5.0 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap

hey whats up every one. i have some questions for the experts. i want to do a 5.0 swap but i know im gonna have trouble affording it. whould it be easier to but a v8 explorer and just swap over that way i have a 93 and was thinking of getting a wrecked 96 v8 and just swapping over. also im i gonna need a new rear end? any help would be great. thanks ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ChopinOn22s said:
Don't waste your time, buy a V8 explorer

i would but i put alot of work in to my x and cant really aford another car. l like the first gens more than the second gens so i want to keep the body style. thanks

Swapping into a first gen is hard work. It would be so much easier in a second gen, due to the fact that the all 5.o explorers are obdII and all first gens are OBDI. Your best bet would probably be a pre 93 Mustang 5.0. Then get an Explorer tranny, adapter to a t case- most easily done is probably the manual BW1354. You will need the V8 driveshaft for the front, and probably the rear. I just noticed you are 2wd. Are you going to stay 2wd? The axles are the same from the V8 to the V6. You will need a set of headers also, and the rest of the exhaust for that matter.

Ummmm no you dont need a new rear axle, they are the same aside from the disc brakes.

The 96-97 5.0L V8 will go into your 93 without too much problem, you dont need headers, or adapters, or anything like that, what you do need is the complete donor from radiator to driveshaft and you will need to do the wiring....

I am not sure where the other info in this thread comes from, but the easiest and cheapest way to get a 5.0L into your 93 is to get everyhting you need from a donor 5.0L explorer, 97 is a good year to use :)

I will be doing this into my BII shortly.......

What about the OBDI to OBDII swap? I was under the impression that the swap was pretty involved.

thank you so much for the help. now if i can only find a worthy donor my friends dad owns a engine shop so the stuff i cant do he said hed help me out with. ohh and im staying 2wd im doing a street truck. my girl is gonna bag it for me i cant wait.

It is sure nice to have that extra power of the 5.0. I can't wait till I get the $ to do a swap.

my93x said:
my girl is gonna bag it for me i cant wait.

Did I read that right? If so, you are one lucky man :)

Did I read that right? If so, you are one lucky man :)[/QUOTE]

yup. u did she is great. im still looking for i beams though for the drop i know this is a little off topic but will ranger i beams work for an explorer and has any one used the brackets as suicidedoors.com for the ranger in their x?

Mbrooks, Why does it matter? The new engine comes with the computer and harness to control everything conputer and trans related. There are about 12 wires that interface with the truck, tachometer, BOO, CEL, coolant temp, etc etc...
The wiring for the EFI 5.0L conversion is easier then the wiring from a 89 2.9L to a 93 4.0L......

Back