• Register Today It's free!

Tow hooks

maximus44

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4 4dr.
I have seen two methods of mounting the tow hooks to the frame at the front of the vehicle.

1st- Drill two mounting holes through the bottom of the frame. Take the bumper off and use a wrench through the front of the frame to hold the nuts.

2nd- Drill two mounting holes through the bottom and all the way through the top of the frame. Use longer bolts so you can secure the nut on the top of the frame.

My question is, would the second method be stronger?

I've read a couple of threads where the person used the first method and have had their hooks ripped from the frame (along with a bit of the bottom part of the frame).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...what you didn't see is guys will put a steal plate that is threaded as a backer plate for the bolts to keep the bolts from pulling thru, one plate for both bolts...;)

I used to first method with no problems. I haven't put my hooks under tremendous amounts of stress, but they have been used without any problems. Logic says, however, that the second method would be stronger.

I used to first method with no problems. I haven't put my hooks under tremendous amounts of stress, but they have been used without any problems. Logic says, however, that the second method would be stronger.

did you use a steel backing plate to prevent the bolts from ripping through the frame?

All of my 4 tow hooks were only attached to the bottom of the frame, and that part of the frame has bent from the tow hooks at all 4 places. Mine have also been put to the test many times and have lasted through some pretty tough pulls. I would suggest going through both the top and bottom if you can.

i don't think that i will drill through the top...but i might go but a steal plate and drill some 1/2" holes in it and throw it in as a backer.

The steel plate could keep the bolts from pulling through, but it wont keep the frame from bending.

What if someone were to bend or weld up a bracket that would extend further back on the frame with 4-5 bolts holding it to the frame? What thickness would you want to use?

Dan

...it does matter if you have open or closed frame rails...my X used to have bolted on hooks with a backer plate but i put on different hooks and had them welded...there is a 5-6" weld bead on each side of the hooks and location for strength is a place you want to look for...otherwise, you should modify your location to be strong enough to hold your hooks...you can also bolt your hooks on to a strong area and have them also tack welded at a muffler shop for cheap...the tack welds make a good inspection spot, if the tack welds crack, you are stressing the area to much but that again is compliant only if you have a good location to begin with, if that makes sense...here is a pic of my new hooks when we mounted them, just under the frame rail...:D
weldpart1002rw5.jpg

Although many people weld their tow hooks on, I personally won't pull someone that's stuck with welded tow hooks. Welding tow hooks on improperly can and will cause much damage, and could cause injury or death. I have a friend that had a tow hook partially stick through the hood of his Landrover.
It was a good thing that he rises the hood when winching people out from being stuck, otherwise it would have gone through the windshield. He doesn't winch people with welded tow hooks any more.
I'm not saying that your tow hooks are unsafe, because they are welded, but you need to inspect them often, and consider adding bolts to your welded tow hooks, just for safety's sake.

...thats why i mentioned bolting and tacking for inspection of stress. only..if i had a better pic of my hooks you would be impressed with the welds...i am comfortable that my hooks would not ever pull off my truck but it is not what i recomend others to do...;)

...hey ray, i re-read my post and apologize if it sounded rude as i didn't mean for it to...i also noticed i didn't include that i do also have bolts...
...btw, where the heck have you been??? i haven't chatted with you in a while...:D

No Need to apologize. I was merely trying to convey to others that doing a half ass job of welding is dangerous, and I certainly hope that you did not think that I was talking about you specifically. I did mention that you should inspect your welds on occasion, but was really meaning anyone who does weld them should be inspection them. Sorry for the poor used of the English language, and confusion. :eek:

I'm working more and enjoying it less.

Back