Oozing with frustration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oozing with frustration

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
Literally....

After getting the roof rain noise TSB completed, the dealer managed to get foam on the headliner and various other interior areas.

Long story short, they have already replaced the following:

1. Headliner
2. Windshield (had to remove windshield and A-pillar obliques to get headliner in)(rear hatch too narrow)
3. Passenger seat cover (leather)
4. Center console (cup holder, shifter area including media hub)

and they still have to replace (waiting on parts to come in)

5. Center cluster (area with vents, MFt screen, touch controls for AC/Radio)
6. Shifter knob
7. Interior plastic drivers side A-pillar moulding
8. Drivers side visor

So after 10 days (last Thursday evening) I picked it up with the first 4 items done. (they also replaced the APIM module). knowing I had to go back for the remaining items after parts come in.... .

On friday (1 week later after picking it up), I go out to the car and notice the first picture......expanding foam oozing out of the top area (looks like from under the rubber on the a-pillar) at the corner of the windshield......

Took it straight to the dealer....I asked the SA if they put expanding foam behind the a-pillars in addition to the rain noise TSB, he said it was possible but not sure......Then I showed him my EX........they "cleaned" it off and told me to come in Monday so their windshield guy could look at it.....

Well over the weekend..... it kept oozing and oozing.......just got worse and started oozing father down from under the A-pillar.....

As parts of it hardened, i kept breaking it off, and it kept oozing.....

So, did they put expanding foam under the A-pillar? or is this coming from under the headliner when they did the rain noise TSB? If it is, then that means I have a serious leak in the windshield when it was replaced that would be allowing the foam to get from the interior of the car to under the exterior of the car under the a-pillar......

Who really knows till they tear into it.......Also noticed on the passenger side when they replaced the windshield and reattached the a-pillar that they glued down part of the top rubber to the windshield......

Atleast I can look at the last "ooze" and chuckle a bit..... it kinda looks like "Odie" from Garfield........

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So what model years does this TSB apply to? Does it include 2013's? Is it all of them or just a certain range of VINs that someone goofed and didn't put in some noise suppression material before the headliner was installed? Does the headliner have to come out for this fix to be done? If it does, I think there has got to be better materials to use for this... probably more expensive material, but better, cleaner. I'm thinking about the stuff guys put behind their door panels to minimize vibration from hi-power car audio systems... I can't think of the name but have seen it in Crutchfield catalogs before.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I found the list of TSBs and see the build dates that this issue applies to...

That is expanding foam you can buy from the hardwear store, looks like anyway. This foam is available in high expansion and low expansion. Low expansion actually expands quite a bit. I wouldn't be convinced it would make much difference in sound even of installed correctly. Thats to bad, when have mine done I'll ask what type of foam they're using, then decide if I really want it done.

For whats its worth one of those pictures looks like a reindeer standing on its hind legs? :)

That is unbelievable, someone did not follow the TSB instructions. I can't imagine how much they sprayed to have the foam keep forcing its way out. I once sprayed too much around my garage door and it was very difficult to get cleaned up. Make sure they do a through job fixing the mistake. Even if the dealer is willing to correct it, this seems to be a perfect situation for Cory's assistance.

I noticed you have a little bird poop on your windshield. ;)

Oh yeah, WTH is up with the foam stalagmites?

Like the previous posts says.......they didn't follow the TSB directions at all.

I hope you will allow Cory to get involved, that is brutal.

Since Im in California a lot can you ID the Dealership so none of us ever go there for service.

This is disgusting. Your dealership is one of the worst I've heard about. I would consult a lawyer to see if you could get everything fixed at a different dealership and then send the bill to your current one. At some point, enough is enough. How many times are you supposed to let them screw up more of your car?

I would consult Cory as well, however there is only so much that Cory can do. He can't fix the fact that your dealership employs morons for mechanics.

Wow...i feel fortunate that my dealer didn't spill a drop when they did the tsb.

...On friday (1 week later after picking it up), I go out to the car and notice the first picture......expanding foam oozing out of the top area (looks like from under the rubber on the a-pillar) at the corner of the windshield...
I sent you a follow-up PM, cnsheets; please see you inbox for the details.

...Even if the dealer is willing to correct it, this seems to be a perfect situation for Cory's assistance.
...I hope you will allow Cory to get involved, that is brutal...
I would consult Cory as well...
onaropus, Sgt1411, & jrmexplorer,

I really appreciate the recommendation.

Cory

wow that is crazy, they need to take more pride in their work and not jus another sale.....WTF....

Unbelievable.

Cory- for all you guys do to help, please somehow convey how much some of your dealers are uneducated, inept, and unresponsive. I know that there are always multiple sides to a story, but honestly- your dealer network has some incredibly inept dealers that are slowly trying to kill your product, reputation, and brand. I'm sure that it is part of the dealers responsibility to know what to do, but Ford has to understand the depth of disorganization that it out there- honestly...

I noticed you have a little bird poop on your windshield. ;)

Geez, thanks, leave it to you Vince to point that one out.....

This picture of the windshield is just for you Vince..... I did not park under any trees or anything. I'm parked out in the open.....just for some reason, my EX was the target for the day...... This was just before I started oozing....

IMG_2024.jpg

LOL, the birds seem quite fond of my wife's car also.

At this point, all of the problems I am having AFTER the TSB was performed are all as a result of the dealerships craftmanship. THEY need to fix THEIR mistakes. No other dealership is going to fix someone elses problems. Not like these anyway.......If I had the option to go elsewhere I certainly would, in a heart beat......

This seems like a nightmare that will never end..... I'm so far gone at this point that I just have to laugh at it all in order to keep my sanity....

Its really hard to enjoy my EX when every time i get into it, all I can think about and see is everything that has been ruined and replaced.....Its no where close to the vehicle I purchased and drove off the lot, its just not the same......

I have held off on naming this dealership out of fear that if I do, I'll never get this stuff resolved.......but at some point this has to end......

Yes Cory has sent out and contacted the regional CS rep for me on several occasions, and I have spoken to them on several occasions......their promise to me is to see that this gets taken care of. They contact the dealership and get status, they call me back, I complain a bit, things get done, pick up vehicle, find things are not done properly and we start the cycle all over.......

LOL, the birds seem quite fond of my wife's car also.

That was all in one afternoon, and I did not take a picture of the sides or top of the vehicle.....

Parked it that morning, completely clean, came out of work 5 hours later and it was covered........

Between the birds and the dealership, my EX is DOOMED, I'm not meant to have this EX or to enjoy it.......

Everything will work out I am sure, and when it does, it will be that much sweeter of a ride. (But why does it have to be so darned hard sometimes?)

...Cory- for all you guys do to help...
Thanks for the feedback, Joe Dirt.

...Yes Cory has sent out and contacted the regional CS rep for me on several occasions, and I have spoken to them on several occasions...
cnsheets,

Mark is on the case as we type.

Everything will work out I am sure, and when it does, it will be that much sweeter of a ride...
I’m with you, VinceL; now if we could just get birds to stop liking it so much… ;)

Cory

Geez, thanks, leave it to you Vince to point that one out.....

This picture of the windshield is just for you Vince..... I did not park under any trees or anything. I'm parked out in the open.....just for some reason, my EX was the target for the day...... This was just before I started oozing....

IMG_2024.jpg
Well look at the bright side. You're lucky you didn't order a black Ex.
I sure hope that you get this problem (TSB) all cleared up to yout total satisfaction.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well look at the bright side. You're lucky you didn't order a black Ex.

True, true. I traded a Black Expedition for the EX. I told myself I wouldn't do black again. Just too much work to keep it looking pristine.

Back