vss conversion

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
I found a 4406 manual shift off of a f-250 non superduty, for a killer price of 160 bucks, however it turns out the vss is in the axle housing on the f-series trucks. Is there a way i can have the vss read from the axle like in the 98-newer model explorers. If there is,what would i have to do. Can i drill a hole in the t-case where the vss would be compared to the expeditons that have the vss in the t-case.

If worse comes to worse and it doesnt work, can i get an aftermarket speedo?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its an AOD-E late model 6 bolt t case.
Not sure what the earlier AOD's used??

Here's the back of the 4r70W:
ready4tcase.jpg

Thats the AWD version of the 4r70w

I called ford just now and found out it will bolt up to any tranny for the 4406. I edited my post concerning the vss. But thanks 410, thats exactly what i was looking for.

I've seen people put the tone ring deal (that the sensor reads) on the ass end of the tcase (as in, right before the driveshaft, but outside the case). So that is an option. Or you may be able to use the Superlift True Speed things to convert the RABs reading to VSS.

section525 said:
I've seen people put the tone ring deal (that the sensor reads) on the ass end of the tcase (as in, right before the driveshaft, but outside the case). So that is an option. Or you may be able to use the Superlift True Speed things to convert the RABs reading to VSS.

So the tone ring will fit around the rear output? If thats the case i'll do that. What would i have to do to do this?

A lot of people fab the ring onto the output shaft much like a driveline brake. I was just reading a little on Pirate, looking for pictures, and it seems a few people have drilled out their tcase for a sensor as well.

If the 4406 is anything like our 4404s, then the ring will still be inside the transfer case even if the port is no longer there. As in, same reason why we only need to swap out the rear case of the 4404 to use a later model 4404 with no VSS port.

There will probably be a flat spot on the case and everything.. just no hole.

this is common on Ford t cases, you can see in the casting where the sensor would mount.

Subscribe. I need to do the same. If you run it for awhile with no VSS let me know if the tranny shifts correctly.

I have ran mine without the vss and there is a noticable difference. Shifting just isn't right. But it is driveable for a while. I think I did three months or so.

section525 said:
I have ran mine without the vss and there is a noticable difference. Shifting just isn't right. But it is driveable for a while. I think I did three months or so.

yours is on a 99 drive train...so from what i understand a fawked up speedo messes the shift points up on the 5r55e( correct lettering?). ExplorerDMB said when his speedo was off he noticed that the tranny shifted wierd and after an electronic recal all was fine.

Section, can you supply me a link to pirate for that thread. So did they just weld on a gear around the rear d-shaft and fab somethin to hold the sensor in there?
Another thing, that smooth spot where the vss would be if the sensor was there...could i drill it or something and pop the VSS in there?

I am running my BW1354 t case sensor wired to my 97.5 computer on the BII and it works (I can tell because it wont go into OD under 45mph and the cruise control works 45mph +)

Next I plan to ditch my crappy 88 gages and the speedo cable and run an electronic speedo like a Gen II
:)

bump...im sure this thread will help a lot of people as the f-150,250 boxes are waay cheaper than the expedtions....

If you get the case, check for the spot to tap it for vss. That would be the simplest way.

I am still using the '96 computer and speedo junk. Plus, I have a 4r70w. I don't know what you have been smoking in bangladesh, but don't bring any home on the plane. :p

not bangladesh...Jordan. That sheesha place did seem scetch yesterday...

You can go manual like im doing and not have to deal with all that electric crap.

[QUOTE='97 V8]

You can go manual like im doing and not have to deal with all that electric crap.[/QUOTE]

I did. :smoke:

thought so. you told me in the pm i sent you a loong while ago...if im not mistaken you advised me this route. But worst case scienario..if i cant drill the case...do you know how they attached the ring to the rear shaft? I would assume i would have to fab a little mount for the sensor to be held on by. Argh damn BW for making different t-cases.

I remember seeing one.. and they placed it right on the output shaft of the transfer case. Then they fabbed up the sensor mount off of the case. I wish I could find the thread or pictures.. but they seem to be lost.

It would definitely be custom.

Ahh ok. I'd rather do that instead of tap into the case to find that (a) there is no tone ring or (b) be slightly of in the hole. Would you have a picture of how a tone ring looks like..yes i have never seeen one before

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribesefesus

Back