Oozing with frustration | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oozing with frustration

Cory- for all you guys do to help, please somehow convey how much some of your dealers are uneducated, inept, and unresponsive. ...

You need to hit them in the wallet.

They send out surveys after the completion of a successful job that they know will be a positive survey. That is how they get paid extra money, and paid well. I am not 100% sure of the specifics but I do know that the surveys are very important to their bottom line. They do NOT send surveys out to people that have had problems because they know it will hurt them.

How can we get a survey when the results are less than stellar :eek: like they are in this case? Will the CS rep send it to us?

PS: I have to say after going through some really bad times with mine I am now finally enjoying my Explorer again. Finally it is all working properly....knock on wood. I never bothered with this rain thingie, thank goodness!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never bothered with this rain thingie, thank goodness!

I would definitely NOT recommend that anyone do it.

What did they do for the 2013's to fix this? I know its done factory. Is it something that can be purchased separately, then installed in a 2011?

What did they do for the 2013's to fix this? I know its done factory. Is it something that can be purchased separately, then installed in a 2011?

I imagine that it is a similar process, just easier to do when there is not an interior to mess up and the car is mostly just a shell. Probably handled by the same robot that put our tailgate on out of alignment, so who knows! :)

You have to be the unluckiest guy on the board. I have worked with this foam and it cures on contact with air, and does so pretty quickly, usually just minutes. They must have applied the foam in a vacuum chamber.

I have worked with this foam and it cures on contact with air, and does so pretty quickly, usually just minutes.

I have questions as to what kind of foam they actually used because when I was at my SA's office, I saw a can of DAP from homedepot sitting on his desk.

I don't know if it would work for this problem or not, but when I think of noise suppression, I think of this stuff.

It would require removing the entire headliner, but I don't think you'd have to cover every square inch.

I don't know if it would work for this problem or not, but when I think of noise suppression, I think of this stuff.

It would require removing the entire headliner, but I don't think you'd have to cover every square inch.

We're thinking on the same line. The first thing I thought is whay doesn't Ford use something like Dynamat instead of expanding foam? I used Peel & Seal (Sold at Lowes for use on roofing) which is like Dynamat & much cheaper. I used it on my 2002 Kia Sportage for the same reason as when hard rain hit it sounded like galf ball sized hail. It made a huge difference.

We're thinking on the same line. The first thing I thought is whay doesn't Ford use something like Dynamat instead of expanding foam? I used Peel & Seal (Sold at Lowes for use on roofing) which is like Dynamat & much cheaper..

That makes more sense to me!! :thumbsup:

Even a single patch in front up top would work. I have a moonroof so not too bad...

I have questions as to what kind of foam they actually used because when I was at my SA's office, I saw a can of DAP from homedepot sitting on his desk.

The tsb states it is bought locally (not a Ford product). I wouldnt be surprised, read the tsb and it gives a product #

I have to ask... Is the rain sound quieter at least?

It is much quieter for us who live in the rain belt.

One thing as well - if they've used THAT much foam - chances are that they may have buckled other components as well - look for swelling, warpage, or other damage. That foam can be dangerous if not used properly. You need to use the low expanding foam around doors and windows because the regular stuff expands with so much force that it can easily bow window and door jambs. Not sure if it would do anything to a sheet metal frame - but I would check just to be sure.

At this point, all of the problems I am having AFTER the TSB was performed are all as a result of the dealerships craftmanship. THEY need to fix THEIR mistakes. No other dealership is going to fix someone elses problems. Not like these anyway.......If I had the option to go elsewhere I certainly would, in a heart beat......

cnsheets - I would speak with a lawyer. There may be other options than continuing to have to deal with this nonsense. For example, your state's Lemon Law might apply, or you may have other legal recourse. Additionally, the lawyer may have some advice for you on protecting any rights you may have in the future so that you don't inadvertently close any options.

See e.g.: http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

Per the service manager, he said they reinstalled the a-pillars per Ford process. You can see both a-pillars are lifting at the top edge, my guess due to the foam expansion pushing them out but only the drivers side oozed out.

I thought I saw something on the a-pillar thread that someone stated that Ford had a second a-pillat fix, not sure if it includes injecting foam behind it into the cavity.....

and from what I read, the foam in a can (which is what I think they used) expands(reacts) due to humudity in the air and is not supposed to be used in confined spaces. If it was injected into the a-pillar, it might not have initially expanded because of the confined space and not enough exposure to humidity....so it sat uncured.....then all of a sudden this weekend, enough moisture got in a boom......over expansion......

just a guess........

They have the EX now, dropped it off an hour or so ago... Will see what happens. In the mean time, I get to enjoy a Nissan Versa again (rental)

Sorry but I get my info directly from the Engineers working on the Explorer program.

Thats where I found out there was a 2nd fix and it was not only air intrusion but a vacuum being created inside the A-Pillar

I stick to my original statement, TSB #2 A-Pillar repair program parts were two weeks max.

SGT1411, have any details what this #2 fix entails?

They have the EX now, dropped it off an hour or so ago... Will see what happens. In the mean time, I get to enjoy a Nissan Versa again (rental)

I hope the rental is at the dealer's expense...

...I am now finally enjoying my Explorer again. Finally it is all working properly...
I’m glad everything is going smoothly, gdecamp!

The tsb states it is bought locally (not a Ford product). I wouldnt be surprised, read the tsb and it gives a product #
It is much quieter for us who live in the rain belt.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to help. :)

...They have the EX now, dropped it off an hour or so ago... Will see what happens...
cnsheets,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress.

Cory

I have to ask... Is the rain sound quieter at least?

I'd take a lot of noise over that mess. :eek:

OP...I hope they take care of it. And thank you for the laugh. You are a good man if you didn't freak out seeing that. And, a Versa? For a long term rental I wouldn't accept that...a day or two, sure. But you can park that in the back of the explorer almost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's doesn't look like the correct foam used, sure hope it doesn't start to squeak. The wrong type of foam will expand then shrink just a small amount, when those areas rub together you will wish your a pillars were louder!

Back