Other than Comp cams whats out there? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Other than Comp cams whats out there?

MustangShane

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4dr XLT 4x4.
I've been looking for a replacement cam and so far only Comp cams has one at about $350. Now that seems a bit pricey. So does anyone else know of a company I can turn to for a higher performance cam? I searched the forums and came up with about 10 pounds of crap. Mostly it was for 302's (hey great motor but I'm not doing a swap) So I need something for my little 4.0L OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really. Now that I might be able to justify more. I was looking at the 422. Now how could they sell them for less than on the Comp cams website? What a rip. Thank you Jefe.

Does anyone else have the 422 cam currently in their truck? Just curious how much better it performs.

Just ordered it. Hope its a good cam. Of course from Comp cams I'm sure it is.

you are gonna need longer pushrods to run that cam. It is a small base circle cam so you will need pushrods that are 5.55o inches long. You will also have to have the the vlave pockets machined to fit the double springs and have the valve guide cut down to clear the new retainers.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12464

Ok well from all the info on the site it says it works with all stock components. I just installed the cam yesterday. So to find this out now is par for the course. Oh well. I can't say anything but good things about Summit. I ordered the cam Friday after 5pm. It was on my door step saturday afternoon with their free UPS ground shipping. So kudos to them. Now its on to the next problem. Getting the heads re-machined for all this other crap.

You do have a 5 speed right?

No, and after some thought and an unwillingness to kick out all that money for more headwork and what not. I'm going with the 410 cam. I still think the 422 would work well with the automatic. Just maybe bumping it up to a little higher stall converter. Another expence I dont want.

MustangShane said:
Ok well from all the info on the site it says it works with all stock components. I just installed the cam yesterday. So to find this out now is par for the course. Oh well. I can't say anything but good things about Summit. I ordered the cam Friday after 5pm. It was on my door step saturday afternoon with their free UPS ground shipping. So kudos to them. Now its on to the next problem. Getting the heads re-machined for all this other crap.

Just curious if you have installed the longer pushrods aor not? I am getting ready to order mine from Delta cams(75 Bucks). Everyone seems to think that the 5.550 length is correct for the 410. I am trying to verify that now. I have been running the stock rods for over a year now and the motor is starting to tick a bit more now.

Josh, do you feel the cam made a significant difference for you?

A little but not what I was hoping for. But that maybe due to the fact that I never replaced the pushrods with longer ones. I will get the pushrods this next week money permitting. I just want to be absolutely sure about the length. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

5.550 is the correct pushrod length for the 410 as long as you are using stock rocker arms.

if you get the DeltaCam rockers, get your pushrods in a 5.525 length.

I have a 422 and I love it....it lets the 4.0 pull hard all the way up to 5000rpm which is exactly what it needs.

MaximumViolence said:
I have a 422 and I love it....it lets the 4.0 pull hard all the way up to 5000rpm which is exactly what it needs.

No that supercharger lets you pull all the way to 5000 RPMS. :p I wish I could get that Eaton M-62 I have sitting in the garage on mine :(

No that supercharger lets you pull all the way to 5000 RPMS.

Hehe yes it does help! But honestly, when I first put on ported heads, headers, and cam, I didn't have the supercharger installed and I was amazed at how freely the engine would rev and pull up to redline. Getting up to 85-90 MPH was a LOT easier than it was previously.

Same thing with not using the right length pushrod. If you don't have that right, the cam won't be able to lift the valves enough to give you that airflow advantage, all you'll get is a change in valve opening duration....might help a little but not much.

awwww...drooooll... i want.

Maximum, what brand rings did you use? ford? im curious about sealed power, when i rebuild (with comp cam).

I wonder if the 422 cam will pass Charlotte emissions... if not, gastonia will pass it hehe.

What length pushrods did you use with the delta cams rocker arms, for the 422? i have a set of delta cam arms in the garage, i was gonna use the stock cam, but i dont see any point in that anymore. hehe.

I think he said 5.525. I have been talking with Delta about getting some made. He told me approximately 75.00 and would take about 2 days to get. They dont do it in house. As soon as I sell my trailer, I will probably get the whole kit.

When you said kit, did you mean delta cams kit with their rocker arms, custom length rods, and comp cam? Im curious because comp cams advertises a kit with their cam, their timing set, a set of their lifters, valve springs and retainers. I wouldnt mind all that. Although, i cant find it now! haha

410 Cam pushrod Length
- 5.550 = Stock rocker amrs
- 5.525 = Delta cam rocker arms

422 Cam pushrod Length?
- 5.550 = Stock rocker amrs
- 5.525 = Delta cam rocker arms

MaximumViolence said:
The base circle of the 410 and 422 cams is the same. The only difference between them is the valve lift on the intake side, and the duration for intake/exhaust.

a chart like this will definatly help people in the future, this topic is kinda spotty when you search on it.

I called them(Comp Cams) Friday. I asked what length they recomend and there answer was every engine is different and recomended that get an adjustable pushrod and measure this and check that and set this. Sounds to me that someone doesnt feel like working. If every motor is different then we would all have different measurements. As for the kit, I e-mailed Delta Cams on Thursday about the kit which from what I understand is the rockerarms, shaft and pushrods. I dont know if that is stock length or custom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahah, but it ain't about work, its about the $$$ man! But coming from a stock motor, (thats never been torn into), and thats running before its rebuilt; wouldn't there be a common push-rod length? I guess i gotta get the cam to find out :D

But yeah, the kit from Delta cams comes stock length rods and their rocker arms. There is something special about their rocker arms, which I'm not sure of (some kind of heat treating maybe?) Comp cams has kits that comes with a timing set, lifters, cam, springs and retainers, but I'm not sure if they offer it for our motors.

The main thing i wanna know is if the 410 cam is going to be enough for me... hehe, i might move .5 miles west (from where i am now) to legally have it.

Back