I'm building a overlanding explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm building a overlanding explorer

WAYAExp

Reaction score
City, State
Gadsden
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford explorer XLT
I own a 2004 Ford explorer XLT 4x4. I'm trying to figure out if a 04 ranger bumper will fit my explorer if I make a mounting bracket

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to EF! afaik, they are different frames so im highly doubtful it will bolt up. and i want to say they may have been a different width, but im not too sure on that one. i know ranger bumpers can fit the 2nd gen with light mods, but not sure avout the third gen, as there were many fundamental changes for that gen. imo, the easiest isto build yourself a tube bumper, not aware of a company that makes em for 3G xs. what other plans you got for the rig?

I have limb riser's I'm putting on with double battery and hood solar

oh nice!!!!! be sure to post plenty of pictures of the build!!!

That my explorer right now

IMG_20220604_154927696_HDR.jpg

Awesome man!! Yeah, I'd suggest a custom bumper, or ask a local fab shop about making one. Don't make much for the third gen. Love seeing another overland build, even if it is another year.

The dual battery is a great idea, wanted to do the same for my '99, but that didn't exactly pan out. 😅
Solar hood paired with it, perfect! Limb risers are nice, I just said the heck with it and tumbled my way through the trees without 😂

Any other plans as of yet? Like a roof basket? Other bits of armor? Maybe camping in the back like I did in the '99? even with a bunch of stuff like a winch in the cab, still made room and it was lengthy enough beside it. I'd gladly try and help point ya a few ways, I didn't do as much as I wanted to, but it was still an unstoppable rig in the woods even without the aftermarket bumpers! Even fun hauling the little ol' paddle boat around, need to look into an actual boat, that ol' thing is more of a kids boat, but it still works 😂

Made many of camping trips in the ol' girl, definitely a great idea to add more lights to yours. Looks like a roof lightbar, another brush guard one or pod lights wouldn't be a bad idea, pods would be good for more distance down the road. But auxiliary reverse lights, the greatest idea! I used two 6" roadshock light bars under the rear bumper, one spot and one flood beam, worked fantastic!

And welcome to the forum!!

20220416_153839(0).jpg IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0562_Deathrow.jpg 20220418_074239.jpg

Nice looking trucks boys

In a few months I will be making a custom full length safari type roof rack to mount to the factory holes. And by next year I would like to build custom off-road bumpers for the front and back with a winch and tire swing arm.

In a few months I will be making a custom full length safari type roof rack to mount to the factory holes. And by next year I would like to build custom off-road bumpers for the front and back with a winch and tire swing arm.
That'll be awesome to see!! Wish ya luck on it! Sad to hear its a third gen, meaning IRS, but there are still lift options for ya! I will say, not sure of roof dimension differences between the second and third gen, but the 84"x39"x6" on mine was a great fit, covered the whole roof with room to open the hatch! I'd suggest similar size if ya custom do it, unless ya don't want all that, know we all have our preferences. Could attach some pod lights/lightbars to that rack for side and reverse lights! Mount a jack up there, maybe a shovel and axe mount

I plan on adding light bars all around the rack my light bar now is mounted above the windshield with Chevy Tahoe brackets works perfectly. The life I'm doing is spacers on my springs. Trying to figure a way to fix all the rust on it tho.

Yeah, rust can be a killer, can always replace panels, like if its the fender, replace the whole fender. Hopefully not a lot of it is bad, mostly just surface rust, but I would get to working to fix that stuff asap. Just going to get worse, especially if you take it off road, getting it wet and dirty.

The lightbars all around is great! Seen a bunch like that, wish I could've had that chance. Think I've seen a few others use chevy mounts as well for the windshield bar

The worst rust is when u open the doors I figured cut that back and use fiber glass to fix it somehow

Ya got any pictures of it off hand? If not, don't worry about it. Could always redneck it like I see some people make fender flares, spray foam, sand it, paint it, good as new...? 😅
Not sure how much I'd trust it for that, don't think it'll help stop the rust either, but it would cover a hole 😅

I'll take more pictures I love showing her off I've replaced so much on her and she still runs strong

Be proud of it! Going to give it a name by chance?

Thats a nice name!! Could do something like throw a wolf emblem on the fender, similar to the hellcats and demons! Just for fun, laughs and giggles 😂
I threw a skull on the front brush guard of mine with snake skeletons and severed hands inside to represent the name of Deathrow 😂
Ohhh you do already have a roof basket!! Couldn't make that out before! Still nice to build a better one, looking at bigger tires? Overall the truck doesn't look too bad though! See some rear fender rust, thats fixable though by the looks of it? Doesnt look too far gone, if not, its small enough a body shape could probably do it or just replace the panel (probably not a fun process being the quarter panel).

This are the Rimes I want and toyo off-road tires. Probably going a size up. I want to Lazer cut WAYA on the side of the hood where the solar is going and use resin to feel it is and put RGB light in it to light up.

Screenshot_20220603-181819.png

That would be interesting!! Just make sure whatever tire and rim ya go to, is going to fit, or if ya need to lift a little. I'd save to add a lift and tires together, make it easy and look nicer. Toyos ain't bad, nice aggressive look, I went the Nitto route for mine, mostly for the wet traction, rains a good bit here in FL, so I need traction in the rain. 😅

Interesting idea for the hood! Be fun to see when done! Also, these may not be a bad idea, as said, similar to the hellcats and demons, just a fun suggestion. I tried to do similar on mine, but after receiving the skulls, I lost 'em, still ain't found 'em 😂

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the wolf would look amazing behind the explorer logo on the doors I would love to find someone who makes custom ford emblems so I could have WAYA done in black

Back