1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 OHV Preventative Maintenance

Yep the SOHC would be amazing with metal reinforced guides
bro metal reinforced guides, aluminum stat housing these things would goo forever very seldom do i hear of anything like burning oil bottom end issues without major mistreatment. same with 5r do VB upgrades good TC maybe some beefing up as far as the rest, that would be a good setup too. sad that a trans or probably timing chain has killed many sohcs ii see in the JY.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about 90 minutes east of Pensacola/ 1hr west of Tallahassee. "Cold" here is about 30.
well then in the other sunshine state, i think you could pump thst out and do dual cooler big cooler etc

bro metal reinforced guides, aluminum stat housing these things would goo forever very seldom do i hear of anything like burning oil bottom end issues without major mistreatment. same with 5r do VB upgrades good TC maybe some beefing up as far as the rest, that would be a good setup too. sad that a trans or probably timing chain has killed many sohcs ii see in the JY.
Yep I'll pm you an idea

well then in the other sunshine state, i think you could pump thst out and do dual cooler big cooler etc
Doesn't the trans need the warmer below 32?

Doesn't the trans need the warmer below 32?
honestly im not sure. havent tried on my trans since during winter rin the mountains it gets way low so not too well versed on that. how often does it hit 30?

honestly im not sure. havent tried on my trans since during winter rin the mountains it gets way low so not too well versed on that. how often does it hit 30?
A couple times during the winter. BUT, if it's ready by winter, I MIGHT take it to Massachusetts to visit family, otherwise it'll be the 09 Civic

A couple times during the winter. BUT, if it's ready by winter, I MIGHT take it to Massachusetts to visit family, otherwise it'll be the 09 Civic
hmmm, maybe keep it in then, since im not too sure. in general my big trans cooler helps yesterday i5-grapevine at 90 something outside trans was a nice 175 up the hill hit 180 but quickly back to 175 and below

hmmm, maybe keep it in then, since im not too sure. in general my big trans cooler helps yesterday i5-grapevine at 90 something outside trans was a nice 175 up the hill hit 180 but quickly back to 175 and below
Suppose something like this was installed:
Amazon product ASIN B004XONNRQMaybe not that exact one, but it would allow the trans to maintain cool, but not too cold temps. What do you use to monitor your trans temp?

Here i see 15 to 20 during the winter

The 5R55E has a thermostat, the cooler won't circulate when the fluid is cold. Since you have 4R70W experience, that with a 302 would make a nice 2nd ride.

I'm thinking about going in a different direction. Make it drivable for now, as a second/backup/whatever. But source a 5.0 from a similar year (96-98) and a 4r70w, or a 5sp (more unique) and wiring, pcm, etc. I've seen the threads for the swaps. But it would be a bonding experience, tearing down the 5L and 4r70 with my 12yo step son and rebuilding them until they are ready.

I'm thinking about going in a different direction. Make it drivable for now, as a second/backup/whatever. But source a 5.0 from a similar year (96-98) and a 4r70w, or a 5sp (more unique) and wiring, pcm, etc. I've seen the threads for the swaps. But it would be a bonding experience, tearing down the 5L and 4r70 with my 12yo step son and rebuilding them until they are ready.
seems like a good idea, always on board for family projects haha 👍

If I go that route, should I keep EFI, or go carb?
dpeends, i like efi harder to setup but easier to keep good plus efi already in the pcm etc for the v8 donor

I will start looking for a donor soon I think. It's possible to Carb'd 302 and a manual. No ECM. Also, there's no places for at least 60 miles that do tunes to my knowledge.

I will start looking for a donor soon I think. It's possible to Carb'd 302 and a manual. No ECM. Also, there's no places for at least 60 miles that do tunes to my knowledge.
oh thats anothwr option.

I've recently acquired a Light Blue 1998 Sport 2wd, automatic, with the 4L OHV for $500. It's has well about 240k on the dash (still about 50k under my daily driver).

Since it's not my primary transportation, I have time to do what I need/want to with it. I worked on it a little bit for the previous owner. Plugs and wires, have less than 1000 miles on them.

I plan to keep the OHV, not swapping, unless I find a really good deal on a 302+trans. I also know that I will replace the fuel filter as I have no clue when or if it's been changed. I might clean the injectors (while removed, that that in tank crap), and will do pcv valve.

Mechanical issues that I know about:
1. Idle at over 1k, whistle from front of intake manifold (vacuum leak)
Should I just do the intake gaskets, or re-gasket the engine entirely?
2. Transmission shudder after about 45mph.
I haven't even looked at the transmission dipstick.
Low fluid can mess up the clutches and contaminate stuff, block passages in the valve body, etc, I know. Should I just do a filter change, maybe torque converter? Or should I just yank it and rebuild it?

Cosmetic issues: dent in passenger door. Roof or seal leak in cargo area. Driver seat motor and padding suck. Obviously, I'll fix the leak, and get the seat situated. Not sure if I care about the large dent in the door, it still works as it should. Considering on going to the JY to find a sunroof, where I'll probably get seats, unless I steal my father's out his mustang.

What do you think?
ohv is a good motor ,i have a sidelined 99 with 5 sp stick got 20mpg on 20m 1 way to work 55 mph . the fuel filters on the frame drivers side in front of rear wheel. check out scotty Kilmer you tube he recommends a good injector cleaner. if needed change fluids do not power flush p/s or transmissions be hesitant to flush slugged engine that high miles just change oil frequently. . my 2d leaked from the rear side window tried sealer inside fail. it really needs removal and gasket or factory type reseal. the s African safelight francjhise her made like itss a big deal he said they break etc i feel he just did not think it was profitable for him so whit i did 2 times year i carefully placed a 3/4 inch electrical tape between the window frame just covering to the Sheetmetal and my tk was dark blue with black frame so barely noticeable what goes out for several reasons is the pass antitheft system make sure you have 2 keys if so make a spare if chip fails in key can cost few hundred but some fix when you got good spare key but if pass fails call for locksmith with scanner unit first mots garages can find problem but then call smith and 2 bills 1 diag at mechanic 1 locksmith binn there on my 04 1 key the older pre front wheel drive imo were great trucks my lasted 19 yrs and fuel pump and clutch slave cyl failed and low cash sat too long so it a mechanic special or for parts now sw fl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back