diesel engine swap

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Okay folks. When it comes to engine swaps, a lot of people (like noobs) start out asking "can a 302 be put in" etc. Well folks, with over 1000 posts, lets see if this noob is any good.

Once not too long ago in another post, a 4 cylinder Power Stroke was mentioned. Available about everywhere but the United States.

I researched this farther on the UKs Ford website. It's used Rangers (looks quite a bit different than the American Ranger). Europe seems to like diesel engines and manual transmissions more than we do as a whole. It's called a Duratorq 2.5L diesel, SOHC, turbocharged, and with intercooler. Translated, it makes about 107 HP and 196 pound/feet o' torque. This engine seems to be pretty powerful, considering it's used in overseas Rangers (available with 4 real doors so it's like a Sport Trac). This is the ONLY engine they've got available. No 2.3, 3.0, or beloved 4.0L. There's a choice between this diesel engine, and a slightly less powerful one of the same size.

Punchline: the 4.0L in my '92 is consuming oil pretty bad. No power loss or smoke, but we're talking 1/3 quart a day, even with a recent oil change and about 50 miles each day. It's not going to go on forever. So, eventually (I don't know when), why not have one of these diesels shipped in?

I don't demend a brand new long block or anything. Diesels last forever anyway. Just as long as it has somewhat low miles, probably from a wreck. My grand idea is to have one shipped in. One gentleman in the post I mentioned said that this engine will bolt up to an M5OD, my tranny of choice. Is this true? I suppose I could talk to the service department of an English Ford dealer and just ask.

It seems the "closest" place to get one would be from the United Kingdom. Cananda and Mexico have plain o' Rangers. The good things about this swap are that I have a 4x2 and a manual transmission, so there's not really any electronics involved except for the engine. Fuel delivery would have to be dealt with, but that wouldn't be too difficult and I could fix my gas gauge at the same time!

A turbo diesel Explorer would be badazz :thumbsup:

So folks, what do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there is alot more to it then that :) Emissions?
I would love to see this come true, but last time we looked into it costs were in the $7K up range just to get started.....

Do it!!!!!!
Edit: Have you figure out how much more this weighs than the 4.0?

F emissions! I'm in Michigan. The car capital of the world. We ain't got time to mess with emission tests. I forgot to mention that part.

$7000 maybe for a brand new long block, from a dealer with a boat payment due. I seriously believe that it wouldn't be a ton of money to get one salvage. I would call up a salvage dealer in England and tell them what I want. After we get a price settled, then I'll tell them where its got to go :D .

With import stuff you always need to deal with the right people. Like a Japanese remote control airsoft tank I wanted from Dicks sporting goods here is lioke $150, but on ebay, the same exact thing is $40.

Do it. Do a writeup also, this will be good.

If you go through with this, I think that it would be pretty sweet. :)

Thanks for the support. The only limiting factor is my income, being a 17 y/o junior high school student. I'm going to check into about how much this will cost and go from there. I work for the family business sometimes. We're plumbers by trade and I'm the backhoe operator when we have to replace a sewer line, install a clean out, etc. And recently, I'm probably the youngest dude in Michigan to be county certified to install alternative septic systems (those goofy above ground ones)

I'm not a moocher, but my parents can contribute some. We're a car loving family and I'm putting a big chunk of money into a worthy project. My dad would give financial help if I was doing a 4.0L. I plan on doing most the work myself. Then my M5ODs overdrive is bad, which is a big problem because i commute to school on the freeway. So that needs to be dealt with first.

Give me a summer and I'll get the funding.

And yes, I will make an extensive writeup.

If you do this, you will be my hero

My '92 XL has like NO rust and is not usually driven in winter, and stored indoors. It's a worthy donor. I only drive it in the winter when the roads aren't wet and wash it often.

sorry for the newb question, but why go diesel? what makes it different than a regular engine besides it uses diesel fuel?

It'll be unique. I plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time too. Someone posted a link about an Explorer with a Cummins diesel long ago, but who knows where that is.

It's not why I want to do it, but the typical 4.0L OHV gets like 15 mpg. This engine will get like 35-40. :D . Moving a 4 door Explorer.

Diesels also get way good gas mileage, develope torque (lots of it) down low in the RPM range, easy to modify (most) and sound cool. my PSD get's about 17 mpg and with some mods it'll get around 20. Not bad for a 7k lbs truck. f14crazy keep in mind while maybe you can get a long block overseas, shipping and taxes will be ALOT. Not to mention I bet it'll be slower than your current 4.0

It seems to develop a little less power and torque than the 4.0 OHV but I have 3.23 gearing anyway. If I swapped to 3.73 at the same time I'd probably be fine. I don't tow a lot or go offroading so I think it'll work out. Shipping will be bad though and I won't deny that one.

its a turbo diesel right? NO reason why it has to make such low HP numbers for long.....

Yup it's a turbo diesel. Turn up the injectors

F14CRAZY said:
Someone posted a link about an Explorer with a Cummins diesel long ago, but who knows where that is.

I belive you are prolly talking about the comment I made about the Cummins 4cylinder diesel that comes in the NPR box trucks.

A complete 4cylinder turbo w/trans was like $1000-$1200 (complete) out of the salvage yard I used to work at, the reason being, the parts for the engine are readily available, and the transmission was one that was also modded in other vehicle to accept a full size transfer case.

In any case the swap would prolly still cost $3000-$5000 to make it a working and functional project considering, haveing to locate a t-case do the extention housing conversion (don't even know if it would be a reverse rotation or not) and the driveshaft mod plus front axle if it wasn't a reverse rotaion set-up.

Now without any research I'm sure there there might even be an adapter to mate another type/style transmission that night work, a few calls to Cummins might do the trick but still the bottom line is $$$$$$$, and them making all the research happen, and testing your therory out once you have spent the dollars to get all the parts together in one place so you can see what all you have to offer.

As for the euro Ford diesel, that too is a great idea, but there again $$$$$ and research, you can still do all the research, but till you have it all sitting infront of you, there are still alot of questions that will be unanswered.
As for the hp, sure all you have to do it re-flash the program to mod the injector timing and pump distibution pressure, and mabey a clipped and turned turbo for it too.

I'm not downing the project by any means, please keep going with the enthusiasm, it keeps us all pumped and ready for a new view on what could really be, just always be forwarned that projects like these and many others don't come easy, I welcome the challenge and would love to do it myself, but just don't have the capitol needed to make this a reality for myself.

One of the trick would be to see if you could get someone on the other side of the pond to help you with your hands on reseearch, such as mesuring bell housing bolt spacing, motor mount spacing, engine length, over all length w/gear box, type of PCM, engine width same with the gear box, what spline yoke the d-shaft is, what the total wieght is of the engine and gearbox, and seperate units, what if any servcie you could get here in the states from Ford of UK, and don't forget the mates in Aussi land too.

Network, network, network!!!!!!

Good Luck and please keep us posted on all your findings, as we will be waiting anxiously with drooling mouths!!! ;)

Jeff - :navajo:

do they still use a similar 12v electrical and power dist system in those diesels over there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked England because they're kinda close, and they speak english :D

I told my dad about the project last night. He thinks it's a good idea. Kind of off track but still important, with car-part.com we found a used M5OD for $400. We're gonna have that brought in. If you haven't heard yet, my overdrive is blown, and pops out. I'll probably install it myself, since I have a Haynes manual and you guys to chat with if it gets ugly. From previous readings, it seems I'll need a new slave cylinder and throwout bearing, and a clutch/pressure plate if they're bad. But yay! No more 3100 rpm at 70 mph.

So once I get this project done with, I'll be able to focus more on this diesel. I'm not dead serious about going through with it, but I'd say I'm more serious than the typical 302 wannabe :D

With more thought, it seems I'm going to need:

-engine control computer, wiring harness

-glowplug stuff (if not part of the engine computer)

-fuel delivery stuff (different pump and a fuel filter, but the fuel filter stuff is probably a quick little JC whitney part)

-a service manual for an overseas Ranger

-a decent Ford dealer in England that can do a little bit of consulting

-a salvage yard that will make a decent deal and ship the stuff

I'll get a head of courage and call a dealer over there and ask the service department if it'll bolt to the M5OD. Mounts for it can't be that hard to make or come up with. Hell, it might drop in. This motor is smaller than a 4.0L and a lot smaller than any 302 so I don't think it'll be hard to squeeze it in. I don't have an automatic tranny to worry about, so computer control should be simple.

As said before, emissions are not a worry. Exhaust might be weird since who knows what the catalytic converter will think, and what will a Flowmaster series 40 sound with a turbo diesel in front of it!?

I don't have power locks or windows, so that's not a worry (I don't think it would be anyway)

Ignition switch will need to have provisions for glowplug operation, or a pushbutton switch put somewhere.

My family and I are good with car mechanicals, and we have a trained Ford mechanic that does work down the street (specializes in auto trannys) and there's Diesel Equipment a couple miles away in Potterville and all they do is diesel engine stuff.

I'll let you know what happens soon

Back