Greetings! And help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greetings! And help!

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Hey guys! Thanks for letting me in and Merry Christmas!
I'm about to buy a 2018 Explorer XLT, 41k miles and a clean CarFax, showing all maintenance done on time. I've never been a ford person, don't know much about it. But after reading some posts here, I'm now terrified about the several issues I could encounter with this car. I love it!, to me, it has one of the most beautiful bodies and size among a lot of brands. I just would love if someone could share their thoughts about the performance, reliability of this car and if it'll be worthy of the $23k in the long run. Sorry for any typos. English is not.my first language.
Best!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to buy a 2018 Explorer XLT, 41k miles and a clean CarFax, showing all maintenance done on time. I've never been a ford person, don't know much about it. But after reading some posts here, I'm now terrified about the several issues I could encounter with this car. I love it!, to me, it has one of the most beautiful bodies and size among a lot of brands. I just would love if someone could share their thoughts about the performance, reliability of this car and if it'll be worthy of the $23k in the long run. Sorry for any typos. English is not.my first language.
Best!
Welcome, Merry Christmas, you're in the right place to find out about your new ride! 23 K sounds like a very good deal! Best wishes.

Welcome to forum, as Joney said, definitely find all the help ya need on here!

Best!
23k is a steal! Not many problems that you should be concerned about, as long as all the maintenence record are there go for it!

Best!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you purchasing from a Ford dealer? If so, ask for a copy of the OASIS report which will show what warranty work was done on the vehicle.
What are your major concerns? As mentioned before, the internal water pump and PTU seem to be the main concerns. If I were you, I would definitely purchase a Ford ESP.
As for English not being your first language, I have to admit that your post is better than many others I've read here.:)

Peter

We have a '17 XLT 4x4 with the Sport Appearance package and 3.5 engine. Ours is full loaded for an XLT, including moonroof, technology package, rear bucket seats with console, etc. We have about 80k on ours and it my wife's daily driver. So far the only repair has been a front wheel bearing. Regular maintenance is the key. Also, if you are concerned about the water pump potential failure negotiate an extended warranty. I normally shun those, but I did purchase one when we bought ours in 2020 with around 40k miles on it. Very pleased with the performance of our Explorer. It is not rated "the best" in any particular category, but it is a nice overall combo that works very well for our needs. I agree with others, if this is a dealer selling it ask for the warranty claim info, check the Carfax, which may also show some maintenance info, and enjoy your Explorer!

Best!
That's a steel of a deal if it has a clean title and everything.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you purchasing from a Ford dealer? If so, ask for a copy of the OASIS report which will show what warranty work was done on the vehicle.
What are your major concerns? As mentioned before, the internal water pump and PTU seem to be the main concerns. If I were you, I would definitely purchase a Ford ESP.
As for English not being your first language, I have to admit that your post is better than many others I've read here.:)

Peter
Thanks Peter. I'll keep in mind about the Oasis report.

We have a '17 XLT 4x4 with the Sport Appearance package and 3.5 engine. Ours is full loaded for an XLT, including moonroof, technology package, rear bucket seats with console, etc. We have about 80k on ours and it my wife's daily driver. So far the only repair has been a front wheel bearing. Regular maintenance is the key. Also, if you are concerned about the water pump potential failure negotiate an extended warranty. I normally shun those, but I did purchase one when we bought ours in 2020 with around 40k miles on it. Very pleased with the performance of our Explorer. It is not rated "the best" in any particular category, but it is a nice overall combo that works very well for our needs. I agree with others, if this is a dealer selling it ask for the warranty claim info, check the Carfax, which may also show some maintenance info, and enjoy your Explorer!
Thanks gtyates. The carfax report looks pretty nice and clean. The owners (2) seemed to care about regular maintenances. I'm just nervous because this is going to be my first financed vehicle and even if I'm in love with this model, I can't stop thinking about that water pump being a problem that seems show up no matter what. Would I be able to noticed it on time? What are the normal symptoms of that?

I’d consider the water pump a wear item like tires and brakes on these. If you keep it long enough, you’ll need to replace it, or the motor when it fails. The PTU is also kinda in the same boat. If you buy one of these, I’d plan for at least one major multi-thousand dollar repairs.

Back