-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

The mod box kit works on all 4.0 sohc motors
Different engine bays require different modifications
mine required lots of wiring and bracket mods
Everything needed is at the junkyard
...tip...get long ford wires of any color and sizes at the junk yard ....
the pretzel intake ran very cool

Keep the jokes coming we all like jokes ..😄

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mod box kit works on all 4.0 sohc motors
Different engine bays require different modifications
mine required lots of wiring and bracket mods
Everything needed is at the junkyard
...tip...get long ford wires of any color and sizes at the junk yard ....
For the pretzel intake ran very cool

Keep the jokes coming we all like jokes ..😄
huh the more you know!!! i thought moddbox said their kit was only for the pretzels... hmm...

huh the more you know!!! i thought moddbox said their kit was only for the pretzels... hmm...
Scroll down the page

Scroll down the page

it says pretzel here, or are there different variations in kits?

it says pretzel here, or are there different variations in kits?
From the link
1650070795237.png

Any engine that looks like the following photo is compatible. We have confirmed that our kit is compatible and several of our customers have already installed our product successfully. You will require a throttle body off a Ford Ranger (4.0L 2002-2011). We do not advertise this compatibility, however, we have all the parts instock and we can set them up for you. This setup can be found on various Gen II Explorer models between 1997-2003.

I'll maybe do that eventually! But sadly not any time soon with the price for it! For now I'll stick with the exhaust and cai swap for a little power add. But I will almost bet that I'll go that route over a 5.0 swap, at least for a while, especially if I can make my exhaust sound real nice with this motor. I do appreciate all the information and advice y'all have been giving! I'll nab a pic tomorrow, but anyone else ever thrown a small boat on the roof? It's about the size of the roof basket, had it since I was a kid and figured I can make use of it on the trip, secured and ready!

From the link
View attachment 428620

Any engine that looks like the following photo is compatible. We have confirmed that our kit is compatible and several of our customers have already installed our product successfully. You will require a throttle body off a Ford Ranger (4.0L 2002-2011). We do not advertise this compatibility, however, we have all the parts instock and we can set them up for you. This setup can be found on various Gen II Explorer models between 1997-2003.
whoops, i stand corrected ;)

Finally swapped my lightbar mounts out so now it'll actually shine in front rather than at the birds. Just about ready for the trip, going to wash her before I head out fully
Picture of the little row boat up there, fun trying to get it there alone! lol

Also, abs is intermittent, some drives it ain't on, some drives it comes on during the drive, and some drives it's on the whol time. No real pattern to it from what I can find.

Edit: Cleaned up, with a new paddle zip tied on to the side.
20220416_122328.jpg 20220416_122319.jpg 20220416_153848.jpg 20220416_153839(0).jpg

Some bacon and sausage, always nicer while camping! Ignore some of the mess, didn't get to unpack most of it due to constant rain yesterday, but that's the setup. Mattress topper folded over, comforter on top as some extra padding, with blanket that zips like a sleeping bag, honestly quite comfy. Flannel on the hatch panel due to the glass leaking as said before

20220418_082300.jpg 20220418_074311.jpg 20220418_074306.jpg 20220418_074239.jpg

Some nice pictures of the truck I nabbed, those were in Osceola National Forest from the night before.
Fourth picture, is a star shot, can make them out a bit (my laptop could see them, my phone aint even trying)
Went out to a park called Faver-Dykes State Park, little place, but it was a nice spot, other than that the water there was just swampland and completely filled by mosquitoes and gnats. Barely lasted a few minutes before saying it was too much, still made for a fun trip and some nice camera use. And thankfully, engine is still running, may see about working on it tomorrow, we'll see.

IMG_0562_Deathrow.jpg IMG_0581_Deathrow.jpg IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

Okay, quick help, how the hell do you do this, 27mm wrench has no room to do anything even if you can get a bite on it. Rather not have to take the plenum off due to the gasket, think I broke that white sensor (top bit wiggles now). I can't let it sit long

20220420_114121.jpg 20220420_114115.jpg

You do have to take the upper intake off first for sure. The tensioner is long, and you need the space to get at it from above. There also is a check valve part that needs to be in the passage next to the tensioner, a plug fills the hole. There was a TSB kit which included that front tensioenr and the check valve part, which is a long plastic piece that drops down into that hole. It simply helps to maintain oil in the passages leading to the tensioner. The later SOHC heads should all have that in them, but early heads didn't.

PLENUM MUST COME OFF as should the thermostat housing
remember I said pass side takes 5 minutes the drivers takes hour and a half

Even the passenger side, it's done now but jeez, the angle sucks and still took 30 mins to break loose. Guess the engine will run a bit rough for a bit due to taking the plenum off for a bit, but it's better than slacking chains

The trickiest parts are not moving the sensors on the thermostat housing(thus remove it all), and getting the EGR pipe out and back into the upper intake. Be patient with those things.

iirc, and i dont remember very well ;) but iirc i just removed the tstat housing, but didnt remove the intake plenum, or else i feel lik ei wouldve ordered a gasket set...

The trickiest parts are not moving the sensors on the thermostat housing(thus remove it all), and getting the EGR pipe out and back into the upper intake. Be patient with those things.
Well, as said, the top half of the white sensor wiggles, already did a bit before, only way I even got a wrench on it. Not sure it's a good wiggle based on looking at it

iirc, and i dont remember very well ;) but iirc i just removed the tstat housing, but didnt remove the intake plenum, or else i feel lik ei wouldve ordered a gasket set...
Yeah, did the gaskets not long ago, rather not have to again, but I don't see another choice, would be 100x more difficult getting the tstat housing out rather than the plenum

Who the hell at ford decided these things should be cemented in? I swear, front one will not break loose! Nothing can ever be easy with this truck :angryfire:

Its beginning to round out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who the hell at ford decided these things should be cemented in? I swear, front one will not break loose! Nothing can ever be easy with this truck :angryfire:

Its beginning to round out
if it werent challenging, then we'd all have perfect trucks!!! oh wait..... 🤣 :D wish i had a perfect truck!

Back