11 month old rebuilt starter died: Considering just going brand new this time, worth it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

11 month old rebuilt starter died: Considering just going brand new this time, worth it?

Post number 33 has been selected as best answered.

I didnt, because I installed it on a replacement motor after dropping it into the truck (engine swap). So that’s the only starter I’ve known on this particular SOHC motor.

They’re good starters though.

Ok thanks. Can I ask if the casing on yours is gold or silver? I just recieved the one from RA today and I opened it and the casing on the starter is silver and the one I installed yesterday is gold. But the GM#, the part number match exact. The box it came in was a different color box from AC Delco. But since it has the exact same part number, then it should be the same product but weird how this one is silver.

Wonder if I can still return this to the local store I got it at. Really hope. I'll just say that's the one that came in the box. But I'm freaking out now because what if they open the box and ask why this one is silver and not gold?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shrug your shoulders and say ‘I dunno, that’s what y’all gave me’

That truck is in an airport parking garage 400mi away. I don’t think I have a photo on my phone, but I’ll look.

Honesty is the best policy. Why lie when you could keep the spare starter? If it's not the rebuilt one that is the problem, but some thing else (however unlikely) ate the first one both times, you could find yourself needing it down the line any way.

Besides that... rebuilding a starter never would have crossed my mind. My '99 chewed up a starter around 160k-ish and I figured a new one should outlast the truck. Buy once, cry once. If you can't afford $300 once, why pay $100 three times on inferior products and tow bills?

I cannot lie to my parts store dudes I cannot put a False part in a box and pretend it was the one they sold me… just can’t do it. Good karma is what trucks run on!

I eat a lot of parts and money this way, I get stuck with parts I may never use and I spend money I can never get back, but the good karma is worth every penny, it will come back to you ten fold

Honesty is the best policy. Why lie when you could keep the spare starter? If it's not the rebuilt one that is the problem, but some thing else (however unlikely) ate the first one both times, you could find yourself needing it down the line any way.

Besides that... rebuilding a starter never would have crossed my mind. My '99 chewed up a starter around 160k-ish and I figured a new one should outlast the truck. Buy once, cry once. If you can't afford $300 once, why pay $100 three times on inferior products and tow bills?

Is it useful thought to keep a spare starter on hand though? These rarely go (at least should) go out. I called AC delco in the US and confirmed with them that this specific part only comes in gold color right on the starter. They said the one RA sold me is likely a counterfeit. Oh super! So now how do I get my money back from them. This is what I wanted to completely avoid. Good luck getting refunds on RA products.

They gave me an email address to their counterfeit department and said to email them pics and they will confirm 100% if the starter RA sold me is real or not.

You shrug your shoulders and say ‘I dunno, that’s what y’all gave me’

That truck is in an airport parking garage 400mi away. I don’t think I have a photo on my phone, but I’ll look.
Thanks. Yours is likely silver too since you bought from RA. According to ACdelco it’s a clone and not geniene

I cannot lie to my parts store dudes I cannot put a False part in a box and pretend it was the one they sold me… just can’t do it. Good karma is what trucks run on!

I eat a lot of parts and money this way, I get stuck with parts I may never use and I spend money I can never get back, but the good karma is worth every penny, it will come back to you ten fold

I can’t do it either especially if it’s true that the part RA carries and sold me (though labelled with the same part number) is a fake. Now I have to ship the RA one back and I eat $40CAD for shipping costs. Just makes this repair even more expensive. 🤨

Rock auto does not sell fakes
However they will put a part in the box that “meets the same standards” as what you purchased if the purchased part is no longer available… which is not cool sometimes! I pay for a $60 part they send me a $40 part I was not happy and returned it
Just contact rockauto and find out what brand of part they sent in the box
Ac delco puts their names on lots of different parts all of them are good

having a spare is nice. keep the old 300k one just in case, but in many cases, its so cumbersome on the 4wd one to get to on the side of the road, may as well have it towed haha. or ya know the old hammer trick

Okay I just emailed AC Delco’s brand protection department that I was suggested to me with pics of the part from RA. If they confirm its not a genuine part then I will ship this one back to RA and eat the $42 cost for shipping (though they should be reimbursing me everything for selling me a fake part).

If AC Delco confirms that the part is genuine then i will put it back in the local parts store box and return it to the store. Because I now have the email from them to confirm that it’s genuine to show them.

Rock auto does not sell fakes
However they will put a part in the box that “meets the same standards” as what you purchased if the purchased part is no longer available… which is not cool sometimes! I pay for a $60 part they send me a $40 part I was not happy and returned it
Just contact rockauto and find out what brand of part they sent in the box
Ac delco puts their names on lots of different parts all of them are good

Good to know RA doesnt sell fakes. I hope the AC delco rep isn’t just spewing me lies. Before she tried telling me that RA sells counterfeit products. She suggested I email their brand protection department with pictures and I just did. I hope I get a completely honest answer back from them.

RA sent me a AC Delco part, even came in a AC Delco box. Just need to confirm with their brand protection department that it’s genuine so if I return it to my local store, I don’t get any raised eyebrows and I have something to back me up.

Here's pics of the starter from RA. When I look online using this part number, I even see ones that are black in color. Hmm

1000006973.jpg

Compress_20230921_081006_6120.jpg
Compress_20230921_081005_5992.jpg

You ordered a starter, then bought one locally. The return shipping cost is what it takes to send one back, then do the right thing and send it back. You agreed to the terms of purchase when you bought the parts, you don't get to change them because it will cost you money. You are the one that bought two starters. What you are discussing is illegal. You are talking about committing fraud on a open public forum. Commonplace or not, it's still fraud. Losses due to fraud and theft have to be absorbed by the consumer in higher priced goods. It's $40, do the right thing.

You ordered a starter, then bought one locally. The return shipping cost is what it takes to send one back, then do the right thing and send it back. You agreed to the terms of purchase when you bought the parts, you don't get to change them because it will cost you money. You are the one that bought two starters. What you are discussing is illegal. You are talking about committing fraud on a open public forum. Commonplace or not, it's still fraud. Losses due to fraud and theft have to be absorbed by the consumer in higher priced goods. It's $40, do the right thing.

If this is indeed the exact same product that I received from RA then it’s perfectly fine to return it at my local store. I’m just waiting for hear back from AC Delco first.

If this is indeed the exact same product that I received from RA then it’s perfectly fine to return it at my local store. I’m just waiting for hear back from AC Delco first.
It's not the same product. The part they sold you is bolted to your Explorer. Why should they have to eat the cost of accepting a return they never sold you?

I wonder how much of these type shenanigans go on in the parts world? "I replaced fuel pump last week now no start".

Thanks. Yours is likely silver too since you bought from RA. According to ACdelco it’s a clone and not geniene
I installed mine 8 years ago. It’s got 135k of starts so if it’s a counterfeit, the Chinese are making good starters

I'm debating if the new one from Rock auto is worth sending back if I'm going to lose $45 on shipping. or maybe just keep it in the truck as a backup?

Some day someone near you will need it that day. I'd list it on Craigslist and marketplace with your needed price, and keep it as a spare while the listing rides at asking price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some day someone near you will need it that day. I'd list it on Craigslist and marketplace with your needed price, and keep it as a spare while the listing rides at asking price.

Unfortunately I Don't see very many explorers of this gen on the roads here. Almost never. I like the idea of having a backup starter on hand. But I may just ship this one back to Rock auto and eat the $45 shipping costs since these AC Delco are so solid and I'm expecting it to work without issues for a long time.

Back