Automatic transmission fluid leaking. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic transmission fluid leaking.

explorer1007

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer
Hello, my ATF is leaking. I took some photos right about the transmission fluid pan. Not sure what this part is but this is the source of the leak. Is this repairable?
Thanks.

PXL_20220313_195141806.jpg
PXL_20220313_195324223.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the bulkhead sleeve and is a part that can be replaced. The OEM part can be bought for less than $20 and I recommend buying this over a third party knockoff. Here is a link to the part on Amazon. A video detailing the repair is below. While you have the pan dropped you should replace the transmission filter.

Thank you man. I was dreading to bring this to the shop.

The 6R60 and 6R80 transmissions are very reliable and at 230k miles a change of fluid and filter is probably way overdue. The most costly part of the repair is the transmission fluid to refill it. Be sure to only use Ford OEM transmission fluid. Especially since you would be mixing two different brands of fluid if you don't. You should buy the fluid from a Ford dealer because they will know the right fluid type for you to use. I think they might have changed the fluid specification for the 6R60 transmission to Mercon LV. Also, very few auto parts stores carry Motorcraft brand transmission fluid and I wouldn't trust them to know what the current fluid spec is for your transmission.

This video shows what is involved with a pan drop and filter change for your transmission. This has to be done to get to the bulkhead sleeve to remove it.

Lastly, I recommend you supplying the filter, bulkhead sleeve and transmission fluid to the shop if you aren't taking it to a Ford dealer. Repair shops usually go the cheapest route for parts and fluids which usually means they use lower quality substitutes for quality OEM parts and fluids. For something as delicate and expensive to replace as a transmission, you want to use quality parts and fluid.

I have changed the ATF three times at 100k (dealer), 175k (myself), and 190k with filter (myself, bought the wrong filter and underfilled it at 175k so I have to do it again but procrastinated for an year :p..). Not fun but looks like I have to do it again tomorrow. Thank you for the information. I will update tomorrow.

Good for you on changing the AT fluid that often. Most people never change it at all. Removing the sleeve isn't hard. As the guy in the video states, just be careful of the pins where the plug connects.

I hate dropping a transmission pan. The last time mine was down I bought a drain plug and had a welding shop install it in the pan. I drain and refill about every 40k miles and a filter can go for 120k miles so the next two services will not be much harder than an oil change.

Sign...not sure if I connected the bulk head sensor right. But the gear wrench light is on and my car isn't shifting properly. I can drive around but at around 50mph the engine is at 3500 rpm.
ATF change itself was uneventful but during changing the sleeve, I accidentally touched those sensor pins. I made sure the sleeve is deep enough and after reinsrted the white push pin thingy, I wasn't able to pull the sleeve out. I hope nothing is truly malfunctioning. It is too dark to look at it but I will check again tomorrow morning if I connected the sensor right.

What codes are showing? Its a long shot but you might try disconnecting the battery for 30-60 minutes to clear the learned data if you didn't during the repair. I would recommend checking the fluid level to make sure it is right. You mentioned that you underfilled on a previous pan drop so maybe it happened this time too. The 6R60/80 transmissions are picky about having a proper fluid level. Here is a video showing the refill procedure.

Looks like it fixed itself this morning when I started it up. Drove for a couple hours and all seemed good. I will keep an eye for the leak. Thanks. :D

Looks like it fixed itself this morning when I started it up. Drove for a couple hours and all seemed good. I will keep an eye for the leak. Thanks. :D
Drive it a bit and then check the fluid level again. Maybe I'm just slow but I've always had trouble with getting the correct level in mine. It's hard to check and it's hard to add.
Not long ago I sucked about 5.5 quarts out and refilled - thought I had it right. Then a few months later I replaced the radiator - you lose some fluid but really not that much. I checked it again a month or so later and so far I have added about another quart. And I need to check it again although I'm sure I'm very close. I have noticed a difference since I added just that one quart so stay on top of it.

The aftermarket dip sticks available are crazy high, but I'd buy one for a keeper vehicle. The fluid to fill one from empty is really high now, I hope Amsoil has a good fluid type match for the 6R's.

Make sure using mercon SP for the 6R60 and mercon LV for the 6R80 trans.

The sowcalled universal fluids (both SP and LV specs in same quart)wont match.

Thank you man. I was dreading to bring this to the shop.
I'm having kind of the same issue I have a brand new rebuilt remanufactured 5055 transmission for my 08 four-wheel-drive. I got it from AAMCO and within a year it started shifting hard and there's fluid coming out of the bell housing any ideas

I'm having kind of the same issue I have a brand new rebuilt remanufactured 5055 transmission for my 08 four-wheel-drive. I got it from AAMCO and within a year it started shifting hard and there's fluid coming out of the bell housing any ideas

Do you have pictures?

Back