1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think my V8 has 3.27 gears? Not sure. My SOHC is 3.55s.

They both drive very differently. Never thought they’d be so different in terms of power delivery and shifting. The V8 feel much more like a truck powertrain.
327s? i thought all v8 was 373, but idk

seems like sohc is more smooth power maybe takes a bit to "wind up" like past 3k it pulls hard but v8 is hehe

Why do i feel like all rwd SOHC has 3.55
idk man i never looked probably cause the rwd no tow package? since i think tow package one came 373+ and maybe 4wd means people want more gear idk

idk man i never looked probably cause the rwd no tow package? since i think tow package one came 373+ and maybe 4wd means people want more gear idk
Oh ok maybe that's why

Oh ok maybe that's why
idk im just guessing since ya know 4wd=offroad=probably want more gearing

were there rwd tow pkg Xs? i dont think i seen many 355 4wd Xs maybe one? idk its murky that far back in memory

were there rwd tow pkg Xs? i dont think i seen many 355 4wd Xs maybe one? idk its murky that far back in memory
i believe so because of the bumper mount and the optional tow package

We had one but it was also a manual and 4wd also had tow pkg

All factory V8s will be 3.73.

Got it. I don’t know why I have 3.27 in my mind

Looks.... Great lol

IMG_20220903_144718188.jpg

Do you think I need to pull the rockers and inspect, or if everything is tight and wet, would they be good? Pulling intake for sure since there was an intake leak.

Nothing looks out of the ordinary. No oil/ water mix, nothing clean looking. Should I pull the heads while I'm here or leave alone?

IMG_20220903_175635569.jpg IMG_20220903_175630256.jpg IMG_20220903_175622882.jpg

If it was me, I'd button it up as is not disturbing anything else. Once you fully open it up you wouldn't want to seal the engine up knowing it needed a lot of work. I'm **** about my cars and sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back