-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Well, took an attempt at getting the leaf springs apart yesterday and just kept slipping on the rounded side of the center bolt, I'll get back to it with some vise grips one of these days. But I've got a camping trip this weekend, see if we can get it done before then.

No progress on anything else but more exhaust research, anyone have experience with JBA shorty headers for the 4.0? Looking at those combined with a Gibson catback system with a flowmaster 44 dual exit, should all combine for a nicer tone, louder and deeper than what she has now.

And opinions on the K&N CAI? Want to be sure that its setup is good enough to keep it from pulling heat from the engine, I'll do some searches too, but I figured I'd ask while I'm in here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

personally, im not a huge k&n fan, allows more contamination and oiling etc... wish the obselete amsoil dry filter was available, that wa sbest of both worlds :(

personally, im not a huge k&n fan, allows more contamination and oiling etc... wish the obselete amsoil dry filter was available, that wa sbest of both worlds :(
Most of the k&n parts my family and I have used so far are holding up pretty well, no complaints. But it's also a cold air intake, it's mostly similar to all the others, differences could be the tubing material and choice of filter mostly. Which this one is an HDPE tubing, or "strong" plastic like many other companies. But the heat shield around the filter is what I'm worried about mostly. And so far, most I see doing the same kit worry the same thing, think it'll be fine, if not I can always modify it myself.

Volant 19640 air cleaner, obsolete;
Amazon product ASIN B000XH7MCO
Well, for starters, that's out of stock, they dont even sell it on their actual website any more. Second, that looks more like it's for a sport trac or a ranger based on the angle the tubing ends with by the throttle body. Otherwise it would be great

It was made for the Explorer, before the Sport Trac existed. I have it in my 99 Explorer. That should be the standard to match or improve over.

Projectthread082.JPG

It was made for the Explorer, before the Sport Trac existed. I have it in my 99 Explorer. That should be the standard to match or improve over.

View attachment 428512
If you can find a link to one actually for sale, mind sending it? I'm seriously having no luck with that

I have good luck with K&N filters, but yah they take maintenance and you can over oil them. Don't over oil it!

I ordered an inline filter/housing from Spectre with 4" intake/outlet . I modified it, to fit a really big K&N cone filter and plumbed it for mucho cool air which is drawn-in from the fender. I am not sure of the 4.0 air needs, but this one is good for 600CFM
This may work:
Amazon product ASIN B005N6WY2S

I have good luck with K&N filters, but yah they take maintenance and you can over oil them. Don't over oil it!

I ordered an inline filter/housing from Spectre with 4" intake/outlet . I modified it, to fit a really big K&N cone filter for mucho cool air for my blown 5.0.
This may work:
Yeah, that's a little big for my SOHC! Bet it works wonders on that 5.0 though! Definitely something to be careful of as well

I ordered an inline filter/housing from Spectre with 4" intake/outlet . I modified it, to fit a really big K&N cone filter and plumbed it for mucho cool air which is drawn-in from the fender. I am not sure of the 4.0 air needs, but this one is good for 600CFM
This may work:
Thank you
This is an option
I was looking today into the inner fender seen the hole
Ill have to cut it out ....replacing the fender liner due to crack ...$7 at the jy...

1.5CFM/horsepower 1.5 X 207 = 310cfm is the air a stock 4.0 will pull but you need to add cushion for a dirty filter...............They do make a smaller unit:

Spectre Performance 9833 3" Inline Air Box​

MaterialAluminum
Item Dimensions LxWxH11.9 x 5.8 x 5.5 inches

• Includes a high flow lifetime HPR air filter
  • Polished aluminum housing
  • Has a 450 CFM rating

This is a larger one from K&N but $300:
56a7dadf46d44b6eb5164080ea8ee22e.jpg

Totally stock intake. We've been very happy running this dry filter during the pollen season then switching to the K&N for the rest.

View attachment 428525
Nice to see a comment from the Tardis! But I am trying to gain as much as I can from this while I'm at it. The cai swap won't add a lot, but every little bit counts. So I'm not really planning to keep the oem intake; not a bad idea, pollen gets so bad here!
1.5CFM/horsepower 1.5 X 207 = 310cfm is the air a stock 4.0 will pull but you need to add cushion for a dirty filter...............They do make a smaller unit:

Spectre Performance 9833 3" Inline Air Box​

MaterialAluminum
Item Dimensions LxWxH11.9 x 5.8 x 5.5 inches

• Includes a high flow lifetime HPR air filter
  • Polished aluminum housing
  • Has a 450 CFM rating

This is a larger one from K&N but $300:
View attachment 428524
Interesting..that's a long, thin filter! I'd have to rig a setup though, was kind of hoping to be pretty much swap in and swap out, make it nicer later on or something. Worth looking into

I run injen / amsoil blue dry filter with a pre filter for snow abs mud season

These filters work awesome are washable and no oil

I can comment on the jba shorty headers for the ohv, they are awesome good quality headers and will work with factory y pipe. Jba headers are usually coated as well and carb certified

Pacesetter headers are the cheapie you want to avoid, the quality is not there

Borla 4.0 headers are wicked good but only work with Borla y pipe or you have to build the y pipe if you only get the headers (junk yard find like me)
Over the years I have owned and installed many sets of 4.0 headers jba are good Borla are best pacesetter belong in trash lol

These filters work awesome are washable and no oil

I can comment on the jba shorty headers for the ohv, they are awesome good quality headers and will work with factory y pipe. Jba headers are usually coated as well and carb certified

Pacesetter headers are the cheapie you want to avoid, the quality is not there

Borla 4.0 headers are wicked good but only work with Borla y pipe or you have to build the y pipe if you only get the headers (junk yard find like me)
Over the years I have owned and installed many sets of 4.0 headers jba are good Borla are best pacesetter belong in trash lol
Thank you for all that! I'll look into those filters! Guess I'm getting some jba headers eventually! lol

Also, what tubing are you using? Try making your own, oem, aftermarket? Heat shield setup? If ya don't mind me asking

Well, tensioners will be in tomorrow. Camping after work on Saturday, so this'll be a fun time before work on Saturday. Maybe do an oil change at the same time could use it. Hope to have it done before that, shouldn't take that long to swap the tensioners and even test the old ones. Just hoping that's all it is, it does sound nicer once it warms up, but I'm really nervous that based on that sound, it's more than just the tensioners, guess I'll find out if they get here on time and if I decide to do an oil change.

Side note, think I know the cause of my lack of cruise control, so maybe once this current issue and other projects blow over, I can fix that. Think it's just a bad cruise servo since I'm getting no codes and the buttons still seem to have power and try to engage (speed control light flashes once when I try) but can't.

Still can't get the leaves apart either, that stupid rounded side, really didn't want to try taking an angle grinder or anything to it, but its seeming more and more likely by the day

My amsoil filter is mounted to the stock mas sensor with a simple air filter adapter.
I moved my battery to the rear cargo area giving my air filter the entire area behind the passenger headlight. I used a metal strap to hood the filter In place off the radiator support. I built a simple plastic guard that goes around the filter to keep it away from tire debris and engine heat, the area is fed with fresh air by a hose directly next to my headlight (1988 stock airbox feed location)

Be careful swapping tensioners

It is a super simple job but if you knick or marr the metal surface where the oil seal mounts you will get an oil leak like you have never seen…. Stream of oil. I had one sohc engine the Mounting surface was knicked slightly, that sucker leaked no matter how many times I Re did the seal (small thin metal washer)
Eventually I had to hand file the head smooth and I used a light film of permatex on both sides of the oil seal… that did it. I think I had the thermo housing and intake off 3 times for that one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My amsoil filter is mounted to the stock mas sensor with a simple air filter adapter.
I moved my battery to the rear cargo area giving my air filter the entire area behind the passenger headlight. I used a metal strap to hood the filter In place off the radiator support. I built a simple plastic guard that goes around the filter to keep it away from tire debris and engine heat, the area is fed with fresh air by a hose directly next to my headlight (1988 stock airbox feed location)
If you've got any pictures right off hand, love to see them, not sure I'll move my battery, but I would like add a second battery at some point.

Be careful swapping tensioners

It is a super simple job but if you knick or marr the metal surface where the oil seal mounts you will get an oil leak like you have never seen…. Stream of oil. I had one sohc engine the
Mounting surface was knocked slightly, that sucker leaked no matter how many times I Re did the seal (small thin metal washer)
Eventually I had to file the head smooth and I used a light film of permatex on both sides of the oil seal… that did it. I think I had the thermo housing and intake off 3 times for that one
That is good to know, totally not nervous about getting that done now! lol
I found a way to get to it without taking the whole housing off, just taking out the plugs in the way, at least for the front one, but after hearing that, think I'll suffer with it all off!

Back