Oozing with frustration | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oozing with frustration

Holy crap! Sure looks like someone didn't follow the TSB.

I had the roof noise TSB done and the dealer tech did it perfectly. A pillar TSB was done and it is fine, too.

I'd find a new dealer after this is resolved. Hope that happens without litigation, but of all the issues I've read about, this one is just pure negligence on the part of the dealer. Hope Ford steps in and helps you out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford regional rep said that the dealer would not have used any foam that wasn't approved by Ford, that the dealership would have contacted Ford tech for approval. He said that most of the foam all have the same ingredients.

SA told me again (told me this several times now) that the TSB does not state a product to use and the foam is just any type like that can be purchased at Homedepot or Lowes.

TSB SPECIFICALLY STATES FUSOR 121...... I printed a copy of the TSB and will present it to the SA......

Also, SA said that no one at the dealership is fessing up to having any responsibility to it....Both the SA and regional rep said that they don't understand how the foam would not have been fully cured almost instantly after being applied and that there is no way that it would start "oozing" a week later.

The Fusor foam is activated by a chemical reaction by mixing the "A" and "B" parts. This would cure in almost any environment..... The stuff from a can like what you get from Homedepot, reacts based on humidity.......If the foam was sprayed into the A-pillar cavity, it might have skinned over, but being in such a confined space, could have prevented it from fully expanding and curing due to lack of humidity....just as if it was still in the can. Its like taking it out of the factory can and putting it in another can.....I think this is what happened, then for some reason, the "skin" ruptured a week later, was exposed to enough humidity and triggered it to react and expand.....oozing out everywhere....I tired to explain this to the SA, and he just would not buy it, says there is no way it wasn't cured.

This is the stuff I believe that they used (SA has a can of it on his desk)

18230.jpg

Here is the tech bulletin on the stuff.....

http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00077005001.pdf

So the Ford CS REP is telling me that this stuff is approved by FORD??????

I don't buy it.....

Cory, any way to contact a Ford tech to find out if they "approve" of this product for use in automobiles

Ford regional rep said that the dealer would not have used any foam that wasn't approved by Ford, that the dealership would have contacted Ford tech for approval. He said that most of the foam all have the same ingredients.

SA told me again (told me this several times now) that the TSB does not state a product to use and the foam is just any type like that can be purchased at Homedepot or Lowes.

TSB SPECIFICALLY STATES FUSOR 121...... I printed a copy of the TSB and will present it to the SA......

Also, SA said that no one at the dealership is fessing up to having any responsibility to it
This looks like another case where the Service Advisor and the technician was not familiar with the TSB and therefore did not use the correct product.
As for the 'who dunit' part, surely the work order would have specified the name of the individual/technician who was assigned to work on your vehicle. Sounds very suspicious to me.

Peter

He said that most of the foam all have the same ingredients.

Also, SA said that no one at the dealership is fessing up to having any responsibility to it....Both the SA and regional rep said that they don't understand how the foam would not have been fully cured almost instantly after being applied and that there is no way that it would start "oozing" a week later.

They know nothing about the different types of foams available. That part is obvious.

The SA comments...are they saying "sorry, it wasn't us"? If so, STOP talking to them immediately. Wait to see what Cory comes up with. Document everything.

The SA said regardless, they are taking care of it. He said they ordered new A-pillars and when the come in, they will get everything cleaned up and new a-pillars installed.

All I'm asking is that they get this stuff taken care of once and for all and be done with it. Stop creating more problems due to carelessness......

Just let me enjoy my EX already!!!

Clarification....EX=Explorer.......because I really hate my EX (ex-wife) :D no enjoying that...

...I had the roof noise TSB done and the dealer tech did it perfectly. A pillar TSB was done and it is fine, too...
I’m glad the noise was taken care of for you, dco43054.

...Wait to see what Cory comes up with...
Thanks for the vote of confidence, uniquename. :)

The SA said regardless, they are taking care of it. He said they ordered new A-pillars and when the come in, they will get everything cleaned up and new a-pillars installed...
I really appreciate you keeping us in the loop, cnsheets. I made sure Mark will be calling today.

Cory

Yet another issue to consider is maintenance down the road. What if the wires for the overhead console need to be repaired or replaced? I've used that foam in home construction projects and it ain't easy to deal with when cured. Oh and safety!! How are the A-pillars going to perfrom should the vehicle be in a rollover accident? Or even a front end collision? All things tell me that you need a new one... Just my 2 cents. Get a lawyer.

-Kevin.

Back