Trans/transfer case gasket and crank pilot bushing help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans/transfer case gasket and crank pilot bushing help needed

Berepair

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Ranger 92,94 Ex 2&4wd
Hi all,

Having the trans rebuilt by a good local trans shop.
Can't find a new gasket for the trans to xfer case flange, or a pilot bushing for the torque converter.
Gasket is torn and don't want to use rtv, bushing is cracked and needs new.
Dealer, Rock auto, Advance, Oreillys... are not coming up with the correct gasket and NO luck on the bushing.
I could, worst case, make a new gasket if there is none available. I'd rather just buy one.
Trans shop suggested going to the dealer (that's what they'd do) for the bushing when I asked them where to get one.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

torque converter pilot bushing???

Typically a clutch setup uses a pilot bearing
Maybe you are talking about a front pump seal, this would be part of the transmission rebuild
Torque converter bolts to flexplate and the flexplate bolts to the engine crank with a metal spacer and 6 bolts

here is the 5 bolt t case gasket

felpro 55484

torque converter pilot bushing???

Typically a clutch setup uses a pilot bearing
Maybe you are talking about a front pump seal, this would be part of the transmission rebuild
Torque converter bolts to flexplate and the flexplate bolts to the engine crank with a metal spacer and 6 bolts

here is the 5 bolt t case gasket

felpro 55484
Thanks for the reply.

My mistake, I had not removed the flexplate when I posted the questions/asks.
I do need the spacer as there is a chip in the center which centers the flexplate and torque converter.

1685379678521.png

The Felpro gasket lists an OD of 8" and appears to be for a 6 bolt flange.
This is the Mahle B33590 gasket I had Oreilleys get for me (pretty sure it is the same as the Felpro (it has the same ID/OD specs as the Felpro).
My 5 bolt circle is a larger diameter.
This Explorer is stock and probably first time trans is out. 67,000 miles.
It does have the electric shift xfer case, if that means anything.

1685379066550.png
1685379141325.png

Any other thoughts??
Thanks,
Bruce

@Turdle has mailed me the adapter (thank you).
I made a xfer case gasket yesterday. Today when I picked up the rebuilt unit, the trans shop had a new one for me. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the help guys.

Bruce

Back