How to replace your malfunctioning 05 explorer air temp sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace your malfunctioning 05 explorer air temp sensor

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
How to replace the malfunctioning air temp sensor in a 2005 Ford Explorer V6

Tools / stuff:
The replacement part
Phillips Head screwdriver
needle nose pliers
small flat head screwdriver
some lightbulb grease

Time: Fifteen Minutes
Effort: Slightly more than breathing
Complexity: Bad Simple

Why?

Two reasons. First, it's stupid to pay for the use of an external temperature readout and it not be anywhere near right. Second, and don't quote me on this (I'm on vacation far, far away from both that car and the service DVD), the temp sensor is tied into the PCM/ECM, and uses outdoor temp in some calculations.

What do it do?

Very simply, it measures the air temp that is preparing to enter the front of the engine radiator.

How’d you do it, Shawn??

First, look at my other posts if you don't have a great deal of experience doing stuff. They will give you some thoughts on what you need that's not listed here, and how fast things can go south on you trying to do something basic.

Next, open the hood.

Look for these nylon screw-type attachments:

2011-08-07_16-20-07_117.jpg

They sorta unscrew. What I wind up doing is taking a small flat screwdriver, and gently pushing it between the screw head, and the screw, and while prying up, start unscrewing it. Resist the urge to just yank them (but if you do, Auto Zone sells replacements.)

When you get them loose, gently rock your grille forward, up and out.

Look to the left of the radiator. You should see the sensor:

2011-08-07_16-29-05_345.jpg

poking out.

Notice the plug-type doololly holding the skirt in place? (it's not in the picture, but it is above and to the left of the louvers.

I just take pliers and pull those loose (they also are replaceable).

Now, for some reason, I deleted this picture. You woulda saw the sensor stuck to the metal crossmember by a little attachment piece, that I also yanked free.

Using the small screwdriver again, gently bend the ears of the plug and pull it loose. Put some silicone grease (not caulk) in the socket, if it doesn't need cleaning. Push the new sensor on, push it back onto the bulkhead, and button everything up!

Now, when its' 95 degrees out, I'll get the correct reading!!! lol:D

Back