Tow hook install...add to the list of others | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow hook install...add to the list of others

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
So I did what a lot of other 2nd geners did.....got hooks off F150 / Expedition from J.Y., painted and drilled holes into bottom of frame just before bumper mount, used recommended Grade 8 bolts., didn't do any shimming on mine, did cut off bottom half of XLT bumper, thinking of taking another inch off across for even quicker access.
Next comes 2" lift....tires...shocks....
hooksc2.jpg
hooks c3.jpg
hooks complete1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the bolts I used....(bolt holes in F150 etc hooks are 1/2)..... found them sold individually at specialty store:
bolt link
Here's the drill bit I used for the four holes (by fourth hole bit was pretty spent but rather that then spend $28 for H.D. bit)
(Harbor Freight titanium Uni-bit worked great for pilot holes)
drill bit link
And the cherry on top:
spray paint
**I wanted hooks as far up as possible thus the front bolt hole "landed" in that not-so-easy spot for a hole...

FRAME BOTTOM PIC2.jpg

Fortget to mention but propably already knew...our frame ends are basically capped....so you need to take a sawzall and cut that square section out to feed / tighten bolts.... also one of those flex tools with magnet on end is your friend here, helps guide bolts down in holes etc...doable without but....also works great for picking up metal shavings off ground after job...

FRAME ENDS.jpg AFTER CUTS.jpg

Fortget to mention but propably already knew...our frame ends are basically capped....so you need to take a sawzall and cut that square section out to feed / tighten bolts.... also one of those flex tools with magnet on end is your friend here, helps guide bolts down in holes etc...doable without but....also works great for picking up metals shavings off ground after job...

View attachment 423647 View attachment 423648
I like that Idea of cutting out the plate. I just put a wrench in there and used a socket on the bottom. But this way makes it a lot easier. I also on another explorer I had the F150 hooks the nuts were together with a plate so not needed to hold the bolt. Even the ones I bought on Amazon.

/\ Yeah... that plate with both holes is way to go but entire bumper was still mounted on Expedition I got these off of....didn't want to hassle removing and then "hoping" to successfully get those out of small wedges.....also if drilled holes are off just a bit ...no successful lineup with that.
Did you use smaller bolts/ hook? .... Can't see getting 3/4" wrench in there for my 1/2" thread bolt heads.

/\ Yeah... that plate with both holes is way to go but entire bumper was still mounted on Expedition I got these off of....didn't want to hassle removing and then "hoping" to successfully get those out of small wedges.....also if drilled holes are off just a bit ...no successful lineup with that.
Did you use smaller bolts/ hook? .... Can't see getting 3/4" wrench in there for my 1/2" thread bolt heads.
I turned the wrench on its side then turned the right way and put the box end on the bolt and it worked just fine for me.

My 3/4" head wrenches are too wide to pull that off....

Added some to the back as well... didn't end up using the Ford retainers again (female threaded plates) so if someone needs them let me know...just pay shipping.

REAR HOOKS.jpg s-l1600.jpg

I bolted my Grill Guard in a manner similar to what you're describing (cut off the end cap) but I used the heavy bolts that are used to bolt the rear bumper to the frame. They come in pairs and are attached to each other as the ones pictured above but are much larger and stronger. Had to drill new holes, but Once you get the Nuts inside the frame bolting them from the bottom is easy.

Back