't have a chance to look at the dashboard to see if anything unusual lit up. My wife has reported most recently when this occurred, she noticed the gear selector didn't show D for drive and nothing was lit up. She said she flipped the car into neutral and back into drive and everything was fine. Again, this has happened about a dozen times now while driving.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm going to take it into the dealership in a couple of days but was hoping to have an idea of what it might be. Certainly seems like it is transmission related as the engine does not lose power.

Thoughts?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Did putting the selector in Neutral and back in Drive just turn the "D" back on or did it actually affect the driving/power as well?
There have been a few posts about throttle body issues but nothing about that affecting the lighting of the transmission gears.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Did putting the selector in Neutral and back in Drive just turn the "D" back on or did it actually affect the driving/power as well?
There have been a few posts about throttle body issues but nothing about that affecting the lighting of the transmission gears.

Peter

Thanks for the response. Putting the selector in Neutral and back into drive will turn the D indicator back on and the car gains power again. It's almost as if the car "pops" out of gear. When it happened to me, the car gained power again on its own so I'm assuming it's electronically "losing" the gear and not mechanically.

I have an appointment on Friday at Ford. We shall see ...

Back