TPMS interchangeability for a 2014 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS interchangeability for a 2014 Explorer Limited

Maxbaby

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hello, I've been searching for an hour but cant find an answer. I have a 2014 Limited with the 20" factory rims. I have a friend who has available a set of winter tires on rims that he purchased from the dealership at the time for his 2013 Explorer XLT. They are on 17" steel rims and have the Ford TPMS sensors. Can someone tell me if the 2013 sensors will work on a 2014? I tried using Ebay to back-check the part number and it seems like the 2011 thru 2014 sensors are the same...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I've been searching for an hour but cant find an answer. I have a 2014 Limited with the 20" factory rims. I have a friend who has available a set of winter tires on rims that he purchased from the dealership at the time for his 2013 Explorer XLT. They are on 17" steel rims and have the Ford TPMS sensors. Can someone tell me if the 2013 sensors will work on a 2014? I tried using Ebay to back-check the part number and it seems like the 2011 thru 2014 sensors are the same...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yes, they should work if both have the 315 MHz frequency which you can check by both going to this site and entering your VIN. In the list you should find a line item that shows Frequency - 315 MHz or Tyre Pressure Sensors - 315 MHz. https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...id=AC072302510CA22B12A915647C0AFDE1.eccvas510
Are you looking to put the 17" wheels on your vehicle? That may be an issue since the brakes were upgraded part way through the 2013 model year. You may be able to get away with it but I would try a 'dry fit' with one first. Although there are a couple members who were able to use the 17" most members are using 18".
Also please update your profile to show '2014 Limited'. That is useful info to see in the margin.

Peter

Thanks for the response. I'll do a little more research on the size... I'd read about the 17" thing but thought it was more related to the"sport" model and not the Limited.

Thanks for the response. I'll do a little more research on the size... I'd read about the 17" thing but thought it was more related to the"sport" model and not the Limited.
All models were upgraded to the Sport HD brakes at that time.

Went to the dealership today to get my 2014 snow tires TPMS "Learned" to my 2017 Sport computer because you need the special tool to do that.

(Tool is not meant as a description of the service advisor or tech)

Even though the 2014 TPMS and 2017 TPMS are both 315Mhz, the 2017 sensors are different and the "Learning" tool wouldn't give the confirmation "Beep" when held against the sensor.

Good thing is the TPMS DIC light went out but the DIC wont give actual tire pressures.

For those that have the right sensors you can access the learning procedure by hitting hazard light button 6X while engine on or 3 ignition on, 1 brake press, 3 ignition on.

Went to the dealership today to get my 2014 snow tires TPMS "Learned" to my 2017 Sport computer because you need the special tool to do that.

(Tool is not meant as a description of the service advisor or tech)

Even though the 2014 TPMS and 2017 TPMS are both 315Mhz, the 2017 sensors are different and the "Learning" tool wouldn't give the confirmation "Beep" when held against the sensor.

Good thing is the TPMS DIC light went out but the DIC wont give actual tire pressures.

For those that have the right sensors you can access the learning procedure by hitting hazard light button 6X while engine on or 3 ignition on, 1 brake press, 3 ignition on.
I mentioned this problem in another thread. I just had the dealer do the learning thing after they installed the correct sensors. I drove around for a day on the sensors that were on the Winter wheels I was using from the 2014 MKT before the warning light came on. I delayed getting the sensors installed as I had to make a trip back a few days after getting the new vehicle in order to pick up the OEM cargo cover. Haven't driven on the OEM tires yet. Will have to wait until Spring.

Peter

I mentioned this problem in another thread. I just had the dealer do the learning thing after they installed the correct sensors. I drove around for a day on the sensors that were on the Winter wheels I was using from the 2014 MKT before the warning light came on. I delayed getting the sensors installed as I had to make a trip back a few days after getting the new vehicle in order to pick up the OEM cargo cover. Haven't driven on the OEM tires yet. Will have to wait until Spring.

Peter

Did you get quoted on the "New" 2017 sensors .....my dealer said Canuckastan price was over $100 each I said, thanks but no thanks.

Did you get quoted on the "New" 2017 sensors .....my dealer said Canuckastan price was over $100 each I said, thanks but no thanks.
No, they didn't mention that. Mine were around $85 each.

Interesting information here, but not exactly what I was looking to figure out. I've got a 2013 xlt. With the 18" steel wheels that have the goofy chrome plastic covers. I didn't realize they were plastic when I bought the car (used). It's almost time for tires and I found a guy selling some 2017 polished aluminum 20" dual 5 spokes with brand new tires. I've researched the tire size difference and don't anticipate any issues there, but what do I do about the toms? Will my '13 recognise the '17 sensors?

Interesting information here, but not exactly what I was looking to figure out. I've got a 2013 xlt. With the 18" steel wheels that have the goofy chrome plastic covers. I didn't realize they were plastic when I bought the car (used). It's almost time for tires and I found a guy selling some 2017 polished aluminum 20" dual 5 spokes with brand new tires. I've researched the tire size difference and don't anticipate any issues there, but what do I do about the toms? Will my '13 recognise the '17 sensors?

In 2013 they used two different TPMS frequencies 315 and 433 Mhz you have to run the VIN of the 2013 to find out which ones were used on yours because it changed after a certain build date.

In 2013 the instrument panel (DIC) software didn't allow for individual Tire Pressure PSI to be displayed so all you had was a trouble light illuminate if the pressure went down because you had a flat tire.

Other than mounting one of the new tires, you would need to ask dealer on compatibility if the frequencies matched. Even then lots of dealers really dont understand the system.

You actually have the exact opposite issue I have with 2014 TPMS not matching with a new 2017 vehicle, too bad we cant swap so we both have them working properly.

Welcome to the Forum Brady.:wave:
As Sgt1411 mentioned, you have the opposite problem that he had. I very much doubt that the 2017 sensors will be compatible with the TPMS system in the 2013 since the sensors are designed to send info from each individual wheel that is identified to the vehicle system module whereas the 2013 sensors just send out a signal indicating that any wheel may be low. Not sure if the 2017 sensors can be modified.
Please add the trim of your Explorer (XLT) to your profile so it always shows in the margin. That can be useful info in some cases. Thanks.

Peter

We'll, dang. That's unfortunate, I'd really like the sensors to work. So if I go ahead and put the newer wheels on, and therefore remove the stock sensors will I constantly get a message? I'd be alright if they just didn't read but I don't want to have to clear a message every time I get in the car.

We'll, dang. That's unfortunate, I'd really like the sensors to work. So if I go ahead and put the newer wheels on, and therefore remove the stock sensors will I constantly get a message? I'd be alright if they just didn't read but I don't want to have to clear a message every time I get in the car.
Yes, you will get the warning message after driving several miles. I believe it took mine about 30 miles or so. I was advised the sensors in the Winter wheels I used on my previous vehicle would have to be changed. Since I had to go back to the dealer in a few days anyway I told them to mount the Winter wheels and I'd get the sensors changed when I came back.

Peter

So here's my dilemma. Obviously I don't want to drive around with the warning chime sounding every time I start the car. I haven't found any resource to turn the light off and the dealer obviously won't. I could have my old wheels broken down, tpms taken off of each of them, have my new wheels broken down, remove and replace the tpms with the stock ones, then have all the tires remounted, but at $10 per on/off that's an extra $160. That's dumb. Do my sensors have to be spinning to read or can I just remove them and keep them in the car until I have the tires off for another reason? There's gotta be s better solution.

So here's my dilemma. Obviously I don't want to drive around with the warning chime sounding every time I start the car. I haven't found any resource to turn the light off and the dealer obviously won't. I could have my old wheels broken down, tpms taken off of each of them, have my new wheels broken down, remove and replace the tpms with the stock ones, then have all the tires remounted, but at $10 per on/off that's an extra $160. That's dumb. Do my sensors have to be spinning to read or can I just remove them and keep them in the car until I have the tires off for another reason? There's gotta be s better solution.
I don't know for sure if they have to be spinning or not. I have read some posts that said they do. If that is the case then I don't see how some people without the TPMS sensors in Winter wheels had their alarm turn off when they pulled into their garage and parked next to their stored OEM tires with sensors. The best solution I can see is to take the sensors out of the 2017 20" wheels and install the same type of sensors you currently have. I'd check with the dealership first and see if the ones in the 20" wheels can be set up to function as the ones you currently have. Perhaps one of our members familiar with Forscan can advise if this is possible.

Peter

Yes I feel your frustration, I'm in the same boat as you but the other way around.

I was thinking about this a little, the 2014 sensors that don't work with my 2017 because even though both are 315Mhz the 2014 sensors arent sending the correct information to allow the vehicle to display the PSI in the Drivers Information Center.

But.....In my 2014 Explorer with those same 2014 sensors I could plug in my SCT X4 Tuner to the OBD II port and guess what?......I could see individual tire PSI. So that means the 2014 TPMS sensors DO send that info it's just not being interpreted or accepted by the 2017 CANBUS system in order to display in the 2017 DIC.

BTW Thanks to Benny at Levittown Ford Parts he provided me with the correct information and excellent pricing on the new 2017 TPMS.

In regards to the TPMS sensor a 2017 X sport with 315mhz uses F2GZ-1A189-A
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/oemparts/F2GZ-1A189-A

Back