How to Replaced Center Console

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Hey all

I'm about 300 miles into my new (to me) X and loving it. I've done all the basic tuneup pieces and ready to start fixing things.

My arm rest/center console is busted. The arm rest that lifts up to get to the compartment is broken off at the hinge. The plastic is thick, but I guess brittle. Its not a huge deal, I knew it was broken when I bought it, but I'd like to fix it. It's annoying.

So, I'd like to remove the entire console and put in a new one, prefferablly a factory replacement. Does Ford carry 10 year old SUV interior parts or should I look online? Can you recommend a dealer? I'd like to get new but I guess I could go to the bone yards...

Thoughts? It looks like a straight bolt on replacement. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being a professional, I'm maybe a 4-5 in skill level.

After the armrest, I plan on replacing a warped rear bumper.

Thanks Monte

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought one part of a console for my X off ebay. I'm sure a dealer can get it for you but it will probably be $$$$$. And for your rear bumper try LMCtruck. They seem to have lots of body related parts.

Brenden

Yep, pretty easy once know how to do it. I once took every single piece of it apart before figuring out that it was indeed 4 bolts. Doh! The two little storage compartments, and the cup holders, just pop out. Two bolts go to the dash, behind the storage bins, and two are under the cup holders. You'll need an extension to get to them. After that it won't see like it'll budge, but there is a big metal clip that it slides into, at the back, on the floor under it. It rusts, so you gotta get low on the console and pull it STRAIGHT BACK.

Also, check the vendor forum. Vendor ped5stang might have what you need. He's helped me out a couple times.

I have a gray full length console and overhead console. I bought them on the bay, but never took the time to install them in my 99 XLS. Interested?

Back