Custom spare tire mount - less cargo area hog | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom spare tire mount - less cargo area hog

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
Just thought I'd pass this along .... instead of having larger (off road) spare HOG 90% of cargo area I put this together. Going to cover base with black ABS plastic sheet for nicer appearance... will post pic of that tomorrow when completed. Digging it so far.
P.S. This is a under $40 investment versus $1,000+ for the external swing tire carriers.

FLOOR 1.jpg CUSTOM MOUNT.jpg MOUNT UNDER VIEW.jpg CLEARING WINDOW.jpg ABS SHEET.jpg TIRE INSTALLED COMPLETE.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice idea! I could see that being of interest for some of us living in the Northland where road salt badly corrodes the tuck-under spares and who would be willing to give up some interior storage to avoid that. Especially, if you're one of those who has a fifth tire/wheel as part of their tire rotation routine.

Just thought I'd pass this along .... instead of having larger (off road) spare HOG 90% of cargo area I put this together. Going to cover base with black ABS plastic sheet for nicer appearance... will post pic of that tomorrow when completed. Digging it so far.
P.S. This is a under $40 investment versus $1,000+ for the external swing tire carriers.

View attachment 425899 View attachment 425900 View attachment 425901 View attachment 425902 View attachment 425903 View attachment 425904
Really like!! Mid Atlantic here, Salt Lake Highway system!!

Final pics of finished application. (Propably going to run squared lynch pins through hooks ...still pondering base mounting options)
Did speed bump test / exiting rough parking lot tests and holding strong...no play...no squeaks..etc..
OH....and black spare wheel cover ordered for the finishing touch!... will be sweeet after that's applied.

NICE WO T.jpg CLEAN.jpg FULL.jpg

Great idea! I just keep thinking of what's going to happen if there is a sudden front end impact or severe braking.

Is the base just mounted to the board?
Will that bolt through the spinner break?
Will the pipe threads be a weak point?
Maybe think of a three-point mounting system?

View attachment 425899 View attachment 425900 View attachment 425901 View attachment 425902 View attachment 425903 View attachment 425904
Very cool idea. What have you bolted or screwed the plywood to?

Very cool idea. What have you bolted or screwed the plywood to?
I'm going to rig up something to the tie-down hooks or more likely remove their bolts and replace them with long ones that will run through my base as well.

Great idea! I just keep thinking of what's going to happen if there is a sudden front end impact or severe braking....
I'll probably upgrade that bolt to larger diameter and higher grade....

I like it! But yeah, stronger bolt, secure the plyboard down, and if you didn’t already, put a backing plate on the underside of the mounting hardware, with a bigger footprint than the metal base.

/\ I was going to put a backing plate on the underside (as you guys can see I did on top) but instead used super jumbo sized flat washers underneath.

/\ I was going to put a backing plate on the underside (as you guys can see I did on top) but instead used super jumbo sized flat washers underneath.
It's a great solution for that big tire. Whole idea is great, beats the swing out that makes rear visibility impossible. But, being the lazy thing I am, very seriously considering sewing up a waterproof covering for the stock spare tire (I don't have one yet, just the wheel!) Naugahide or something similar - to keep out salt and moisture so there would be some chance of unscrewing and actually using the spare. And putting Fluid Film on the metal parts first.

No biggie, but did upgrade, the ABS sheet, although looked good, was like a sheet of ice, everything not bolted down would slide like crazy....and got a crack in it and scuffed up. Got a box of self-adhesive / sticky-back carpet squares at Walmart for $15 for new top. Just passing along ....
CARP1.jpg
CARP2.jpg

Back